S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the STR stance

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

damn, sorry to hear that quartz, indeed though, it is the summer car season, and i am sure they are swamped trying to keep up,
no excuse to keep stalling you like that, but eh, thats custom wheels,
glad i ordered mine in january and beat the rush,
oh, and i antipated that their paint shop was one of the major slow points in their manufacturing process, so i had forgestar ship me my set of wheels unpainted, at which point, i primed, base and cleared them myself, this way i got the wheels sooner, and in the exact shade of silver i wanted,
the one shade of 'silver' in their base color palette wasnt very good, and their advanced color options start at $200 extra ...

Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Basic question about different wheel sizes for this car

Are you guys staying with the original OD (doesn't look like it) and if not how is that handled by the car's systems?

Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
So I called again today. They tell me the exact same thing they told me 3 weeks ago: "They are in powder coating and should be ready in a week or two." I tell them that's the exact same thing they told me 3 weeks ago. They say, "Its wheel season, we get a little back logged and its harder to meet our time quotes of 6-9 weeks." I tell them again, that's exactly what you said 3 weeks ago, I need a better answer; you've had my money since March 8th. They told me they would investigate further and email me .

I'd be livid. That is no excuse they should know their lead time.

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Are you guys staying with the original OD (doesn't look like it) and if not how is that handled by the car's systems?
I went from the 18s to 20s. You do have to change the way you drive a bit, but luckily where I live the roads are good. I'd say the ride is more firm, but not overly harsh and doesn't crash over bumps. That is why I like the double wishbone over the macpherson strut setup. There is more spring in the system when you do things like lower it and put larger wheels on it.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Thats excessive wait time. Like I said earlier, long and unexpected wait times like that tarnished iForged wheels' reputation in the early 2000s. Everyone on the Mercedes forum I was on at the time went iForged because they were slightly cheaper than HRE, then the crazy wait time scandal erupted and people went back to HRE and other companies.

I guess I am lucky for having received my Forgestar wheels in about 6 weeks!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
I went from the 18s to 20s. You do have to change the way you drive a bit, but luckily where I live the roads are good. I'd say the ride is more firm, but not overly harsh and doesn't crash over bumps. That is why I like the double wishbone over the macpherson strut setup. There is more spring in the system when you do things like lower it and put larger wheels on it.
Yes I understand about the greatly reduced aspect ratio. Twenties would be disastrous here, even the current eighteens are rough on these POS roads.

But what I was wondering was about the speedo and any CATS-chassis control systems issues? Does the car have an adjustment option for this is it's systems?

I agree that the stock tires look a bit small in the fender openings, almost like a British version of a LA lowrider ...

Old 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Ah ok. I haven't noticed any cats issues, and the new size is 26.5 inches vs the stock size of 25.6 inches. When the speedo reads 60, I am doing 62.2.

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Star:
Panthro (10-18-2015), Staatsof (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
But what I was wondering was about the speedo and any CATS-chassis control systems issues? Does the car have an adjustment option for this is it's systems?
I went with 19" Forgestars. I have had no CATS issues, not even with the lowering springs. As far as speedo - you would obviously get smaller sidewalls to try to keep the overall diameter the same. Having said that, according to those radars that tell you how fast you are going that you see on the roads from time to time, well, when I am doing 84 MPH I am actually doing 80 MPH. Close enough for me, and I would rather think I was going under than over the speed limit.

The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

If I wanted to sacrifice road comfort for proper diameter yes but ... I might want to fill out the wheel openings not just get wagon wheel looking rims. So I think I would try the diameter Mike Star is talking about but with 19" rims instead of 20s. His speed is not as far off as yours is.

Thanks for answering the questions guys.

Originally Posted by Under Pressure
I went with 19" Forgestars. I have had no CATS issues, not even with the lowering springs. As far as speedo - you would obviously get smaller sidewalls to try to keep the overall diameter the same. Having said that, according to those radars that tell you how fast you are going that you see on the roads from time to time, well, when I am doing 84 MPH I am actually doing 80 MPH. Close enough for me, and I would rather think I was going under than over the speed limit.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

I started with 275/35/18 rear tires with a diameter of 25.6" and went to 245/40/19 tires with a diameter of 26.7". I am keeping an eye out for one of those roadside radar units to see if there was a noticeable change in speed. Ride quality has not suffered at all. I am sure I gave up some off-the-line traction, but what I got in updated appearance more than compensated for it.

