S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S Type HID Headlights

I just wanted to take a chance to ask anyone if they have had an opportunity to compare aftermarket HID setup (without halogen projectors) to the stock HID setups that come from the factory upgrades. I am looking into upgrading to HID's (4300K) but I'm still trying to gauge whether or not I'll go through the expense of buying the HID projector housings.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: S Type HID Headlights

I test drove a 2001 S-type with OEM HID’s, I currently own a 2004 S-type with OEM HID projectors. Projectors will always out perform reflector based HID’s, projectors do a better job of putting the light where it is supposed to go.

Having said that, you can get casper shields with aftermarket relector based an HID’s kit. Casper shields help keep the glare down. If you can get a good price on the OEM projector based lights I say go for it, check Ebay. I wouldn't pay more than $400 for the OEM HID headlights.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:35 PM

I've heard a little about casper shields, but I don't QUITE understand what they are/how to install, or how they work for that matter. Could you elaborate a little? Does the Casper shield with HID's look exactly/similar to the projector setup? Thanks for the advise. I'm going to be doing a major research fellowship that should pull some good $$$ this summer, but I don't want to overspend for the headlight setup to get the projector headlights. If the casper shield setup + HID setup works the exact same, I may take this option so that it looks more or less the same as when it was purchased from the factory for now. I want to keep the car looking stock before graduation, so I don't have to worry about being hassled for now.[:-]

Old 01-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39079&highlight=casper+shields

I did a goggle search on ‘casper shields’ and ‘adapter shields’ and came up with squat. There are some for sale on the link above, but they are for H4’s, those could be modded to fit H7’s bulbs. Basically casper shields fit over the hid bulbs kind of like a glove they cover the top part of the bulb. What this does is reduce the amount of light that it would normally put out, reducing glare to the on coming traffic. Image a light being on and you covering the top of the light with your hand, well it is kind of the same effect.

So no, the casper shields do not mimic projectors. You can get a great deal on vvme.com. $48 for a complete kit. They are getting rid of thier inventory because hid's are being banned very soon. They are already banned in Iowa, I believe?I say get some for your headlights and fogs and call it a done deal, you should be happy with those results.

Here is a pic of hid’s vs halogen, by the way this not a pic of a jag, I only used it to show the difference/ contrast.
Name:  noflash.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  5.3 KB

Old 01-30-2008, 04:28 PM

Thanks I'll look into that. I'm just looking to get the best light output possible, and keep it looking stock to anyone who doesn't know the difference. My family is really opposed to me modifying my car while I'm still in graduate school. Go figure- something about how tuition is 35K and I want to spend more than that on the car.