Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Your MIL is on. What are the codes?

Old 08-31-2016, 06:18 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

O2 Sensors

Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member

Ouch - fix them URGENTLY or expect bad cats as well.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Gauranteed parking brake issue

Originally Posted by ShaneClara
I have this annoying tone on my 2003 S-Type. Any ideas? I suspect park brake issue maybe?https://youtu.be/IMV24W8j48M
I had this exact problem on my 2003 S-Type too. Notice that the car checks the park brake as soon as the door is opened (dash brake light illuminates immediately), and again after you shut the engine off. It makes that rapid beep both times, alerting you of the EPB problem.

To confirm it's EPB related...
Start engine, try to park the car on level terrain.
Next, hold down the EPB paddle while you shut off the engine and remove the key from ignition. Don't release the paddle until AFTER removing the key from the ignition.

Did it beep as before? If not, then the earlier beeps most likely indicate EPB failure. By depressing the paddle, you stopped the EPB from working, so no error detected by the system and no beeps.

A second test...
Now exit the car, lock it as you ordinarily would.
Next, unlock and reenter the car. Did it beep when you opened the door as it did before? If not, again, the EPB was not engaged when you last exited the car, so no error detected by the system.

Finally test...
- While still seated in the car with engine off - fasten your seat belt, shut off the HVAC fan and radio, and silence any other sources of noise. Now direct your ears to listen toward the rear seats.
- Depress the EPB paddle, insert the ignition key and turn the ignition key to position 2 but don't start the car.
- Now release the paddle. Did you hear any beeps yet?
- Now pull UP on the the paddle to engage the EPB and listen closely. It might make the beeping sound again, but more importantly, if you listen carefully you may hear the EPB make a crunching or scraping kind of sound, or it may may make no sound whatsoever. The crunching or scraping sound might indicate the EPB lever mechanism is failing; on the other hand, no sound whatsoever might indicate the lever has completely failed, or the EPB module which controls the lever mechanism has failed.

On my '03 S-Type, my correctly working EPB makes a faint but audible noise that can be heard when the interior is silent. When it failed, it made a loud crunching scraping sound. Eventually, I began to see park brake failure messages on the dash display as well.

I'm sure others on the forum will have different opinions about your beeping noise, but I have experienced it firsthand in my '03 S-type, and it was definitely related to my failed EPB handbrake (which is actually a part under the car).

Last edited by Jumpin' Jag Flash; 09-03-2016 at 01:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ShaneClara (09-05-2016)
Old 09-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
...more importantly, if you listen carefully you may hear the EPB make a crunching or scraping kind of sound, or it may may make no sound whatsoever. The crunching or scraping sound might indicate the EPB lever mechanism is failing; on the other hand, no sound whatsoever might indicate the lever has completely failed, or the EPB module which controls the lever mechanism has failed.
After VIN #M45254 the S-Type was fitted with an Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) system which basically consists of 4 components - the switch, the control module, the handbrake (aka lever mechanism), and the cable. If you're hearing noise when activating your EPB then the module and cable probably are working, but most likely the handbrake is or has malfunctioned.

Yes, they still call it a handbrake even though it is no longer mounted inside the car as the 1999-2002 cars had them.

Consult the JEPC for an exploded view of the parkbrake system.

Last edited by Jumpin' Jag Flash; 09-04-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

And the motor. Which can make alarming sounds e.g. as it strips its gears.

Handbrake = can be operated by hand.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaneClara
I have this annoying tone on my 2003 S-Type. Any ideas? I suspect park brake issue maybe?https://youtu.be/IMV24W8j48M
I'm pretty sure that's the 'Not in Park' warning tone. Any Park Brake warning is a slower, not as harsh beeping. Somehow the Not in Park switch signal is always signaling the shifter isn't correctly in Park. However, if that were the case, you should not be able to get the key out of the Ignition Barrel.

Try this, start the car, put it in drive and see if you can shut off the ignition and remove the key. You shouldn't be able to. If you can, you have confirmed there is something wrong with that system.

Cheers,

Old 11-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been dealing with this annoying beeping now for about a year.

