S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The R modding begins.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The R modding begins.....

Greetings all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've read, with great interest, the majority of the modding posts here and it looks like with the low build numbers, a lot of what is in store for the R is going to be uncharted territory. I'm no stranger to thinking outside of the box and hopefully I can keep this thread active over the next few months and it can be uses as a resource for those who wish to follow.

The subject for this build is my '03 R with 50K on the odometer. With the exception of new pads/rotors/tires and routine oil changes, this is the only steed in the garage that hasn't been touched....unfortunately for the R, it's time has come.

The following items have been ordered and I eagerly await their delivery so I can get my hands dirty once again:

1. Argos Bluetooth system for Jaguar: www.incartronics.com

2. Gateway 500 Ipod/Satellite Radio Interface www.incartronics.com

Both claim to be a plug and play solution to the cars that are pre-wired for the telephone but do not have the system fully installed. We'll see if that statement bears fruit.

For the exterior, I opted to stay with tried and true (albeit expensive as all get out) Arden as my modding skills fall far short of bodywork.

The front spoiler looks aggressive and should fit my needs, the supplier didn't have one in stock, but was going to 'source' one from their British partners...again, we'll see. Fortunately only a small deposit was required to get the ball rolling:

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/pc-34...r-to-2004.aspx

For wheels I opted to go with a familiar supplier to me, Complete Custom Wheels. They have built a number of wheels for me in the past for track duty and I would rather have a smallish investment for custom wheels versus going HRE or similar. Long gone are the days of deep lips for me, I prefer the monoblock style. The wheels pictured will go out for custom powder coating when they arrive, in the same color as the body of the R (dark greyish).

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/wheelpr...ay.php?id=C140

Finally, performance wise I am giving EuroToys a shot with their Porting and Pulley package, plus ECU tune. Ultimately, I am hoping to find a twin screw set up that I can have adapted to this platform. I don't use any of my modded street cars for trips down the 1/4 mile, but for grins going from point A to point B....and the occassional late night shenanigans.

Exhaust will be a custom set up from a small fab shop that specializes in Porsches.

I have a local shop that I use for dynoing the other toys so a full before and after will be done in stages to keep all of these vendors honest.

Attached Thumbnails The R modding begins.....-argos_adapter.jpg   The R modding begins.....-gateway500.jpg   The R modding begins.....-341.jpg   The R modding begins.....-photo_main.jpg  

Last edited by jstgermaine; 02-14-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 AM

WOW that's expensive stuff. I guess you really have to like that factory radio when a better aftermarket unit costs less than those two add-ons!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I was going to comment on your plans earlier, but I lost the thread.. I happen to agree with just about everything your going to do to your R... Complete Customs are great, I'm actually getting a set of their classics for my Duster this summer.. EuroToys does a good job as well, but I would recommend using Stiegemeier for the port work and pulley as he is the Best in the business.. and that front spoiler looks neat, but I personally would just go with the 05'+ bumper because it looks really clean.. Hope everything turns out well, and take plenty of pictures through the process.. Eric

Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

99-9500 metra kit for vehicles without nav, does your car have nav or not?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

eric do you use your front fog lights at night? 05s and up ahve no fronts and that was my big no for not getting one besides different looks

also CCWs are very nice from what ive heard one of my boca/UF friends swears by them n has them on all his cars, he went to HS with the kid that owns it His intials are CC i think lol

Old 02-25-2009, 11:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*BUMP* any updates on the parts install , dyno, wheels..........pics ????

Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Yo Erik, I don't really use them.. I was doing donuts in the rain one time with my friend and the left light fell out and I never replaced the bulb.. Mine also have a sealing problem and seem to fill up with water whenever I wash the car. I plan on upgrading to projector fog lights with 3000k HIDs in the near future.. Eric

Last edited by whiteSTR; 02-26-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:52 PM

bump up

Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM

bump top

Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Expensive is an understatement....!! I thought my 911 was expensive to mod...at least there are several manufacturers to choose from there.

I apologize for the delay in posting fellas, life & work got in the way again! I have several boxes of shiny parts to go through as well as waiting a week or two for this cold front to move on!!

It's not that I absolutely LOVE the factory Alpine with Nav, but I want full integration with the factory controls.

The CCW's have been ordered and should be here late Mar or early April. I concur Erik, I love CCW, have a set for both 911s!! The only place we disagree is the front bumper. I love the fog lights and with the 05 bumper I lose em and can't put an aftermarket set in or I lose the cooling for the the intercoolers.

I'll be sure to document everything, but for now I am in a waiting pattern.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 PM

cool , keep us "R" performance enthusiats informed.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with most things Eric says but in regards to the porting, I have seen steigs so called port and it is not nearly as good as Magnum Powers. They ported my XJR blower and I compared it to a Steigs port and lets say the Steigs didn't even look ported the owner also said he didn't feel much of a difference at all. Unless Stieg has changed thier port I think its a waste of money but again this is my opinion. Magnum powers asked that I not post pics on sites because Steig takes his ports and copies them.

Magnumpowers.com

You will not see the Jag listed but he does these by hand! PM me for details.

Last edited by SilverSTR; 03-13-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Any updates???

Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 PM

I look forward to seeing a picture with the new wheels.