S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S type gauge swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

And I do think that is both a required and fair point to emphasize. I too stand by my original comments which were directed to the OP's request for info on how to rewire the connection plugs to graft a later IC to an earlier car. It was you Andy, who came later with what, even later still, you have revealed is a plug for plug or "like for like" replacement.

Overall, and not intended as a rebuke but warning just the same, this has been a great example of why NOT to grab what may appear a related thread, whether old or active, to launch into what may appear to be (but is not) an identical problem.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 11-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I wanted to be crystal clear so anyone in the future starting on the thread realises the thread has drifted off that topic.

Also, the "not swapping" has for many years referred to doing it without a dealer tool.

BTW do NOT swap on an early car as I gather even the dealer tool won't get it out of anti-theft!
great advice jagv8. as usual !

i understand and also see the need to to be super clear and highlight the differences here . especially after i contaminated this thread .

but to be fair in my defence , i put that information in brackets so it could be clearly seen .
maybe i should have made the letters red and capital's to help see it also .

truthfully i don't think i was of topic , i was replying to this statement -

( it won't work !!! The IC contains all the PATS sensitive stuff that is uniquely attributable to a single, unique vehicle. In the case of your replacement IC, that vehicle is back at the wrecking yard.
, the moment you turn on the ignition, the car will enter a lockout condition . )

personally i see this information as incorrect .

its only true un till the point the wrecking yard cluster is programed to the existing car ,via ids/sdd
as i just proved by shipping a cluster from USA to NZ
and successfully programing it to my car .

look at it this way , i need to replace my cluster one way or another .
i'm searching for info . and i find this statement .
and i swear this statement must be the most repeated on the forum , besides check your battery .

it basically says no cluster can be swapped for a replacement one .
for me this was alarming .
as i needed one and it was on the way .
also not what some one new to this thread in my position wants to see .
so am i sorry . hell no

Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Andy . . . be cool. But if you're going to quote me, at least do so in context of the OP's issue of trying to graft together pinouts from what amounts to a totally different model . . . which you hijacked with your plan to do so from what amounts to a straightforward replacement from an identical model!

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
The issue is not figuring out the pin-out conversions . . . it is that, even solving correctly that challenge, the moment you turn on the ignition, the car will enter a lockout condition . . . at best, it will not start, but there have been several cases where keyfobs have "mysteriously" stopped working.

In theory, but only via the fully compliant dealer tool, it MAY be possible to get Jaguar to re-program the replacement IC to your vehicle but, trouble is . . . IIRC, no-one has actually reported that they have achieved that successfully.
Surely, any fair minded reading sees no evidence that I said no replacement was ever possible "period" (your misquote), and indeed, once you jumped into the thread with your different scenario to the OP, I wished you success, confident you would keep us posted. You have, and I congratulate you.

Just don't put your words into my mouth please. There's only enough room in there for one or both of my feet . . . not yours as well

Ken

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Andy . . . be cool. But if you're going to quote me, at least do so in context of the OP's issue of trying to graft together pinouts from what amounts to a totally different model . . . which you hijacked with your plan to do so from what amounts to a straightforward replacement from an identical model!

Surely, any fair minded reading sees no evidence that I said no replacement was ever possible "period" (your misquote), and indeed, once you jumped into the thread with your different scenario to the OP, I wished you success, confident you would keep us posted. You have, and I congratulate you.

Just don't put your words into my mouth please. There's only enough room in there for one or both of my feet . . . not yours as well

Ken

dude its not like i didn't point that out from the start . its in brackets .
but yes i've obviously mis understood you .
and at least 10 other threads with similar quotes not from you .

that particular paragraph i referenced is easily miss read . ( maybe i read it on the wrong angle)ive read it over and over and thats what i see when i read it , that i am sorry about !!
, and as i said its un true in any context . all that info is refreshed with the programing so really should be left out of the discussion . wether it be the correct cluster for the car or not .
very sorry for any confusion . i didn't plan to hijack anything just react to a quote that alarmed me at a weak moment,
and i'm not sorry for bringing it up . is if i can see it that way surly so will some one else .
cheers

cat_as_trophy (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

No sweat Andy . . . and mate, I am genuinely pleased it all worked sweet for you.

Best wishes,

Ken

Datsports (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

No sweat Andy . . . and mate, I am genuinely pleased it all worked sweet for you.

Best wishes,

Ken
thanks man . i'm pleased too .
though i'm not out of the woods yet ,
at least its not my new yard ornament ,
at this point at least .

cheers.

cat_as_trophy (11-10-2017)