S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stype 5R55N Valve Spring replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The drain/level check pipe/plug's part number is 4W4Z-7A010-AA - can be purchased from Ford/Lincoln. List price is $12.63.
Christian

Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
Let us know what you think of the ATSG 5R55N book?? I got one before for another transmission and did not find it very useful?
I found all information about the transmission in the book, very useful... but, it's possible change the spring and put out all part using the "ebay CD". Next week I try put some pictures or video of the complete installation. The most important part is the check valve positions!!! (I take some pictures for us)

Old 12-02-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by cstich
The drain/level check pipe/plug's part number is 4W4Z-7A010-AA - can be purchased from Ford/Lincoln. List price is $12.63.
Christian
Thanks!!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Exclamation confused :/

my batt. seems to be fine.... ok i just want to make sure, is there anything else i should be looking for before i go in and try to change this spring? and is there a detailed explantion on how to do this and what i should be aware of i have found some stuff looking through the forums. but maybe someone can just break it down for me instead of me looking for scattered pieces? id really appreciate it. and my cars a 2001 jag s type with a AT 5rr5n. and im getting the PO-795 problem, and detials on the car, it drives perfectly fine first second and third gear takes a bit longer to get into 3rd gear but it eventually does with out any problem! and sometime it will go into 3rd and be fine( i havent tryed going past 40 cuz i know theres a problem). but than sometimes it goes into gearbox fault and it stays in 3rd (so i ussualy stay in the streets not passing 35MPH) and if i turn the car off and back on it goes back to normal and eventually back to gearbox fault. i dont understand how it can drive perfectly fine than give me the problem in 4th gear. but seems like it happens often to jags. any information will help alot and i reallllly appreaciate it. i plan on ordering the spring filter and gasket soon to go in with my dad and his friend and hopefully fixing it.

also is it for sure the spring or am i just taking a chance in fixing it and seeing if thats my problem.

Thank You,
Jason Garcia

Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Look for the very recent writeup by tdc which includes photos. BTW, that's P0795 - use that to find proper matches. So, digit 0 and no hyphen.

No, it's not certain but it is common. So is a solenoid fault and a few others if you read.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by tbird6
If you look at the link posted a LONG time ago it shows exactly where it goes. Has a picture so English is not required. Please take a look!!
can you post a link to this thread can not find it

Old 08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Default 5R55N Part Numbers Please?

Hello CSTICH-

Do you recall the part numbers for the pressure plate gasket and the valve body separator plate gaskets? The dealership in Fort Worth acts like they have no clue what I am talking about, but I can clearly see the gaskets on my separator plate and pressure plate. If not, does anyone know if it would hurt to reuse my gaskets - they are not damaged, but I really do not like using old gaskets over again?

Thanks-
mtfife

Originally Posted by cstich
I replaced that spring and the other springs listed by Sonax - see above post. In fact, I still have another set of the other 5 (6?) springs from Sonax.

You need to remove the following

Pan and internal filter (obviously)

Remove pressure sensor

Remove solenoid body - need to remove electrical connector that plugs in from above and that is secured with a bolt - difficult to get to with a wrench while the transmission is in the car, but possible - I managed to do it.

Remove valvebody pressure plate - need to get a new gasket for that - get it from Jaguar or Ford/Lincoln.

Remove valvebody - optional to replace separator plate with integral gasket - mine looked fine and reusable, but I had already had a replacement separator plate/gasket so I used the new one.

Points to watch out:
some of the plugs for the valve body springs are difficult to remove - especially those secured with the L-shaped hooks as those get hammered and deformed during operation from the constant movement of the springs/pistons.
The W-clip secured plugs are relatively easy to remove.

Don't turn the valve body upside down - or you'll be looking for a while where each check ball and other parts came from (and went...).

When reconnecting the solenoid block connector on the outside of the transmission, make sure that it's properly plugged in and that the bolt that you need to retighten has engaged the threads in the solenoid block - if this connector is not properly plugged in you'll see a ton of error codes - Solenoid A, B, C failure, etc. etc.

Also, I'd recommend installing the Transgo SK-5R55W (covers 5R55N/S/W transmissions) - it adds a mechanical pressure safety relief for the Electronic Pressure Control - many transmissions have been destroyed by the PCM (computer) forcing them to max pressure (or by a sticking pressure control solenoid) -> this can ramp internal control pressures beyond design limits (for transmission operation, but also parts breakage).

Christian

Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member

If they're autobox parts they should be readily available as it's a common box. You can probably find the full parts list online if you look

Old 08-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mtfife

Do you recall the part numbers for the pressure plate gasket and the valve body separator plate gaskets? The dealership in Fort Worth acts like they have no clue what I am talking about, but I can clearly see the gaskets on my separator plate and pressure plate. If not, does anyone know if it would hurt to reuse my gaskets - they are not damaged, but I really do not like using old gaskets over again?

Thanks-
mtfife
Separator Plate/Gasket (XW4Z-7Z490-AB)

Don't have the (thin) gasket part number right now. I will look for it later and if I find it I will update this thread.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:55 PM

Sorry for reviving an old thread but this came the closest to helping me understand how to fix my problem. Sure I need to replace the 4-3 spring. I see where it is, I see all of the parts and placement. What I don't see (and can't seem to find anywhere) is an instruction on how to remove the cap/retaining clip. I see just a cap with a small hole in the center of the cap, tried to hook this gently and pull out but no success. I don't see the w-shaped clip. Help as I'm a bit stuck.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I did this job a couple of months ago. The w-clip comes out with a small screwdriver. The cap is threaded so you can screw in a metric bolt to assist in removal (forget the size). It took some gentle persuasion but the cap eventually came out. Having the ATSG manual helps a lot.