Last edited by Bad Cattitude; 07-10-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Conventry Hornets 20x10 rear 20x8.5 front. The issue on STRs are if you want a lip in the back, you have to space out to clear the rear Brembos. Which will cause rubbing with even the most aggressive fender roll.
I CALLED Couventry, and they told me absolutely that they don't have anything that would work in a staggered set up ,,in any size.... not even 18's....i said what about spacers and they said that would make it worse....max offset on the 19" x9.5" was +22 and i need at least a +45 i think what say you?

Old 02-04-2014, 04:33 PM

Which wheels do you want to mount?

Bottom line is, the STR needs really high positive offsets, and in the case of the 03-05 R's with brembos, have to mind brake clearance too.

Good staggered wheel options are pretty limited, sadly. Stock (vulcan/zeus), 19" barcelona's, and custom made stuff from forgestar, adv1, yup, those are about the options.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM

Coventry hornets, michael star has 20's on his str in this thread....maybe they just dont make them anymore... looks like ill go with the cf-5 forgestar's..

Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM

i think the 10" wide rear hornets in +45 are hard to come by now...

even if you could get them, i don't think you would really want to run them. The 10" wire rear hornets do not really clear his setup and his fenders are a bit chewed up over it. Don't think that's what you want either...

Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

The only way it will work is with more narrow tires. Either 255 or 245s would work unless you want heavy fender work. Currently my car is going to the body shop to get larger fenders.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM

yeah, i think im going with cleaning up and painting my factory rims...ill post a pic when done....just not thinking my options are worth the money as they dont change the look much over stock.....ill lower it with the h&r springs as well

Old 02-05-2014, 05:02 PM

what color is your STR, and what color do you want to paint the wheels?

a custom set of wheels from forgestar aren't too, too expensive. Should strongly consider those if you want new wheels.

Wheels can really transform the look of the STR, it's money well spent if you care about this sort of thing.

The 19" staggered forgestar setup on my STR were totally worth every penny. Check out some photos of my car by clicking the link in my signature... might change your mind!

Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I have Forgestars as well. If you order today, you might see them by July!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM

yea, i like the forgestars on Under Pressures ride, but they want $1600 plus shipping... im just not sure they change the look enough,plus another $1000 for tires,,,, im going to have the curb rash fixed on my stockers and then they paint and clear them for under $200 a wheel im thinking about a Lamborghini gray with a blue pinstripe...u cant really find anything with a lip so i might as well customize my stock set up,, they will also redo my calipers ,the car came from the N.E. and they are hammered... the car color is the platinum silver... i want to get some performance mods done also so im trying to put the money where i need it most......i can always get wheels later, plus with my stockers cleaned up they will have some re sale value...

Last edited by Injekter; 02-05-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I got them to throw in shipping for free, and you can probably ask for a tire/wheel combo which will save you some $ overall. It completely changes the look and honestly the only performance mods worth doing are a pulley and intake tube which would run you less than $400 total or the cost of 1 wheel. $400/wheel isn't really a bad price when you consider HRE and BBS like to charge 2-3 times that.

Here's my car:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...e7/#post900509

Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Need to properly introduce myself before I can post pics...
But repainted the Vulcans on our '05 STR for the second time this past weekend.

A bunch of work, but well worth the effort to change the look of the car.

We have a white STR and initially wanted a slightly darker gray/silver wheel. I shot them with Porsche Titanium and realized it was WAY too blue. A year later the front tires are done and also needed to get a damaged wheel off of the front. (Car came with a dodgy front wheel that had been cracked and welded).

Got a new wheel and front tires and re painted the wheels Porsche Carbon Gray. Looks awesome with the black window trim and dark tint.

I guess my contribution here is to say try repainting your wheels or having them done if you're on the fence about upsizing or changing. $200/wheel for paint or powder coat is reasonable.

I am a professional detailer/restorer for a living and this job took me the better part of 2 days for the 4 wheels plus the paint materials. It is lots of hand prep. work. Not hard, just time consuming.

Cooper

Last edited by STRCooper; 02-06-2014 at 12:14 AM.