S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temporarily turn off bells when I turn the key?

Old 11-12-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Temporarily turn off bells when I turn the key?

I am trying to hear if my fuel pump is running in a attempt to resolve a startup problem. Car wont start up, but does crank strongly. I was told if I turn the key to the second position that I would hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds. However when I turn the key to the second position I hear a chimes or bells over everything else. These chimes or bells only last a few seconds but impede on me hearing the fuel pump. How do I turn off these chimes upon turning the ignition key? I already removed back seat to expose the fuel pump. When I turn the ignition key to second position, how long how long should the fuel pump run? How loud should the sound of the fuel pump be?

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 11-12-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

There should be no chimes so they are a clue to the fault.

Exactly which chimes can help you figure what the fault is.

When there is a fault it can be that it will mean the fuel pump is not activated.

So... you really do need to figure what is wrong and fix it rather than worrying about the fuel pump.

(I think the car can't prevent the cranking, even when such a fault is present.)

An example, which I suspect isn't your case, of such a lock-out: not in Park.

Last edited by JagV8; 11-12-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
There should be no chimes so they are a clue to the fault.

Exactly which chimes can help you figure what the fault is.

When there is a fault it can be that it will mean the fuel pump is not activated.

So... you really do need to figure what is wrong and fix it rather than worrying about the fuel pump.

(I think the car can't prevent the cranking, even when such a fault is present.)

An example, which I suspect isn't your case, of such a lock-out: not in Park.
how do I determine if it is a lockout? The alarm light on the dash turns off after about 2 seconds of turning the key so I do not believe it is a lockout problem. The car is definitely in park. Just about every car I turn the key on has bells in it just for a few seconds so I am unsure of what you mean by it being some type of code to what is wrong with the car. Is there a chart to tell me what the times are if in fact you are correct and it is a clue to my problem? Thank you in advance.

Jagv8.. you and I spoke about this problem last week. I purchased the Elm 327 and torque software. The car is 4 hours away and I am currently en route to the car. I will run the codes when I get there. I just posted the question about turning off the chimes in the event that it was not part of the problem. Just trying to brainstorm while I am in route during my four hour drive.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 11-12-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Do you have fuel at the Schrader valve?
Does it spray out pretty good when you release the pressure?

Yes the pump runs for a fixed time every time the key is cycled on.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Do you have fuel at the Schrader valve?
Does it spray out pretty good when you release the pressure?

Yes the pump runs for a fixed time every time the key is cycled on.
, my car is an 05 S type with a v6. Correct me if I am wrong but it does not appear that this car came with an inline valve Schrader type to hook up a fuel pump gauge. I will not be installing one. The best I can come up with is to remove the outline of the fuel filter to see if there is any spray. If you can think of an easier way feel free to comment. Currently I am in the middle of a four hour drive up to the car.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

It should not have bells. It's reporting a problem (possibly but not necessarily something you're doing - make sure you have door closed, seat belt on, foot on brake, no lights on, just be normal).

It can refuse to start for many reasons. You sound like you think they are all PATS-related but they aren't (e.g. not in park).

Last edited by JagV8; 11-12-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:00 PM

It should not have bells. It's reporting a problem (possibly but not necessarily something you're doing - make sure you have door closed, seat belt on, foot on brake, no lights on, just be normal).

It can refuse to start for many reasons. You sound like you think they are all PATS-related but they aren't (e.g. not in park).
Jag v8... No I'm not implying that it is a PATS issue. The security dash light goes off after a few seconds of turning the ignition key. post more tomorrow and hope you will be online to read my updated status after I pull codes and count the chimes after I turn the ignition key. I will take your advice and first verify doors fully closed verify seat belt is on before counting the chimes. Once again I hope to hear from you tomorrow after I post the codes

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 11-12-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I get no chimes with my car unless a door is open or a seatbelt is not done up.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Why does this sound like a familiar post to me from the same member....

Old 11-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag

So you're saying that something rings a bell?

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-13-2015), Norri (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

^ Ha! Thats a good 1. Thanks for the laugh today Mikey!

Old 11-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Default Finally got codes

You were correct, with the door shut and seatbelt on there were no chimes.

With rear seat removed, as I Lay down in the rear compartment with my ear up against the fuel pump, I had my wife turn the key to second position. I could hear a very faint Electrical hum sound but not the sound of the pump actually pumping or working. As she turned the key off the electrical type of sound went away. Keep in mind that this electrical type of sound which really was a very faint hum was barely audible unless my ear was right up against the fuel pump and I have very excellent hearing. Not at all audible from the front seat. Codes are as follows...

P0191 powertrain. Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit range/ performance.

P0442 powertrain. Evaporative emission control system leak detected.

P0456 small leak detected possible gas cap or hose etc.

P1111( click on code for further description) many other vehicle name brands such as Ford, Audi, triumph, among a few others but no description listed for Jaguar.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 11-13-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
My apologies

Old 11-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

P1111 is in the free download workshop manual

and many times on this site

Old 11-13-2015, 02:04 PM

P1111 is in the free download workshop manual

and many times on this site
The workshop manual, which I believe is the JTIS requires a computer for download as it is an executable file. I am at a location with just this Android phone and I cannot download the manual on a Android phone. I am in a desperate situation here as this is my only vehicle.

If my research is correct, and correct me if I'm wrong, the p1111 code is not a fault code but just a diagnostic code implying that the system completed its diagnostics successfully.

I am four and a half hours from home and due to my location and lack of computer I am relying on the generosity of the members of this forum for assistance. I am NOT normally one to need my hands held to resolve issues so I plead for your patience in my unique situation.

As far as the codes I listed, is there anything that sticks out that would prevent my car from starting? Keep in mind it cranks just fine.

I am fortunate that there are 2 auto parts stores in the area but I do not have the kind of money for a dealership.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 11-13-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

You can get a PDF

Old 11-13-2015, 02:47 PM

You can get a PDF
With this Android phone it is very difficult to find anything. But I think I found it however I keep getting an error stating that the web page is unavailable. When it rains it pours

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 11-13-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
With this Android phone it is very difficult to find anything. But I think I found it however I keep getting an error stating that the web page is unavailable. When it rains it pours
Something might be wrong with the Jaguar webpage that the Handbook is on because I have been able to download technical bulletins, fuse diagrams from the Jaguar website but not this handbook. At this time I might need a little hand holding to guide me through what I need to be looking at . Did anything stand out with the codes I posted?

Old 11-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Your car has a Schrader valve as well as a fuel pressure sensor.

You can hook a gauge up but as a rule of thumb if you depress the center of the valve to release pressure it should spray up a couple of feet. If it just bubbles out that's a sign of low fuel pressure.

Just a quick check that does not require any tools.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Your car has a Schrader valve as well as a fuel pressure sensor.

You can hook a gauge up but as a rule of thumb if you depress the center of the valve to release pressure it should spray up a couple of feet. If it just bubbles out that's a sign of low fuel pressure.

Just a quick check that does not require any tools.
I took the entire air cleaner assembly off down to the carburetor or what looks like the carburetor. I can find no Schrader valve. I sprayed starter fluid into the air intake and the car starts but only briefly which tells me that the car has spark getting to the plugs and it also tells me that it is just a fuel issue. Because I cannot find the Schrader valve and the fact that I can never changed the fuel filter out. Although I am pretty sure it is the fuel pump, undoing the fuel filter will tell me definitely if the fuel pump is bad as I will try to start the car with the fuel filter line disconnected and see if there is any spray. I am happy because I feel I am getting closer to the resolution and will keep everybody posted.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 11-13-2015 at 06:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Temporarily turn off bells when I turn the key?