S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about checking fuel pump circuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about checking fuel pump circuit

I have a 2001 S-type that is not getting any fuel. There is zero fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Prior to this, it starting going through a misfire mode, so I parked it until I had time to work on it. I moved the car around several times and then it wouldn't start at all. So I started doing several test, as noted below.

The first test, using either Alldata or JTIS for all of the tests.

A1 - AUDIBLE CHECK OF THE FUEL PUMP RELAY LOCATE the fuel pump relay at the rear power distribution box.Audibly CHECK the fuel pump relay for a clicking noise, while an assistant switches the ignition switch to the RUN position.Is the fuel pump relay clicking?

What we get is a single click.

The second test, using a VOM

A2 - CHECK THE POSITIVE SUPPLY TO THE FUEL PUMP Switch the ignition to the OFF position.Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector FP4.Switch the ignition to the RUN position.Measure the pulse width modulation voltage between the fuel pump electrical connector FP4 pin 1, (GO) and ground.Is there a 1 second, 12 volts voltage signal after the ignition is switched on?

What I get here is a constant 12 volts.

About six months ago I changed the fuel filter and there was a lot of black residue in the gas. Is it possible that the fuel pump ate itself up from a bad relay? The fuel pump isn't working, and I hate to put another new one in and have a similar problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the previous post I forgot to mention that it is a V6 engine and the car has about 105K miles, if that matters.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Received 60 Likes on 13 Posts
Default You're testing it incorrectly.

The GO wire should be battery voltage when the key is on. The rear electronics control module sends this to the pump and is basically passing along the voltage from the fuel pump relay. The rear electronics module is pulse width modulating the ground to control the pump, not the power supply. Test for voltage between pins 1 and 3 in the FP4 connector, #1 GO battery voltage, #3 BR pulse width modulated ground. Any voltage over 10 volts tested across these 2 wires should run the pump.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you just need a fuel pump to me. I just replaced mine on my 06 w/ 100k on it.

the 1st pump that I bought for my 3.0 was the wrong one though (I guess it's the older style like yours), but it also came from another local 06 s type. my pump had a green top. the one that I bought has a white top and has the 2 long hoses/cables that run to the other side. if that's what you need, I'll make you a deal on mine.

just pull out the back seat bottoms and remove the passenger side black fuel pump cover and take a picture to see if it's the same.