Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purging my coolant syustem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Purging my coolant syustem

Howdy Folks!!...
I've gone through the FAQ's... and I can't find anything on purging the air out of my 2005 STR coolant system. I've got a new Coolant Tank Bleeder Hose on order, but I'm looking for a block of instruction on how... to bleed the system. I've perused threads where they talk about instructions from the JTIS... I've gone through the menu's till my teeth turned green, and have found nothing other than how to r&r various parts. Perhaps I'm missing something from the program... HALP!!...

Thank'yea kindly...
Fast Freddie

Old 09-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

jagv8 may know, as well as Brutal, who is a Jag mechanic.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I don't think the 05 is any different in this repect so the various existing posts should be all you need. I feel it must also be in JTIS. If you really want jag's way, join their TOPIx. It has the whole manual for your (& later+earlier) cars.

STRs have 2 cooling circuits sharing the one expansion / header tank, as has been mentioned a lot

Old 09-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Here's how I did it.

There are tolls (LOL I mean't tools damn it!) for $175-$225 for doing this via an air compressor. I didn't do that though.

I did this last year when I flushed my 2005 STR. The JTIS has something on it but I used common sense as well.

I will say that the silly threaded burp fitting on the expansion take is a real PITA once the coolant gets warm. Personally, I'd leave it alone. It's too easy to damage. I wish it just had a petcock on there instead.

I did the Intercooler system separately by burping via the hose that connects it to the expansion tank. I didn't want to disturb the big threaded plugs. That's also how I filled it. You have to disconnect a lower hose to drain it. The belly pan has to come off for all of this. That worked great. Do it before you get the car hot and then move on to the main system.

On a lot of my cars I add a burping hose and valve at the appropriate location. I haven't done that to this one yet. It consists of a Tee fitting a length of hose about 12" long with a brass fish tank valve on the end of it.

You can then drop the end of the hose into a container with coolant in it and open the valve. Then watch the bubbles come out.

Be very careful dealing with anything that's plastic in the cooling system on this car. I think they used a low grade of plastic and that tank can be ever so slightly cracked around a nipple.

Last edited by Staatsof; 09-14-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Tools and tolls is different gents! LOL :)
The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (09-14-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM

"Sigh"...Hahahaaa...This is like pullin' Hens Teeth...

Hmmmmm...where's my dog.. I need to kick him around some more.. Wait....I don't have a dog...and my wife kicks back...

Thankee Gents

FF

Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Lol!

Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Default Just noticed this my own dumb typo :)

What the hell is a "syustem". Is that one of those southern things or what?

Old 09-14-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
What the hell is a "syustem". Is that one of those southern things or what?

Heheheee.... depends upon what part of th' Country your from....

Old 09-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hafferf
Howdy Folks!!...
I've gone through the FAQ's... and I can't find anything on purging the air out of my 2005 STR coolant system. I've got a new Coolant Tank Bleeder Hose on order, but I'm looking for a block of instruction on how... to bleed the system. I've perused threads where they talk about instructions from the JTIS... I've gone through the menu's till my teeth turned green, and have found nothing other than how to r&r various parts. Perhaps I'm missing something from the program... HALP!!...

Thank'yea kindly...
Fast Freddie
I assume you will be draining the system. With a new coolant mix at hand open the bleeder on the expansion tank. Take the cover off the supercharger and on the passenger side of the S/C you will see a large hex plug. Remove it and have someone watch while you pour the coolant mix into the expansion tank. When the coolant starts to come up the threads on the supercharger line replace the hex plug.

When the expansion tank is full close the bleeder and install the expansion tank cap. Start the car and set the heat temp to max and run until the engine is at operating temperature.

Shut down the engine and let cool until you can top up the expansion tank to max. Done...

This advice is worth exactly what ya paid for it...

