S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Places to buy engine internals

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Places to buy engine internals

Hey everyone, new to the forum and my first post. I've been looking around here for about a week now and finally decided to join

I've been looking for a Jag for a while now and have come across an '01 S type with a knocking 4.0 engine. I'm pretty knowledgeable with cars and have done engine swaps and a bunch of mechanical work, but it's all been on my '04 Mustang.

If I bought this I'd tear it down and probably rebuild the bottom end... the only problem is that I can't find any good sources/places to buy internals for the 4.0 that's in the S type. I wouldn't know until I got into it, but I'm planning on possibly replacing crankshaft, rods, pistons, all the bearings and seals, etc. There are tons of online sources for Mustang stuff, but I haven't been able to find much for the Jaguars. Can anyone direct me to a good source for this stuff?

I think Federal Mogul makes rings and maybe pistons for the 3.0, but I can't find anything for the 4.0 I don't need any forged internals, I'm just looking to build this S back to stock specs (which is still pretty good power IMO). I've looked in the stickies and the FAQ's but the only decent thing I could find was Racing Green, but that's in England so I didn't know if shipping would be ridiculous.

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The forum sponsors and Jag dealers spring to mind.

A quiet word: posting the same message in multiple places is not a good move, though perhaps understandable for a newbie. Hopefully a mod will combine them ASAP.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

BTW, Napa has full engine rebuild kits. (I've already looked into it for my 03 STR to go 30 over)

Mods sorry for the plug.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

That's got to be the kind of plug that's allowed

I hope.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i may be wrong but you can't get any , over size bearing shell's or piston's etc

read this it may be of use

http://www.racinggreencars.com/moder...J-V8Engine.pdf

Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
The forum sponsors and Jag dealers spring to mind.

A quiet word: posting the same message in multiple places is not a good move, though perhaps understandable for a newbie. Hopefully a mod will combine them ASAP.
I checked through the forum sponsors and all they have are accessories and little engine parts like spark plugs and hoses and stuff like that. I need the major engine components. If any of the sponsors want to chime and and direct me towards rebuild kits, crank shafts, rods, pistons, etc. that they sell that'd be a definite consideration.

I'll check with the European motors dealer/servicer by me but I would think anything from the dealer is going to be more expensive. I don't go cheap on projects, but a lot of times you can get the same part (same manufacturer and everything) at a local parts store or online for much cheaper than the dealer. I know there are a lot of things that you kinda HAVE to get from the dealer because it's a Jag, but I was hoping other places would carry the main engine components.

Sorry for the double post, didn't know it was frowned upon here. Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by Mafioso
BTW, Napa has full engine rebuild kits. (I've already looked into it for my 03 STR to go 30 over)

Mods sorry for the plug.
I'll definitely check into that. I hope plugs like that are allowed because that's kinda what I asked for lol I guess if Napa has them it'd be worth asking around at CarQuest and O'Reillys too eh?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM

On the same webite you linked, racinggreencars.com, you can get oversized crank and big end bearings

http://www.thejaguarshop.com/Jaguar/...wards/c%7C.htm

You may be right about the pistons and rings though. Someone said that local parts stores (napa, carquest, etc) carry rebuild kits for the 4.0 and you can get a .030 kit so I dunno. I'm going to do more checking this weekend.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

I'd guess some of the forum sponsors would sell a kit or just a list of parts if they knew you wanted them. Be sure to ask them. I don't think your kind of request occurs here often (or at all?) but most of us really couldn't attempt a rebuild like that!

That said, I'm definitely interested in what you find out, pictures of the rebuild, you name it And I guess I'm not the only one.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dcook_14

I'll definitely check into that. I hope plugs like that are allowed because that's kinda what I asked for lol I guess if Napa has them it'd be worth asking around at CarQuest and O'Reillys too eh?

I cant speak about the other companys, but I work for GPC which is the parent company of NAPA so I got curious and we do have short blocks long blocks and full engine kits, (pistons, rings, bolts, bearings,seals, gaskets,etc...)

Old 07-16-2010, 02:47 PM

jagV8 (or anyone else), what sponsors do you recommend I talk to?

And not to sound ignorant but you guys and gals around here don't build motors very often? I tried searching around the site for engine rebuilds and stuff like that but couldn't find much. I was hoping I wouldn't hop in here with this question and be "that newb" that asks the question that has been answered 1000 times :P

Thanks for the quick responses everyone, keep them coming! I didn't realize these boards saw this much activity, I'm pleasantly surprised

Old 07-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mafioso
I cant speak about the other companys, but I work for GPC which is the parent company of NAPA so I got curious and we do have short blocks long blocks and full engine kits, (pistons, rings, bolts, bearings,seals, gaskets,etc...)

Hmmm you've got my mouth watering now. This might actually be a possible project. I would absolutely love to get into an S Type

Old 07-16-2010, 02:53 PM

I have a thread on this topic in the S Type forum, if one of the mods wants to combine the info and stick this stuff in the S type forum also that'd be awesome

Old 07-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

I've been toying with the idea of buying a trashed motor, boring it out and shaving the heads a little bit. with some porting and bowl reshaping.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i put it down to my age ,you read things and then make it up your self.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:48 PM

Mafioso, I don't know if you have better connections than me, but I just looked on Napa's website and the only rebuild kit they list is for the 3.0

Are you sure you found rebuild kits for the 4.0, and not the 3.0?

Old 07-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

I have access to alot more info then napaonline. let me see if I can dig up the part numbers.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

All the 4.0 V8 engine blocks are the same with some differences in the oil pump/pickup tube later engines 2002MY>. The sump plates and lower sumps are specific to each application (AJ26,AJ27,AJ28). The cylinder heads are mostly compatible ('A'bank AJ26 has no VVT sensor). The can of worms you are opening is complicated. There is a stamping on the side of the block for piston/bore, crank/block, crank/journal dimensions. The bearing selection is a matrix with a color coded and numbered parts list. I had a discussion on this topic with a forum member several months ago. I suggest a search or get a copy of Jaguar V8 Engine Training Course 180 or V8/V6 Training Course 168. There might be an aftermarket generic rebuild kit but I have never used one.

bob gauff

Old 07-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by dcook
if one of the mods wants to combine the info and stick this stuff in the S type forum also that'd be awesome
merged, good luck

Old 07-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Matt.

Quick Reply: Places to buy engine internals