Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-Type coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-Type coolant leak

2005 s type 3.0 engine.
I’ve had a very minor coolant leak for about six months. After reading the forum, most feel it is usually stemming from a cracked nipple on the upper tank. This was not the case for me. When changing oil and removing the belly pan I found coolant on the pan. I looked up at the rear of the engine but couldn’t see anything. Reaching up I could get some coolant on my fingers. I,m thinking oh no, head gasket! But it really didn’t seem like a head gasket, the leak is to slow and no overheating. Well I got one of those flexible cameras that hook to my iPhone and started looking around. I found the general area but will need to take the intake off to find the precise area of the leak. It appears to be in the valley between the heads near the front of the engine. Has anyone had any experience with coolant leaks in this area? I’d appreciate any input if so. The intake doesn’t look too bad to remove and should give me ample room to find and fix the leak but I’d like to know if there are any pitfalls along the way. Thanks

Old 02-18-2018, 04:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,821 Likes on 12,177 Posts

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 02-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

This hose is serviced as an assembly with an aluminum horn attached. It is at the front of the 3.0L. If you are headed for intake removal in search of a coolant leak, you may need this tip:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...p-3-0l-126574/

The following users liked this post:
lowride (02-18-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lowride
2005 s type 3.0 engine.
I’ve had a very minor coolant leak for about six months. After reading the forum, most feel it is usually stemming from a cracked nipple on the upper tank. This was not the case for me. When changing oil and removing the belly pan I found coolant on the pan. I looked up at the rear of the engine but couldn’t see anything. Reaching up I could get some coolant on my fingers. I,m thinking oh no, head gasket! But it really didn’t seem like a head gasket, the leak is to slow and no overheating. Well I got one of those flexible cameras that hook to my iPhone and started looking around. I found the general area but will need to take the intake off to find the precise area of the leak. It appears to be in the valley between the heads near the front of the engine. Has anyone had any experience with coolant leaks in this area? I’d appreciate any input if so. The intake doesn’t look too bad to remove and should give me ample room to find and fix the leak but I’d like to know if there are any pitfalls along the way. Thanks
that sounds to me to be in the vicinity of the thermostat housing. Maybe a gasket or cracked hose there?