S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-type supercharger removal (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 04:43 AM
Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
NIce looking car in terrific "looking" shape.

I wish you all the best luck with this. Mine has been sitting stuck for over a year now with that damn EDR being the problem. In maybe a month or so I'll try to pick up where I left off in December. It's had 2.5 ft of snow all over it until a day ago when we finally go some rain and warmer weather to melt all of that. But I was able to get the the two bolts that retain the solenoid to the valve body of the EGR off so we'll see if that will let me seperate the two halves. in the spring. I just ran out good enough weather.

But this repair alone should be enough to dissuade one from buying one of these cars with the idea that they'll be able to fix it themselves WO a lot of effort. It's a real SOB and I knew about it but bought the car anyway. My fault This isn't the only annoying repairs associated with this car. Cooling system parts being one of the biggest. HID headlamps are a MFer and the suspension bushings don't hold up well either where I live. Adjustable pedals brak almost right away. Funny that the pedals on my 2001 Mercury Sable wagon never had any problems as both are Ford parts. The turn signal stalk had to be replaced. The speedo had to be sent out for a repair. At least that was only $100. There there's all the leaky oil cooler, tranny and PS hoses.

My Chevy mechanic who never gets near this car, his shop is too messy, fixes a lot of BMW, Audis and others that have seen better days ... he says these issues are now common with modern cars. All a PITA to service and all break things like this way before they should. My belief is that the overly crowded engine compartments and the level of equipment on cars today, especially with 4WD, is the culprit. Design layout and specification is computer assisted so they make the craziest looking parts which don't necessarily include longevity or ease of service in the specification. The oil and Tranyy cooling hoses are a perfect example of this on this car. When you get to those look up the solution threads on herer. There's some excellent alternatives to replacements.

Have fun ... I think?
How are you getting on with your s/c removal? Any progress?

Old 06-28-2023, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Well I never did get back to trying my oscillating tool so it's time to either send it off to the wreckers or find someone to tackle this job. I had someone come out and take a look at the job, a job he's vary familiar with and he thinks it's not too bad.

So I'm reviewing all of what needs to be done (each step and any additional fixes) and the parts required. I know rhat there are lists of parts on this forum for this job but ...
Parts have to be verified by vin number then they have to be located and then you pray that they fit properly.
So that's what I'm up to now.
Mostly it's hose assemblies, gaskets and possibly some special bolts as at least two have been murdered in my attempts to remove them.
I see that the EGR valve is available in the aftermarket. Does anyone have any experience with these?
aftermaket EGR valve

Old 06-29-2023, 05:22 AM
jya
Received 158 Likes on 114 Posts

Good to know that it's available and does at least look good in the photo but who knows the quality?