Sponsored by:

Smelly S-Type ('99 3.0 SE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smelly S-Type ('99 3.0 SE)

Hi All,

I think I've a relatively interesting question

I picked up my '99 S-Type 3.0 SE yesterday and it seems to be a little smelly on occasions.

I first noticed the smell on after getting off the motorway slip road after approximately 15-20 miles of good (relatively) easy running. The difficulty is describing the small. To me it's not metallic or oily, more of a bitter odour; the wife put it as burnt curry! (I'm not quite convinced but imagine burnt spices). I've experienced the same smell a couple of times now; it doesn't always seem to occur though.

I notice the smell when I exit the car, it doesn't seem to radiate in to the cabin via the heater/AC.

Now....

1. The temp needle is at 12 O'clock
2. Service history is good, the last one about 5,000 miles (6 months ago)
3. The gearbox isn't hunting for gears, lurching badly, sounds smooth. There doesn't seem to be any slippage on hill starts or general/hard acceleration.

I've checked underneath to ensure I've not picked up a plastic bag etc. All seems to be fine visually and performance wise...just smelly on occasions!

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

Martin

Old 04-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Check for an oil leak coming from the cam covers or intake manifold tuner valves (IMT). All it takes is a small drip onto the exhaust manifold to make the smell. That is what I got in my 05 after runs on the highway. The smell seeps into the cabin from where the cabin filter is. You will also smell it outside the car. It probably doesn't smell after short trips or low speed runs, does it?

Old 04-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here's a thought

It's probable not this, because you probably already checked, but here's a thought: For the longest time I noticed a foul smell repeatedly seeming to come into the cabin of my car on odd occasions. I tried for the longest time to figure out if it was happening when I did something to initiate it, or whether or not it just happened randomly....finally figured out the soul smell was coming from my window washer tank which was soured! I finally made the connection with the smell and every time I used the wiper/washer! I popped the hood (bonnet for you Poms) and opened the washer fluid tank, and yuk,,,,,it reeked. Simply took the garden hose and cleaned it out until all of the soapy water cleared up. On occasion this happens, I'm not sure why. Whether or not it's the type of window washer clearer I'm putting in it or the infrequency that I change the water out entirely. Maybe this helps,,,if not for your 'smelly' S Type than for someone else.

Just about to receive my 03 stype that is being shipped cross country to Oregon! SO excited! Can't wait to post some pics of the pretty kitty!
Gary from Keizer, Oregon

Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Check for an oil leak coming from the cam covers or intake manifold tuner valves (IMT). All it takes is a small drip onto the exhaust manifold to make the smell. That is what I got in my 05 after runs on the highway. The smell seeps into the cabin from where the cabin filter is. You will also smell it outside the car. It probably doesn't smell after short trips or low speed runs, does it?
You're not wrong there! I've short trips from cold seem to be fine, no issues at all. We've just been to the shops (6 mile run) and I came of a roundabout 'hardish', not flat out but not my usual trickling self. When we got out the car the smell was there...just for a moment but it was there.

Same journey home but being very easy and not issue on exiting the car.

Just need to work out what the hell the where the IMT and Cam Covers are lol. Thank heavens the father in law is a mechanic!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
You're not wrong there! I've short trips from cold seem to be fine, no issues at all. We've just been to the shops (6 mile run) and I came of a roundabout 'hardish', not flat out but not my usual trickling self. When we got out the car the smell was there...just for a moment but it was there.

Same journey home but being very easy and not issue on exiting the car.

Just need to work out what the hell the where the IMT and Cam Covers are lol. Thank heavens the father in law is handy with an engine (no jag expert though)!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Stav_98
Just need to work out what the hell the where the IMT and Cam Covers are lol. Thank heavens the father in law is handy with an engine (no jag expert though)!
You should learn all you need to know if you look here - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32135

Old 04-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,290 Likes on 2,818 Posts

I'd have a look under the hood (bonnet) and see if any critters (small animals) may have nested in your engine compartment over the winter. You could be smelling their droppings or even the remains of their carcasses if they happened to kick the bucket recently....