The cause is from my emergency brake cable breaking on the driver side, and so the EPB cannot engage at all. It is stuck off. I'm not going to get it fixed. I don't need a response telling me to just get it fixed. I'm not going to spend the money on it.

I just want the seriously annoying beeping to go away. Is there any way to make it stop without replacing the parking brake cable that snapped?

Here is a video of the beeping noise for reference as to what I'm talking about. This happens every time I unlock the car, or remove the key from the ignition. Basically, any time the EPB tries to engage or disengage.

Is there a way to disconnect the speaker that the beeping is coming through?
Is there a way to disable the EPB check that occurs (maybe a fuse removal?)
Is there a way to trick the car into thinking that it has indeed engaged and disengaged the EPB?

Thank you.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:20 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

What happens if you disconnect the module?

Old 11-17-2016, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pantheon

The cause is from my emergency brake cable breaking on the driver side, and so the EPB cannot engage at all. It is stuck off. I'm not going to get it fixed. I don't need a response telling me to just get it fixed. I'm not going to spend the money on it.

I just want the seriously annoying beeping to go away. Is there any way to make it stop without replacing the parking brake cable that snapped?

Is there a way to trick the car into thinking that it has indeed engaged and disengaged the EPB?

Thank you.
Bearing in mind it's the Emergency brake how does the car pass inspections and why are you prepared to have no Emergency brake?

Old 11-17-2016, 05:34 AM

He may not need an inspection, I don't.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member

Don't see the location (*) for the poster but maybe we'll get to find answers to both questions...

(*) can't be UK as car would be off the road due to failed MoT on EPB. I think EU would be the same.

Last edited by JagV8; 11-17-2016 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a video of the beeping noise for reference as to what I'm talking about. This happens every time I unlock the car, or remove the key from the ignition. Basically, any time the EPB tries to engage or disengage.

https://youtu.be/qKYXaDB2dfI

Thank you.
Go back and read from post #40 forward, as his problem/video/beeps were same as yours.

I posted instructions above on how to hold down the EPB paddle when shutting off the car/extracting the key so the beep will not sound. It also does not engage the EPB, so be forewarned this might be a problem if you park on an incline. Please read.

Also, identify in your owners manual which fuse is for the EPB, then pull it and test if it stops the beeps. Trial and error is how most of us figure this stuff out. Please report back with your findings. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2016, 10:16 AM

Thank you for your replies. I'm in the United States, and have never had any official of any kind check for this to be working on any car I've owned.

In any case, I have certainly already read all the previous posts on this topic, and can't come up with a permanent solution without simply fixing the problem, which as previously stated, I have no intention of doing. The "paddle trick" stops the EPB from engaging that time only, not every time.

I'm not going to be doing that every time I exit the car, and also it doesn't stop the beeping from sounding upon re-entry, which is really when I'm most annoyed.

I'll mess around with pulling some fuses and report back. In the meantime, does anyone know an easy way to disconnect the speaker it's coming through? Is it a dedicated speaker solely created to annoy me?

Go back and read from post #40 forward, as his problem/video/beeps were same as yours.

I posted instructions above on how to hold down the EPB paddle when shutting off the car/extracting the key so the beep will not sound. It also does not engage the EPB, so be forewarned this might be a problem if you park on an incline. Please read.

Also, identify in your owners manual which fuse is for the EPB, then pull it and test if it stops the beeps. Trial and error is how most of us figure this stuff out. Please report back with your findings. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2016, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
What happens if you disconnect the module?
Did you try?

Old 11-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in the United States, and have never had any official of any kind check for this to be working on any car I've owned.
In the U.S., vehicle safety laws and enforcement inspections are determined by each state, not by the federal government. They do vary quite a bit from state to state. So some states might require a working parking brake to pass inspection and others might not. Some states even exempt some cars from safety inspections altogether, New Jersey being one.

The "paddle trick" stops the EPB from engaging that time only, not every time.
Correct. So some of the permanent solutions are: 1) fix the cable 2) find that speaker and cut one of the wires 3) pull the EPB fuse 4) disconnect the EPB module 5) possibly other options?
Is it a dedicated speaker solely created to annoy me?
I doubt it was designed to annoy anyone, but it's distinctive high pitch and rapid rate clearly indicate your car has a problem that requires urgent attention. There's no way you mistake it for seat belt chime or headlight reminder.

