S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type gauge swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S type gauge swap

So I picked up a 2005 gauge set for cheap. I want to swap it into my 2003. I know I have to change the connectors (Which I have) I also know that the car wont start after I do the swap. The question is: can I reprogram the instrument cluster with the right info to allow the antitheft to be happy so I can drive the car after my uh …upgrade. Ideally I would like to do some sort of serial connection and change the info (including putting in the proper milage) before I hack the wiring harness. Any thoughts?

Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I don't think they're compatible at all.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Wait is 05+ the one with the extended on board display (bulb warnings and the like), and the chrome rings around the gauges? Or does it look like your 03 cluster?

Take care,

George

Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 PM

it is the one with the extended displays. From my understanding it should be digitally compatible i.e. the address lines are the same, it is a the same architecture etc. I know I am asking for some fairly advanced advice and I understand this is not plug and play but I am looking for some out of the box thinking here. As a calibration point I have a fairly extensive electronic background and routinely work with smd components. There may be a deal breaker that I haven't considered but I am willing to have the vehicle of the road for for a while if need be. Thanks again for your input.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Unhappy Cluster Update

Well it was a big failure. The problem appears not that it was a different year as I was able to reroute the pins to the right places. But rather that it was flashed with another cars info and that keep throwing security errors. I was in the process of bit bashing the chip to work around it and get the cluster back to a green state. But a young man driving waaay to fast (don't judge, we all were 19 once) Hit me from behind with such force that my beautiful green jag was spun 180 and slammed into a phone pole. Unfortunately the Jag gave its life to save mine (albeit with some injuries) So I will have to get another S type before I can learn any more. Wish me luck!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Aaargh!
Sorry to hear that.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I do wish you luck, and hope your injuries are not too serious.
There are plenty more cars.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 AM

There are indeed….. I am trying to take it easy and let my body heal. The doc says the muscles damaged themselves from trying to keep me from being thrown around like a mouse in whirlwind. But thankfully no one snuffed it in either car. So Im trying to be philosophical about it. The universe seems to come around once in while to remind me that I'm mortal. Lesson learned lol

Old 10-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Glad to hear you are for the most part OK. Sorry to hear of your Jag going to the boneyard in the sky - best of luck finding another!!

Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Reviving an old thread, but was interested in doing this swap..I'm assuming I can you IDS/SDD to program the Instrument Pack as a new module fixing the prior problem. Not sure if the diagram is available for pin swaps and can't seem to find an easy read on this. Jagrepair has the 03 and 05 cluster pin outs but I'm having an issue figuring out which side goes to what..Anyone have this?

Old 11-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

A very good reason not to try defibrillating a very dead thread back to life is hinted at by the original poster . . . and several others in similar threads over several years . . . it won't work !!! The IC contains all the PATS sensitive stuff that is uniquely attributable to a single, unique vehicle. In the case of your replacement IC, that vehicle is back at the wrecking yard.

The issue is not figuring out the pin-out conversions . . . it is that, even solving correctly that challenge, the moment you turn on the ignition, the car will enter a lockout condition . . . at best, it will not start, but there have been several cases where keyfobs have "mysteriously" stopped working.

In theory, but only via the fully compliant dealer tool, it MAY be possible to get Jaguar to re-program the replacement IC to your vehicle but, trouble is . . . IIRC, no-one has actually reported that they have achieved that successfully. Not what you want to hear perhaps, but a timely warning for others who may have a similar interest.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 11-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
A very good reason not to try defibrillating a very dead thread back to life is hinted at by the original poster . . . and several others in similar threads over several years . . . it won't work !!! The IC contains all the PATS sensitive stuff that is uniquely attributable to a single, unique vehicle. In the case of your replacement IC, that vehicle is back at the wrecking yard.

The issue is not figuring out the pin-out conversions . . . it is that, even solving correctly that challenge, the moment you turn on the ignition, the car will enter a lockout condition . . . at best, it will not start, but there have been several cases where keyfobs have "mysteriously" stopped working.

In theory, but only via the fully compliant dealer tool, it MAY be possible to get Jaguar to re-program the replacement IC to your vehicle but, trouble is . . . IIRC, no-one has actually reported that they have achieved that successfully. Not what you want to hear perhaps, but a timely warning for others who may have a similar interest.

Best wishes,

Ken
I my self ken am hoping you are wrong ,
I was told last week by a respected forum member that a (although not later model cluster but the same year and model donor car) cluster can be introduced to the existing car . And then programmed to the existing car using the vin no#
And adjustable column bar code 11 digit serial no# . Duplicate should be Located in the RH/boot/trunk floor and the original from on top of the steering column , . You need two keys to program at this time . when requested by IDS .

apparently he successfully has done this swap .

It is looking as if my can bus chip in my original cluster has bitten the dust .
I have sourced an exact match with matching Milage for mine at a good price .
And am waiting on arrival at the moment .
so my fingers are crossed.

The big thing is not to try and start the car before programming it , that's when you get the pats lock out .

Last edited by Datsports; 11-04-2017 at 05:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hey Andy, I hope you are right . . . and I really DO hope you succeed. Hence my "Thanks" for your explanations. Quite possibly, your final warning not to attempt a start until the re-programming is complete IS the critical point. Glad to see you pushing ahead on this, because I know you will keep us posted on the outcome . . . something that no-one I researched on this topic has ever done to claim success.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 11-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Some of that may be VCATS info - which applied to older XK8s/XKRs.

My car has none of it in the boot. Yours also may not have.

I don't know in that case whether it's safe to do this stuff

Old 11-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Some of that may be VCATS info - which applied to older XK8s/XKRs.
My car has none of it in the boot. Yours also may not have. QUOTE]

i believe your right about it being VCATS ,
as you need 8 of the 11 digit no# to re calibrate the column .
or , reprogram the cluster , which includes a column calibration .
and key fob pairing .

also correct my car did not have the sticker in the boot,
apparently it should have ,

i dropped the column enough to get a photo of the adjustable column
sticker .
and thats not hard to do .

I don't know in that case whether it's safe to do this stuff.

jagV8 i would have hoped someone of your stature on the forum would have a more positive out look on this particular task . as it looks like i have little other choice but to take this risk .
but i guess in time i can tell you how safe or un safe this job is to tackle.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member

The OP has no compelling reason to try it. The likely outcome is a car in anti-theft - maybe a very nasty kind of it.

To me that looks well worth avoiding. Someone else may like taking that kind of risk. If someone does - post what happened.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

ok so the donor cluster programed in fine . car starts and runs all gauges and lights work .
and the column has all it functions again .
i still have other gremlins to sort , i'd hoped the cluster would be the fix all . but it wasn't to be .
but the cluster swap was a success , and i'm one step closer to having a sweet s type again .

Old 11-09-2017, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

This is not the kind of cluster swap as in the start of the thread - correct? You've used one that's the same kind (with the same connectors etc) as the car already had?

Old 11-09-2017, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member

correct , as stated in post 12 .
i realize the difference is vast .
just pointing out that at least kens, but also the general consensus
about not being able to swap a cluster ''period'' is incorrect.

were as a different vin range cluster swap i would not try !

Old 11-09-2017, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

I wanted to be crystal clear so anyone in the future starting on the thread realises the thread has drifted off that topic.

Also, the "not swapping" has for many years referred to doing it without a dealer tool.

BTW do NOT swap on an early car as I gather even the dealer tool won't get it out of anti-theft!

The following 3 users liked this post by JagV8:
cat_as_trophy (11-09-2017), Datsports (11-09-2017), joycesjag (11-09-2017)

Quick Reply: S type gauge swap