The following 2 users liked this post by searanch:
hafferf (09-15-2011), Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)
Old 09-15-2011, 02:27 PM

Thank you searanch.... you are a Gentleman AND...a Scholar

Oddly enough...I also found (finally) the procedure in the JTIS earlier this morning. It was buried under "radiator removal" instructions... on the installing steps on the second half of the page (yeah..the one that you have to scroll down 12 miles to find. But alas.. my fellow peers were correct, it was in there. I ought to do a thread called "Bleeding procedures on a 2005 STR", and post the instructions. So it will be easier for Knotheads like me to find in :Search mode".

Thank you all for the assist in helping me on this Snipe Hunt.

Also searanch, the instructions also called for the big "Hex" cap removal to top off the supercharger, but when I queried Monte Shelton Jaguar in Portland (to ask the size of the plug and get a new "Supercharger Coolant Filler Plug Sealing Washer". The shop foreman indicated that removal of that plug wasn't necessary.

And...as an aside...to those of you who were saying 1/4 or 90 degree turn on the "Expansion Tank Bleeder Valve" The instructions say to take it out. Mine had threads all the way down to the end.... popped right out.
So, go figure... But of course that's on my tank... possibly they made some changes...

Thanks again Folks

Fast Freddie

Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)
Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 PM

I don't care what the foreman said remove the plug. You can't afford to have any air in the S/C coolant lines. You don't need to replace the brass sealing washer just re-use the one ya got assuming you didn't damage it.

The plug is the highest point in the whole cooling system insuring no air in the system.

Capiche...

Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)
Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Yes that is the correct procedure. But I have drained and filled my 2005 STR multiple times without any of that. I just fill it as far as it will go then idle the engine until warm and shut off. After cooling I top of the tank and watch it for the next several days and add coolant if needed.

Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)
Old 09-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

My local jag dealer says they don't bleed it using the big hex.

I don't see how it can hurt to do so. I do see that if not bled enough then problems will result.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member

The reason I mention the power bleeder is that many modern cooling systems are Rube Goldberg type tortured systems when it comes to the plumbing. In the UK it's a different fellow Heath Robinson something or other I forget.

These systems can develop air pockets and those can do damage if you get the car really hot and a pocket is still in the system. The power bleeder makes it quick and fool proof.

When I did my STR I had to burp it three or 4 times on the initial fill. That bleed port is a PITA if the coolant is hot. I checked it every day for a few days and topped it off as necessary.

Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)
Old 09-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

You got the name right (not used much any more, though).

Old 09-15-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by searanch
I don't care what the foreman said remove the plug. You can't afford to have any air in the S/C coolant lines. You don't need to replace the brass sealing washer just re-use the one ya got assuming you didn't damage it.

The plug is the highest point in the whole cooling system insuring no air in the system.

Capiche...
Jawohl Mien Herr!!... (as I click my heels). Just kidding Do you happen to recall the size of that "Hex" wrench??... Your comment was emphatic enough that this Old Jarhead will heed your advice. So it's a brass washer. I'll be in Portland next week... I'll stop at Monte Sheltons Jaguar...lay my billfold on th' Counter, and as I step back with my hands over my head, I'll purchase a washer.

Drive On!!...

Fast Freddie

Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

I thought it was a rubber sealing washer. (Your jag dealer's parts system will know, though.)

It's a big hex. I've nothing to fit it.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Yee-Gads!!... Caught with no counter-spell...

FF...

Old 09-15-2011, 07:34 PM

Jaysus the damn sealing washer is brass a 1/4" thick - re-use it.

The thumping you hear is my forehead bangin' on my keyboard...

Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Yes that was the issue when I thought about using it as well. The hex to fit it wasn't so readily available where I live and so I went the route I did as mentioned in a previous post. You're not going to get air pockets stuck in the liquid intercooler circuit that's going to cause problems anyway. It's pretty easy to burp that circuit even without removing that big *** plug. It's air pockets in the engines cooling system you need to watch.

Last edited by Staatsof; 09-15-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Mclovin22 (10-02-2023)