Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR Transmission "Reflash"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default STR Transmission "Reflash"?

hey y'all.
In another current thread, a member (JagV8?) suggested that the trans in the '03 STR can be "reflashed" to allow holding first and second gear longer under acceleration?

waddya'll know about this? is this true?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Reflashing or updating the the TCM is done by the dealer, and pretty common procedure at that.

Now, my understanding is that the STR's transmission control module will take a software update meant for the XKR, however, not all dealers will be willing to perform this, or even admit to it being possible, so you may have to call around and fish for a service department willing to do it.

I'm sure others will chime in with more information, and I think at least one other STR owner on here has performed this update before.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Having done some flashing with bad outcomes, I would be a little hesitant flashing an S-Type tranny with XKR firmware. If the transmissions are exactly the same, then there is a good chance it should work in a practical sense. But my experience with Jaguars, is that there is a lot of authentication going on. Modules must have proper part and serial numbers, before they can be flashed. I would not be surprised if the firmware itself has "locks" to prevent it from going into an unauthorized vehicle. (Most computer firmware has built-in checks to verify that it is going into the correct hardware, otherwise you "brick" the hardware.)

And think of this: Suppose you were successful at loading the XKR firmware into the S-type, and then you needed to take the car in for some type of service. There is a good chance that when the Jag tech hooks up the WDS/IDS/SDD to the car, it will report a mis-match. How will you explain that? Whatever tranny warranty you had at that point is now gone.

Because the tranny controller is in the tranny itself, it is not an easy physical swap of one module for another.

Is the "Sport" mode not to your liking?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

There was one member here who did it successfully. I wish I still had a BIN file that he used.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Pah. I replied in the other thread. Yes it's been done and I think it was just the XK file. Have a hunt around as the details are on here somewhere.

The authentication stuff probably just works in this case.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM

That all being said, here is one way to accomplish the task.
(This method should yield undetectable results)

1. Determine what file name the XKR flash file would be. There is a document somewhere (I have seen it) that lists which flash files are used by which model cars. This document is about 10 years old, but I believe the file name nomenclature to be the same.

2. With this information, search the flash files of the SDD software for what is available. You will probably find one to three. The newest, indicated by a version code or by the date of creation, will probably be your best bet.

3. Using a hex editor/disassembler, check the flash file for any signs of part numbers and so on. Also look for checksums.

4. Repeat from 1 to 3 for the S-Type flash file.

5. Compare the XKR and S-Type flash files. If you are lucky, the only differences between the two will be the shift maps, the authentications, part numbers, and the checksums.

6. Copy the XKR flash shift masp and paste them over the S Type flash shift maps.

Or, alternatively
(6a). Copy the S Type flash authentications, part numbers, file names, etc to the XKR flash file, pasting over its information.
(6b). Rename the XKR flash file with the S Type flash file name.

7. Update all of the checksums and reassemble the file.

8. Put the new hybrid XKR/S Type flash file in the location where the S Type flash file was.

8. Flash the tranny with the new hybrid flash file.

There is also the crap shoot method.
(Not advised at all and is detectable)

A. Perform steps 1 and 2 above for both the XKR and S Type.
B. Rename the XKR flash file with the S Type flash file name.
C. Put the hybrid flash file in the location where the S Type flash file was.
D. Flash the tranny with the new S Type flash file.
E. Cross your fingers.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

All I remember is that it came off a 2009 XKR. I am going to see if I can dig up more info tonight when I get home.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Star
There was one member here who did it successfully. I wish I still had a BIN file that he used.
BIN file? Then he used an on-the-circuit-board programmer? Or he had a custom cable interface made with appropriate protocols? Probably the first.

Even with the BIN file in your hands, this is no slam dunk. You still have to get the TCM out, use a jig to interface the flash chip to a programmer and PC, and burn the flash. The equivalent is to merely swap TCMs, if they are electronically identical (form factor and connector-wise). That actually might be the easiest route. However, you still have the XKR-part-in-a-S-Type situation.

The method that I suggested in my previous post is far less messy, far cheaper, but it does require a lot of time, and some working knowledge of the flash code.

Like I said, are you really not happy with sport mode and manually moving the shifter?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Much simpler: just give the one you want to put in the same name as the S-Type one. Then do the reflash. Done.

Do not try the hex editing because almost for sure there are checksums which will then fail. Besides, it's way more work and we know it's not needed because the renaming and reflashing works.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

He doesn't mean BIN file or the bench stuff. He's using it as in-the-car-ecu-flashing industry kinda talk.

It was done using WDS or IDS along the lines I said. Just rename the file and go.

To find the names: look in the directories (M$ call them "folders", how cute) of the IDS files and it's real easy to see what's what. Hint: look for xml files and see what they refer to.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:01 PM

Just did something similar to that JagV8. I was checking the contents of the .vbf files.
It looks as though the WDS/IDS/SDD behaves as a loader (duh) and handles all of the grunt work. And yes, it looks as though you could just change part numbers and file names and possibly get away with it.

The trick is finding which files you need, so many to wade through.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Great discussion gentleman. My tranny is lurching so I would like two kill two birds with one stone if possible and be ready for the track this winter.

What was the name of the forum member that did this? If we send him a PM it might send a message to his e-mail account stating he has a message in his inbox, then he could respond to this thread.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

A place to start:
read your TCM CALID as it looks to be (roughly) the file used

(the PCM has a CALID too)

(CALID is short for Calibration ID)

Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

wow.... I can tell I've got a lot to learn here.

No, so far I'm quite dissatisfied with SportMode. sure, it's great at "Arrest-me" speeds, but at mere "ticket-me" speeds, the trans has a knack for taking all the fun out of 400hp.
To say that a little differently: My M/B ML430 with 200k miles on it will embarrass the **** out of the STR at 60'. This is the least exciting 400hp I've ever owned.
But certainly, it is the most refined 400hp I've ever owned.
Don't misunderstand: I'm not looking for a Camaro, or a Mustang, or I would've bought one of them instead. But a 400hp car that forces you to keep the rear wheels into being in-line with the fronts is less fun than it could be.

Last edited by McJaguar; 10-30-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

The short shifting seems to be more of an early car problem. My 2005 STR has always hit 6100 rpm in any of the gears I checked. Not too sure about 5th? Things were moving very fast and I was watching the road.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
The short shifting seems to be more of an early car problem. My 2005 STR has always hit 6100 rpm in any of the gears I checked. Not too sure about 5th? Things were moving very fast and I was watching the road.
Perhaps it would be easier to convince a Jag tech to use an '05 file, versus the XKR file, especially for us 03/04 guys.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member

Careful - the 05 cars have other changes.

Yes it's apparently only the early cars that have the issue.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My 05 is the same, it's the most aggressive auto trans car I've ever owned. I like it a lot.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I wish we could find out for sure what Jaguar did to fix the short shifting on the STR??

We have had reports like mine that seem to show it was fixed by 2005 but I have not seen a TSB or anything saying they recognized it as a problem and then fixed it.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by tbird6
I wish we could find out for sure what Jaguar did to fix the short shifting on the STR??

We have had reports like mine that seem to show it was fixed by 2005 but I have not seen a TSB or anything saying they recognized it as a problem and then fixed it.

I bet they don't see it as a problem. Where is BRUTAL when we need him?

Quick Reply: STR Transmission "Reflash"?