S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-type supercharger removal (with pics)

 
  #61  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: No. NJ
Posts: 2,868
Received 172 Likes on 161 Posts
Default

In a word no. That's not how my car works. But I still think we're talkin about two different things. On my car I could not remove the thermostat if I removed the bolts you show.
Mine involves an elbow.
 
  #62  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:28 PM
Aarcuda's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 71
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Staatsof View Post
In a word no. That's not how my car works. But I still think we're talkin about two different things. On my car I could not remove the thermostat if I removed the bolts you show.
Mine involves an elbow.
Ill look in the service manual. I heard the t stat housing changed from plastic to metal. is yours plastic?
 
  #63  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: No. NJ
Posts: 2,868
Received 172 Likes on 161 Posts
Default

No THANK GOD, no Jaguar plastic!. It's a clam shell design with the thermostat having a rubber seal around the perimeter.
 
  #64  
Old 07-12-2019, 05:14 AM
Aarcuda's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 71
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Now my thermostat is inside that big aluminum piece but I wasn't removing the tstat until after I got the whole piece off. aren't you removing the blower? if so take that housing off then remove the tstat
 
  #65  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 AM
findre's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: fort lauderdale
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

S/C has aluminum TSTAT housing, no plastic. If you pull off the S/C. Pull them intercoolers and clean them out with solvent and add a catch can that you can drain. You'll get a pint of oil in between oil changes caught there that doesn't go into the intake. Helps keep the CAT's from clogging too.

HEY, if you pull the S/C change the hose under it. Best $15 you'll spend this year.
 

Last edited by findre; 07-12-2019 at 09:27 AM.
  #66  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: No. NJ
Posts: 2,868
Received 172 Likes on 161 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aarcuda View Post
Now my thermostat is inside that big aluminum piece but I wasn't removing the tstat until after I got the whole piece off. aren't you removing the blower? if so take that housing off then remove the tstat
Looks like I didn't need to do this now. But it does highlight what an utter PITA it would be to change the thermostat with those idiotic torx bolts in that spot. Change them to regular hex head bolts and if you do ever need to change the thermostat it will be much easier.
 
  #67  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: No. NJ
Posts: 2,868
Received 172 Likes on 161 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by findre View Post
S/C has aluminum TSTAT housing, no plastic. If you pull off the S/C. Pull them intercoolers and clean them out with solvent and add a catch can that you can drain. You'll get a pint of oil in between oil changes caught there that doesn't go into the intake. Helps keep the CAT's from clogging too.

HEY, if you pull the S/C change the hose under it. Best $15 you'll spend this year.
Could you elaborate?

1. Where is all of this oil coming from in between oil changes? Are you saying the supercharging system is sucking that much oil from the crankcase?

2. Your last sentence means what?
 
  #68  
Old 07-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Aarcuda's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 71
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Staatsof View Post
Could you elaborate?

1. Where is all of this oil coming from in between oil changes? Are you saying the supercharging system is sucking that much oil from the crankcase?

2. Your last sentence means what?
Its the nature of the beast. The pcv picks up crankcase pressure with caporize oil mist in it. And it gets sucked the throttle body. Makes a mess
 
  #69  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: No. NJ
Posts: 2,868
Received 172 Likes on 161 Posts
Default

Some cars have a oil separator which drains back into the crankcase. I have a twin turbo Maserati with twin intercoolers and the only oil comes from the turbo's bearing seal leaking slightly but no pint between oil changes. That burns no oil at all. I do flush those out regularly with paint thinner but then they're much easier to service than the ones on the Jag.This seems excessive and come to think of it the car does use a lot of oil, always has.
 
  #70  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Aarcuda's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 71
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Staatsof View Post
Some cars have a oil separator which drains back into the crankcase. I have a twin turbo Maserati with twin intercoolers and the only oil comes from the turbo's bearing seal leaking slightly but no pint between oil changes. That burns no oil at all. I do flush those out regularly with paint thinner but then they're much easier to service than the ones on the Jag.This seems excessive and come to think of it the car does use a lot of oil, always has.
Yes but most just have a baffle in the valve cover. Not very efficient. My hellcat has one built in but a pot offolks still run a separate can. I have a few laying around here
 
  #71  
Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 AM
findre's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: fort lauderdale
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default


I started using a catch can on my race bike. So, when I took off the throttle body, EGR and S/C it had a lot of build up. The intercoolers we're almost wet with oil. Intake valves on head were thick with build up also. After cleaning the whole set up, I realized the cause and threw on a stop oil going back into system.
Another problem was at idle and acceleration from a light, there was a surge of throttle, caused by the ridge of build up on the throttle flap. Not very Jaguar like as far as smooooth driver.

I use a product called Evinrude engine tuner which eats carbon faster then anything I've seen. The can type foams when you spray and runs through to burn off. Soften the buildup with engine tuner and then flush with thinner or brake clean.

Oil in air lowers octane which reduces HP in a gas engine, the same where oil in air on a diesel adds HP.

Carbon is an abrasive, it wears internal moving parts. This is why diesel motors face a special wear problem when they have dirty engine oil, that is black with carbon.

I don't think the Jags "use" oil as much as they "lose" oil being vented back through engine to eat it. Catalytic converter will last longer too.
 

Last edited by findre; 07-13-2019 at 08:54 AM.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
aholbro1
XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 )
6
05-08-2019 09:20 AM
H20boy
XJ ( X351 )
45
11-29-2018 12:44 PM
Rivguy
XJS ( X27 )
24
12-28-2015 12:41 PM
kstevusa
XK8 / XKR ( X100 )
0
09-07-2015 01:12 PM
daverb
XJS ( X27 )
4
09-05-2015 12:53 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S-type supercharger removal (with pics)


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: