S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type fuel door latch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door latch update

Thanks to you guys that have put responses on this thread and across the forum.

As an update, in the UK/ GB, the two dealership kits available include the plunger pin, so I have replaced the broken pin and the actuator and still a spare for both from the kits. The plunger was liberally oiled before refitting and I oil every 2 weeks and am gentle in closing the flap. Had tried the Velcro route as a stop gap but didn't work, so put up with it until the fix. Regards

Walt

Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Please post the descriptions, part numbers and costs - whatever you have basically!

Someone will need them

Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ack, add another one to the list!

Anywhere I can buy these online, part numbers?
Any disassemble/assemble instructions?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Default Fuel flap

Two kits available - each has a plunger pin and both only around £18/ 20 + VAT dealer prices. Hope that helps, regards
Walter

Old 05-14-2012, 04:44 AM
Default Fuel flap

Easy DIY job - ask if you want pointers
Walter

Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM

I've ordered part XR857532, hopefully thats correct. £25 here in the UK, all for a 10p peice of plastic!

I removed the existing actuator and pin last night to try and fix it - but its not going to happen. However I can't work out an easy way of loosening/tightening the screws that hold the actuator onto the bracket. I am currently manhandling the bracket to get at the rear/lower screw with a screwdriver and then just pulling. I'm a little concerned I might break the bracket - however I cant see any other way!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

As all of us who've been through these faulty latch pin issues know, the pin should have been metal, not plastic. Keeping it lubed with lithium white grease periodically has kept our S-Type's third one working but I know that if we keep the car long enough, I'll be dealing with it yet again....

If it's any consolation, my wife's recently-acquired 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible suffers from this issue as well. I keep its pin lubed with white lithium grease just like our S-Type's pin. I can find no record of her XK8's pin assembly ever being replaced under warranty, so I believe I'm dealing with the original factory pin assembly on this particular car. After fueling up this past Saturday morning, I had to press the fuel filler door release button on the dash twice before the pin would finally release enough to allow me to close the hatch completely. I let out a few choice words that probably made the lady at the fuel pump next to me a bit uncomfortable....

Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Done dealing with this problem. Spent $1 on some velcro, bent back the door springs and have not looked back. The last one did not even last a month before it broke.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:03 AM

Amoeba, did you remove the part from the car? Not sure what you mean if you have but I will check on my spares when I am home, the mechanism in the boot sits behind park brake unit, which if you unscrew and move to one side all the actuator fixing screws are accessible. With the rear wheel off you can take off the wheel arch shroud giving access to the back of the fuel filler which is helpful in removing/ replacing the actuator. Hope this helps? Walter

Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Walter Brooks
Amoeba, did you remove the part from the car? Not sure what you mean if you have but I will check on my spares when I am home, the mechanism in the boot sits behind park brake unit, which if you unscrew and move to one side all the actuator fixing screws are accessible. With the rear wheel off you can take off the wheel arch shroud giving access to the back of the fuel filler which is helpful in removing/ replacing the actuator. Hope this helps? Walter
Yes I removed already, in an unsuccessful attempt to fix;

- Right hand side of the boot, there is a metal plate with some electronic gizmos on. 4 bolts removed, and it pulls away.
- Then I can see the back of the Actuator. If I manhandle the actuator, I can manage to get a screwdriver to the rear-lower screw and undo. Then I can pull the actuator out, along with the pin.

Its manhandling the actuator I am worried about. I cant see how I can get good access with a screw driver, as there is the inner bodywork in the way. Unless I can remove the fixing the actuator connects to?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Cheap Plastic POS!

Why is this door plastic?

I've been nervous about this since the day I picked this car up. Most gas station attendants are as well. Last week I slathered some silicone grease on the plastic tip. I can't say it made it feel any better though. The trouble with grease in this location is that it attracts dirt, grit and grime.

I see a real PITA with this in my future.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 AM

Here is a link to a photo of the part: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...13767849199298

(if anyone can work out how to do direct links to google+ photos, please let me know!)

That is part XR857532, thankfully it IS the right part. I purchased it from here Jaguar Parts detail from David Manners Ltd and although their website doesnt seem to accept payment properly, and I had to phone, the service was good and delivery was prompt.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-30-2013)
Old 05-18-2012, 04:47 AM
Default Actuator

Amoeba, think you have to access the back of the fuel cap housing via the wheel arch as well from what I remember (as described earlier). If you still having problems email me at walterbrooks07@gmail.com. Regards
Walter

Old 06-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default actuator

Originally Posted by Treasures
Well, just found out my 05 is a month out of warranty...have been searching the net trying to find the "actuator for fuel latch mechanism" (aka "thingamagig" or that "darn little plastic piece that apparently loves to break off") but so far can't find one. So does anyone know where on earth I can find one? Or what the part number is? Yep, I am trying to keep from going to dealership and paying $$$$ for a $ part!!

05 S-type V8
Have u tried ebay got one myself.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a similar problem with the fuel filler latch and thought 'What a stupid idea to have a plastic bolt.' Then I realised that if it was metal and the solenoid packed in, how the hell could you open the door to repair it? At least with plastic you can force it open and snap the pin. Guess the answer is to close it slowly and gently and push it shut rather than slam it.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

On my 05 I just removed the spring completely and now the door sits flush and does not move at all when I drive. After the pin broke I tried thinking of all these magic ways to fix it, but after over-thinking it for days I had a good look in there and saw that it was just the spring in the way that made the door stick out, spring out problem solved.

monzastrimon (10-29-2013)
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default A little of this seems to help

Jaguar replaced the pin three times under warranty. When the warranty
expired, I started coating the pin with an anti-seize compound; the same
stuff I used on the spark plugs when I replaced them. It's a 'silvery'
compound that doesn't attract dust and dirt like oil or grease. I smear
it all over the pin, then actuate the pin a few times and wipe off the
excess. Been doing this every few months for the last 70K miles and
have had no problems.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-05-2013)
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 AM

Have you looked on e-bay, thats were i got mine.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 AM

Hi, i replaced mine about a month ago, open your boot and take the lineing out on right hand side you will see a black plate with nuts undo nuts and lower, you will see another plate with wireing harnesses attached undo nuts, theres three or four pull plate through and let it hang down with wireing attached, as you look into space put your hand behind and feel up for actuator it is awkward to get to, but release the wireing harness from actuatot then unscrew the two screws holding it in place dont take screws right out as you just loosen them and take hold of actuator and slide it off screws ,hope you can under stand this its quite easy and takes about 20 minutes.

Last edited by koolmanpete; 07-17-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Unhappy Next! mine broke this weekend -P/N here

S-type 2005 (depends on your VIN, per parts guy- two models...)

Housing
XR855934

Actuator
XR855935

**per parts guy at dealerlship this is a 2nd edition revised part replacement. But the actuator is still plastic. Everything is plastic today....(quoted).
A thanks to my profile if you could...

The following 3 users liked this post by rocam81:
gsalton (01-22-2019), Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-05-2013), monzastrimon (10-29-2013)

Quick Reply: S Type fuel door latch