What's annoying is that there's nothing in my owner's manual that says what those beeps mean. I had to figure it out for myself, and I wasted lots of time doing so.

The Jaguar brand EPB cable can be bought online for about $60. Why not just fix it? Knowing mine is working right gives me peace of mind.

I mean no disrespect, but it's hard to own one of these champagne cars on a beer budget.
Good luck!

Old 11-29-2016, 02:42 PM

So, the paddle trick has been a nice relief, since when I remember to do it when exiting the vehicle, my car also does not beep upon entering the vehicle the next time.

I'm wondering, when I don't do the paddle trick and let the car beep--since only the driver side cable has snapped, if the passenger side parking brake is actually engaging. Any idea?

Also, anyone have a recommendation of where to get this fixed in Southern California for around $100 if I decide to go that route?

In the U.S., vehicle safety laws and enforcement inspections are determined by each state, not by the federal government. They do vary quite a bit from state to state. So some states might require a working parking brake to pass inspection and others might not. Some states even exempt some cars from safety inspections altogether, New Jersey being one.

Correct. So some of the permanent solutions are: 1) fix the cable 2) find that speaker and cut one of the wires 3) pull the EPB fuse 4) disconnect the EPB module 5) possibly other options?

I doubt it was designed to annoy anyone, but it's distinctive high pitch and rapid rate clearly indicate your car has a problem that requires urgent attention. There's no way you mistake it for seat belt chime or headlight reminder.

What's annoying is that there's nothing in my owner's manual that says what those beeps mean. I had to figure it out for myself, and I wasted lots of time doing so.

The Jaguar brand EPB cable can be bought online for about $60. Why not just fix it? Knowing mine is working right gives me peace of mind.

I mean no disrespect, but it's hard to own one of these champagne cars on a beer budget.
Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

I'm wondering, when I don't do the paddle trick and let the car beep--since only the driver side cable has snapped, if the passenger side parking brake is actually engaging. Any idea?
Sorry, I have no idea.

Also, anyone have a recommendation of where to get this fixed in Southern California for around $100 if I decide to go that route?
I'd suggest you post this question in the JF forum that covers the SoCal geographic area. My other suggestion is to ask for an estimate from your local Jag dealership, although it's unlikely they can do it for $100. That would buy you about 1 hour labor in a private shop, assuming you provide the cable.

So, using the Make, Model, Year, Engine and/or last 6 digits of your VIN you can determine the correct part# you need by searching one of the online Jaguar retail parts sellers' sites. Several of these sites are actually parts departments of brick and mortar Jaguar dealerships.

Most of these sites have detailed diagrams similar to what's in the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog, so you can see exactly the parts and get the specific part number; right and left cables will probably have different part numbers in your case.

Armed with the correct part#, you can then shop around for the best price. Some specialized parts will only be available in Jaguar brand; EPB cable might be one of them. Thankfully, there are several online sellers carrying Jag brand S-Type parts.

Also, don't overlook your local Jag dealer's parts dept., especially on small ticket items. Once in awhile my local dealer's parts dept. prices are competitive with or even cheaper than the online sellers, and the item might be available immediately; this is especially true on lower priced items - e.g. '05 OEM wiper blades with nozzles - so I buy local.

BUT - on big ticket items it pays to shop online. I just went through this with replacing my '03 S-Type fuel pump and sender unit. I bought from the parts dept of a South Carolina Jag dealer who saved me $100+ (inc. overnight shipping) over my local dealer's price inc.tax, and he overnighted the parts directly to my mechanic a day sooner than my local dealer could promise them.

All this takes a little work, but it is almost always worth the effort. Buy the part; find a good shop to install it. Good luck!

Last edited by Jumpin' Jag Flash; 11-30-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

I suspect a wrecker / car breaker / ebay would have the cable etc.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Great idea. Never thought of that.

Quick Reply: Strange beeping noise...please help