S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

structural integrity

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default structural integrity

Hi all- my poor S Type R has suffered rust issues underneath and my mechanic has said it was very creaky on the lift and I am concerned that this is the end for my beloved cat. Has anyone else had this issue and is there any hope of welding in a repair? i have invested heavily in this doing all of the major work ( dccv-all hoses, new coils, transmission overhaul) and would hate to give up- also now that I am retired don't really have the funds for something of this caliber, so a bad news story-help!
Has just over 200k kms

Old 04-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hello Paul. Even from so far away, I hear and feel your pain. I really think it best to defer to someone in your back yard (like Mikey) to advise you best. Obviously, any body cancer can be repaired . . . at a price . . . but I think you would be wise to consider all options.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 04-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Our cars are of monocoque construction (no separate frame/chassis with a body sitting on top). Usually the sills are the first to go in the case of corrosion. If that's what your mechanic is referring to then yes there's a fix albeit quite expensive.

I'm not sure that bad sills reduces the cars integrity in a significant way but it does mean that the car cannot be lifted using them.

Could supply more detail of what you've found?

Old 04-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

The STRs are the only variants of this model that have any chance of becoming a future classic. The continuing significant price gap between the STRs & the lesser models is proof that the market still values these cars highly, which is as it's always been, & probably always will be. So it's probably worth the expense of having the repairs done to the highest standard possible. Though that does depend on the individuals financial circumstances, & how long they're prepared to wait for their investment to mature. So in the OPs case I'd probably say it would be best if he moved this car on, unless he's prepared & able to pay for the repairs, which appears to be the problem. I just hope he manages to move it along to someone with the skills, wherewithal & enthusiasm to tackle the rust, as I'd hate to see another STR hit the breaker's yard.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:03 AM

Hi and thx all- updates from my mechanic- worse in the rear around where the subframe attaches and some rot in the front- he gave me a couple of places to check out that do frame/unibody repairs and I will check them out next week- not ready to give up yet! I will post what I find next week-thx Paul

The following users liked this post:
Mikey (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Perhaps other Aussies of somewhat senior years (ahem, where are you, Grant? LOL) . . . will recall, like me, the at-once infamous picture plastered across Sydney's "Daily Telegraph" of the early Jaguar E-Type convertible that had so much rust across the floor, tunnel and all through both sills that, having hit a road bump in the middle of the Sydney Harbour Bridge . . . it literally broke in two! Early to mid '70s I think, and caused quite a fuss blocking traffic until the inglorious mess was towed away . . . by two separate tow trucks!

Cheers,

Ken

Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 PM

Ok finally got a guy to put it on a hoist ( first guy had me drive out of town 45min and he got on his knees and said thats bad, but I need to put it on the hoist but it is tied up today, but then said it would be $3k and probably more) so the local welder said $1k but could go a bit higher once he remove the plastic underbody- so it goes in next week -fingers crossed- I will try to post a before pic-thx

Attached Thumbnails structural integrity-img_1518.jpg  

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2017, 06:03 PM

Forgot to mention that it is the sills and where they attach to subframes- I think the sill assembly is very structural - when I accelerate rapidly or stop quickly I hear the chassis groan and creak and some bad roads now make the doors rattle in there frames-started late last fall, I thought at first shocks (which are one of the last things yet to do) so I hope this fix works-I will post the after photo's

Old 05-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Default Happy ending

I had a friend recommend a guy for welding in new sills and it has turned out very well -both sides done and some painting (fixed a few bubbles over rear wheels) all in for $1200 - he did a better paint match than the premier shop that re-painted a rear door after my boss scuffed it! I am so relieved and happy that I will get him do do the same to my RX7! Sorry no in progress photos- I was called into work and couldn't get there.
So if your near London Ontario and need this kind of work I'll get you the contact info!