Stuff like this happens more frequently than you might think....

Old 04-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by norri
You should learn all you need to know if you look here - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32135
Fantastic heads up; thanks Norri

Old 04-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,254 Likes on 1,777 Posts

I have found the cabin filter is very rarely changed. They get cruddy. I have also sprayed some Fabreeze in to help with smells. Remember the Lincoln LS has the same cabin filter and is available at any parts store. I got some nice filters with activated charcoal off of EBay for about $11 each which is a steal!! Remember you need the one with the corner cut off. The 2003 and up cars just use the rectangular one. Here is a cheap one from EBay. This is just the plain pollen filter without the activated charcoal.

http://tinyurl.com/ykqtoq9

Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Try looking at the battery vent hose. If it's plugged or disconnected, they're be a sulphury smell in the trunk and passenger cabin.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

This reminds me of a Ford Corsair I had in the 1970s which had a peculiar odor like bad feet I could never run down. Sometimes it was there, sometimes not. In the back of my mind I was thinking passengers might have thought it was me, and saying nuthin' out of politeness. This 'niff gradually got worse over many weeks, making me think there was a dead rat somewhere jammed in the bodywork underneath, because I'd looked everywhere else (or so I thought...)
Anyhow to cut a long smelly story short, I was valeting the car inside on a Sat. afternoon, when I opened the funny little ashtray in a back door for the rear passengers, and I was immediately faced with a small piece of rotting meat absolutely crawling with maggots. It had never been used by myself or my passengers since no-one smoked and therefore never opened. Donning the Marigolds it was fished out, into the bin with the little offenders to be followed by a good bleaching with neat bleach. The car never smelled so sweet after.
Leedsman.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
This reminds me of a Ford Corsair I had in the 1970s which had a peculiar odor like bad feet I could never run down. Sometimes it was there, sometimes not. In the back of my mind I was thinking passengers might have thought it was me, and saying nuthin' out of politeness. This 'niff gradually got worse over many weeks, making me think there was a dead rat somewhere jammed in the bodywork underneath, because I'd looked everywhere else (or so I thought...)
Anyhow to cut a long smelly story short, I was valeting the car inside on a Sat. afternoon, when I opened the funny little ashtray in a back door for the rear passengers, and I was immediately faced with a small piece of rotting meat absolutely crawling with maggots. It had never been used by myself or my passengers since no-one smoked and therefore never opened. Donning the Marigolds it was fished out, into the bin with the little offenders to be followed by a good bleaching with neat bleach. The car never smelled so sweet after.
Leedsman.
LOL! I'll double check for rotting meat in the morning!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:07 PM

Smelly S-Type update 3!

Well I found the header/expansion tank was a little low today which made me feel this may be the route of a burning smell. However; I've since identified what I believe to be a leaking air conditioning hose (right hand side below the power steering header if I recall). Wet to the touch and smells just like the burning smell...just not as strong. Will take a closer look in the daylight.

Will still check the coolant expansion tank tomorrow just in case I'm tackling two issues; don't want to get too confident here until I've proven otherwise.

Not sure whether to feel a little relief or concern at this stage!

Old 04-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stav_98 good to see you have found the trouble and hope the repair goes well
I had a smell in mine that turned out to be bacteria in the AC you can get stuff that you run through the vents that sort it out, sorry don't know what its called as it was a while ago.

John

Old 04-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Febreeze?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Well I've not had a chance to get to check the expansion tank in full but that seems to be holding. No visible cracking under light, all hoses seem to be nice and firm.

I've not had a chance to get the car on ramps but it does look like A/C fluid. It seems to be coming from the braided hose connecting to the A/C compressor. A bit happier than I was earlier today!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you find the cabin filter located?
Lespres

Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 AM
Received 6,256 Likes on 5,456 Posts
Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the "Burnt Curry" smell with my BMW 540i. Turned out to be a coolant leak. Smelled JUST like you said! Look for coolant issues. You mentioned the expansion tank. I bet this is your culprit!