S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s-type wont accelerate smoothly

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s-type wont accelerate smoothly

have a 2001 s-type 3.0. 68k miles. last year i had a throttle repair and a trans repair. re; the throttle, the car would stall randomly, the throttle was plugged up, cleared out by a mechanic and the problem was fixed. that's the history. now onto my current problem. the last few days, the car accelerates in a jeeky way. not smoothly. only occures when accelerating. there is also some up and down movement in the rpm when idling. i thought it might be the throttle again, but a repair shop told me it was an ingnition coil and spark plug. to me it seems like there is an issue with the fuel or air getting to the engine in a consistent way. anyway, that;s how i describe it. what are your thoughts please.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you had your plugs changed recently as I think they are changed about 70k, and it does sound like they are braking down plus I believe the coils do give up around that sort of mileage, I take it you have or your mec has already checked for the obvious air leak.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,695 Likes on 1,210 Posts

vahdam, there should be codes being thrown (misfires). I agree with jagmadjohn above, coils and plugs are a known problem with your year S Type.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 AM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My plugs and coils were replaced around the same mileage. Aside from the obvious limp mode the car was thrown in, I was experiencing what seemed to be a clogged exhaust (i.e. catalytic honeycomb breaking inside cat and blocking exhaust)

Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info. what should i expect to pay a mechanic to repair 2 ingnition coils and spark plugs? i have a 2001 s-type 3.0. 68k miles.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM

depends, witch ones they are as you have a V6 you have to remove your inlet manifold to get to one bank so I would recommend you change the lot as you will have peace of mind because it normally follows that if one goes the others are not far behind so cut your labour cost and change all the plugs and coils the plugs are due for a change at 70k anyway

Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say that your engine was "plugged," do you mean you already had all the plugs replaced? If so, did they do the coil packs at the same time? I wouldn't rule out a fuel or air issue -- something as simple as an air filter, or maybe a clogged fuel injector.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by vahdam
have a 2001 s-type 3.0. 68k miles. last year i had a throttle repair and a trans repair. re; the throttle, the car would stall randomly, the throttle was plugged up, cleared out by a mechanic and the problem was fixed. that's the history. now onto my current problem. the last few days, the car accelerates in a jeeky way. not smoothly. only occures when accelerating. there is also some up and down movement in the rpm when idling. i thought it might be the throttle again, but a repair shop told me it was an ingnition coil and spark plug. to me it seems like there is an issue with the fuel or air getting to the engine in a consistent way. anyway, that;s how i describe it. what are your thoughts please.
looks like the problem has been found as his repair man would have found the vacuum hose that gives hassle on the V6
I had this on mine and no code was found on the reader my mate uses, I had 2 coils gone so changed them and she was fine a little later I changed the rest for peace of mind, I know mine is a V8 but the holding back under load (acceleration) is the same fault and would show the same symptoms. Are you going to change all or pay the same sort of labour for just changing 2 then pay again to change the others that's the question