S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly buying an 03 STR....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying an 03 STR....

So I am looking at buying a car within the next week or so and the price on the unsd S-Type R's are not bad and the cars look really good on paper.

Overall how are the cars? Is the maintenance super high?

Looks like the 03's are the only ones around what I am looking to spend, should I avoid them?

I have been reading here for several hours today just looking to get some info pretty quick as my car is sold as of tomorrow and I have to make a decision pretty quick.

Any other input would be great.

Here is one of the three I am looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...t_37194wt_1197

Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

looks pretty good to me. Literally the same as mine except i dont have nav. If the tires are the eagle f1's they howl like crazy above 45mph

Old 07-23-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by phd12volt
looks pretty good to me. Literally the same as mine except i dont have nav. If the tires are the eagle f1's they howl like crazy above 45mph

Overall how has your experience been with the car? How has the cost of maint cost compared to other cars you have owned?

Old 07-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

There are literally dozens of threads on this exact topic.. even the same car (03 S-Type R) Just do a quick search. If you find yourself wondering any specific questions about it, just ask, but I have a feeling you will be surprised how much info and tips there are about buying one. Best of luck, Eric

Old 07-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

If that silver STR is as nice as it looks on eBay buy it - you simply can't get more bang for your buck...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by whiteSTR
There are literally dozens of threads on this exact topic.. even the same car (03 S-Type R) Just do a quick search. If you find yourself wondering any specific questions about it, just ask, but I have a feeling you will be surprised how much info and tips there are about buying one. Best of luck, Eric
I have been ready, but as I stated in my first post I am looking to purchase rather quickly and looking for some tip. I am actually going to be purchasing sooner than I thought.

Originally Posted by searanch
If that silver STR is as nice as it looks on eBay buy it - you simply can't get more bang for your buck...

Thats the thing, the car looks so damn nice and on paper like a steal. Just do not want to be stuck in a car costing me thousand of dollars every couple of months to drive.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Look, lets put this in some perspective relative to cost of ownership. First, any 03' car ya buy is out of warranty. The rates for extended warranty for an STR are exactly the same as a BMW, Mercedes, Corvette, etc.

The reliability of an STR is comparable to BMW and superior to Mercedes. Take any of the above mentioned cars to a dealer for service and repair you will pay a heavy cost.

Drive an STR hard and count on replacing brakes and tires pretty regularly. Now, when ya buy that silver STR here is what ya need to do. Replace the air filter with a drop in K&N performance filter ($50), replace the brake pads with Akebono ceramics ($185). Change the oil to Synthetic ($50 - $75) and regularly thereafter every 3K to 5K. Check all the belts and hoses and replace any that show wear.

A set of Nexen N3000 tires can be had for less than $500. This car is actually cheaper to keep maintained than my Land Rover.

I purchased an 03' last September for just under $20,000 with 20K and it just turned 30K yesterday. The STR has run flawlessly and no I don't have extended warranty although it came with it but expired four months ago.

The only other mods I made were H&R performance springs to lower the car 1.5 inches ($400), replace the hood leaper with a flush hood emblem ($150 less $100 when I sold the leaper) and update the navigation DVD ($200).

Everytime I get in this car I can't help but smile at just how much fun to drive it is relative to what I paid for it. Oh, I haven't seen a single STR on the road up here in Canada's wine country although I did have a guy try me on in a 4.2 S-Type and absolutely destroyed him after letting him stay with me up to about 80mph and then pulled on him like he had just parked. He caught up to me later at a winery I was visiting and we had a good chin wag with a nice glass of Quails Gate 2004 Reserve Foch on my dime.

Have that silver STR checked out and get a CarFax. Then buy it...

Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 AM

LOL, any car you can buy will be cheaper to maintain than a Land Rover but I get what your saying.

I know that is will cost more than a Civic to maintain and it is out of warranty, and I do a lot of my own work. I just do not want to buy the car and be spending hundreds every other month to keep it running.

I have always had performance style cars so spending extra on oil and $600-900 on tires is normal to me.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:46 AM

What are you thoughts on this one?

It is 700 miles closer to me and about 3 grand less.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Last edited by Bimmerman; 07-24-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They aren't cheap to run, but then again nothing in this class is. It's been my experience that Jags are actually either no worse than, or better than a comparable BMW, Audi or Mercedes. Every car has its' issues, and some Jags should be avoided, namely early S Types (Which an 03 isn't) and early V8s have the timing chain and tensioner issues, again, an 03 is immune from this issue.

You'll also find that no other car has a ride and handling balance of a Jaguar, my XJ8 is at least as stable in the corners as my 7 series and rides better than the BMW by a LONG shot.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

i have had to replace the thermostat, and torque converter. Thermostat 14 dollars. Torque cnverter was about 3000 but covered under warranty. about 300 out of pocket total for that.

so far thats it. i cant help wanting to drive it everyday.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

te second one has 77k on it?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Cool 70K is too high a mileage...

The asking price on the STR on eBay and AutoTrader may be 3k but the mileage is 30K more and not worth the 3K savings. Of course nothing says that you can't get that STR on eBay for less than the "Buy It Now" price.

The silver STR is your car just do your due diligence by calling the dealer and get the complete history and have someone go and check it out before ya bid. If successful get on a plane and go pick it up and drive it home - the further the better.

I drove mine home solo for 2,250 miles and enjoyed the sh*t out it. Of course I left "she who must be obeyed" at home and drove as fast/slow as I wanted. Stopped along the way for cigars, wine and scenery - nothing better...