Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type fuel door latch

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S Type fuel door latch

Good Evening!
Read a post several months ago about a guy describing the small plastic latch inside the fuel cap compartment in the middle of the two spring clips that holds the fuel door closed breaking off. "Bummer" I thought! Well now a really BIG bummer as I managed to break mine. I can't even blame it on my wife or the kids. Now I can't find his thread. I tried some Gorilla Glue, (seems to work on everything) didn't work in this case. Wondering if anyone has seen that thread or how many hundreds of dollars a little plastic repair might be. Or am I destined for a buck and a half worth of velcro fastner for the inside of the fuel filler door? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

there not that expensive i can give u a quote if u'd like msg with your last six of ur vin

Old 06-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Our fuel lid latch assembly has been replaced twice under warranty in a five-month period. It's a design flaw - that plastic pin should be replaced with a metal one, in my opinion.

I like your idea of velcro as a permanent solution. Once our car is out of warranty and this happens again, I think I'll go with your velcro fix....

Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Thanks Jag_Genius. The last 6 are N46088.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I stopped for gas last night, so I figured I'd look. Damn, mine is cracked as well. Still works, but is breaking none the less. I don't think I'd do the velcro thing. There is no detent to put your finger in. What I am going to do is ask that my dealer give me back the broken part when they replace it, since it is under warranty. Then I'm going to mess with fabbing a metal replacement. I'll let everyone know how I make out. I think I can come up with a metal clip that can mount in place of the plastic one.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-05-2013)
Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Sign me up for one of your fabricated metal pins if you are successful with your prototype. It will need to be lightweight in order to be able to slide back and forth continuously without damaging the assembly. Perhaps aluminum would be the best material to start with....

Keep us posted....

Oh, and those of you who require your dealer to fix this issue for you - be sure to point out that this is a pain-in-the-*** design flaw that Jaguar could easily solve by going to a metal pin. Jaguar would be more likely to step up to the plate if the numbers of complaints by us owners begin to mount. I've already contacted Jaguar Corporate about it....

Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

JOsworth,

Any updates to share as far as coming up with a metal prototype?

Even though our latch assembly has been replaced twice under warranty (the second time still less than a month ago), sometimes the fuel filler lid will not lock into position until I go press the "open lid" button on the dash again after filling the tank and then go back to close the lid....

Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Jon89
JOsworth,

Any updates to share as far as coming up with a metal prototype?

Even though our latch assembly has been replaced twice under warranty (the second time still less than a month ago), sometimes the fuel filler lid will not lock into position until I go press the "open lid" button on the dash again after filling the tank and then go back to close the lid....
Not yet, haven't had the chance to get to the dealer. Have an apointment for the 23rd.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would suspect that they won't give you the old part, particularly since it's a warranty item. I would think that they would be forced to send it back to Jaguar to collect their credit on the item. I love the idea you have, just don't wont you to be disappointed. Maybe you could ask them to save one from a customer pay ticket and let you have it.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by ken@britishparts.com
I would suspect that they won't give you the old part, particularly since it's a warranty item. I would think that they would be forced to send it back to Jaguar to collect their credit on the item. I love the idea you have, just don't wont you to be disappointed. Maybe you could ask them to save one from a customer pay ticket and let you have it.
Ahhh, I thought that may be the case. I'll try and see. Thanks Ken!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 PM

A few of you mentioned that you had it repaired under warranty, do you have an approximate cost?? Just curious.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2009, 12:34 AM

What a coincidence. During my first fillup the other day, my gas lid would not shut. I thought, not another issue. I tried to have the plastic "tongue" the holds the lid shut pulled out, but it did not keep the lid closed. I went twice to push the gas button and finally it stayed closed. Now I se this timely thread. I am not under warranty, I may have no chioce but to go velcro if this keeps up. Any one have any other ideas?

Old 06-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

I still believe that replacing the OEM plastic pin with a fabricated metal one would offer the highest probability of finding a permanent solution. But if JOsworth's dealership won't give him the old plastic pin once his new one is installed because they must return the old pin for warranty reimbursement, it may be difficult to create a prototype. Perhaps the dealership would be willing to allow him to make some clay impressions of the pin. That way, he at least has a mold to work from....

Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuel flap release spring

I am currently dealing with this issue on a 2006 S-Type. The little plastic plunger that releases the fuel door and then resets itself to hold the door closed has broken off. Now my fuel door is half closed.

Luckily, my car has several months of warranty left and I took it to the dealer. They have ordered a new actuator for the fuel latch mechanism. I assume that part will include the springs and plastic plunger.

But you can also find a replacement part at Coventry West in Atlanta for around $112 if you want tackle this yourself. I was just going to try a fix myself until I thought to check with the dealer on the warranty.

The design of this original actuator does not seem to be real sturdy and hopefully they have redesigned the replacement part.

On my car, when you press the fuel flap release button on the dash, the fuel door would not fully release. I think the plunger was getting stuck.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Our entire latch assembly has been replaced twice under warranty since December, the last time just over a month ago. And the new plastic pin is acting up yet again. Sometimes you have to press the fuel filler lid release button on the dash twice before the pin will properly engage and lock after you're done filling the tank. I'm going to have our dealership look at it again when I take the car in for its final factory warranty punch list by mid-July, but I have zero confidence that still another assembly replacement will permanently fix the problem. Until that plastic pin is replaced by a more durable substance such as metal, I expect this to be a recurring problem for all of us. I have reported this issue to Jaguar Corporate as a design flaw. They thanked me for my input and sent me a $100 Jaguar gift certificate for my troubles, but thus far no solution....

Old 06-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Smile Me Too!! with the fuel latch thingamadiggy

Well as they say misery loves company! So for the sake of joining the rest of you...while gassing up the other day I went to shut the fuel door and guess what....that darn little plastic thing broke off!

Sooo, guess I'll call my Memphis Jag dealer hope my warranty's still good!

Old 06-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Question Need help finding fuel door thingamagig

Originally Posted by jag_genius
there not that expensive i can give u a quote if u'd like msg with your last six of ur vin
Well, just found out my 05 is a month out of warranty...have been searching the net trying to find the "actuator for fuel latch mechanism" (aka "thingamagig" or that "darn little plastic piece that apparently loves to break off") but so far can't find one. So does anyone know where on earth I can find one? Or what the part number is? Yep, I am trying to keep from going to dealership and paying $$$$ for a $ part!!

05 S-type V8

Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Our entire fuel filler lid assembly (including the motor and actuator) was replaced under warranty yesterday for the THIRD time since mid-December. While I appreciate my dealer's willingness to provide me with new parts every few months, our factory warranty expires on July 18th. I still believe that a permanent solution won't happen until that plastic latch pin is replaced with a metal one....

Jaguar Corporate, are you listening to us ????

Old 07-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I suspect car corporates don't really take notice of forums, sadly.

I wonder why some break often yet others don't appear to break at all.

I also wonder whether there may be more than one type of closure fitting, to explain this. For all I know, they may NOT be all alike!

John

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-16-2016)
Old 07-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Veteran member

Unfortunately, my dealer didn't remember to save my old gas door. With the significant other ready to have our daughter any day now I didn't even to think to ask when I picked the car up. Sorry guys. I still think one could be made from metal to fit the door but it will be a while before I will be able to get over my friend's house to tinker. Heck, with everything going on, I haven't had the time to give the S a proper bath. If it wasn't for the complimentary wash I get from the dealer when she goes in, it would be real dirty...

Quick Reply: S Type fuel door latch