S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tree Sap (AHHHH)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tree Sap (AHHHH)

With a beautiful summer in the Pacific NW and a lot of sunny days I am back in AZ mode when looking for a parking space. Fine the shade. I was successful in doing that today at Costco but unfortunately the shade came from a tree that dropped millions of little sap droplets all over the car.
I got home and let the paint cool off in the garage and tried some bug and tar remover that is not suppose to harm the wax and it sort of worked but not that well. I might have to do all the surfaces at least twice so, does anyone know of a good product to remove tree sap and not remove the wax?
Maybe the polishing pad on my orbital polisher/buffer will need to be used along with the bug and tar remover but I am hoping for something easier. (getting lazy in my old age)

Old 07-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Sounds like it may be time for wax on, wax off Danielson!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I use plain ol' rubbing alcohol poured onto an old worn-out cotton diaper. Use plenty of alcohol and rub by hand, gently but firmly, taking your time in a circular motion. Dissolves and removes fresh or hardened tree sap every time with no damage to the finish. Hardened tree sap just takes a bit more alcohol and effort....

Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

It's too late now but if they're the fine beads the best thing is buckets of hot water tossed over the car ASAP and they come off like magic, especially if it's well waxed.

But if you've got globs like I got last weekend then Bug & Tar remover with hot water and soap works just fine.

But forget about using regular wax. If you clay your car and buff it properly to repair all the watermarks and light scratches this is what you want to put on it.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...r-sealant-pint

It will last for a year and make keeping that paint clean a lot easier.
I did mine last year and was amazed. My car needed a LOT of bringing back too.

No affiliation just a very satisfied customer.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I use plain ol' rubbing alcohol poured onto an old worn-out cotton diaper. Use plenty of alcohol and rub by hand, gently but firmly, taking your time in a circular motion. Dissolves and removes fresh or hardened tree sap every time with no damage to the finish. Hardened tree sap just takes a bit more alcohol and effort....
The rubbing alcohol looks like a good remedy but will it also remove the wax? Now that the sap has hardened, it may be my only / best solution even if re-waxing is needed.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

3M Adhesive Remover has worked well for me.

3M? Adhesive Remover

Old 07-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Yes, rubbing alcohol will remove most standard waxes. But that is a small price to pay to get the tree sap off of your exterior finish....

Old 07-22-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Yes, rubbing alcohol will remove most standard waxes. But that is a small price to pay to get the tree sap off of your exterior finish....
I used rubbing alcohol on the top, trunk and upper doors and glass yesterday and it worked as advertised. The sap cam off easily. I am glad it is only a fine mist and not globs. Now I need to do the front where it seems thicker as the front was directly under the tree branches so I hope it comes off as easily.
Jon89, you are right in that it really is a small price to pay to keep this beautiful car beautiful. Re-waxing is next.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Catone
I used rubbing alcohol on the top, trunk and upper doors and glass yesterday and it worked as advertised. The sap cam off easily. I am glad it is only a fine mist and not globs. Now I need to do the front where it seems thicker as the front was directly under the tree branches so I hope it comes off as easily.
Jon89, you are right in that it really is a small price to pay to keep this beautiful car beautiful. Re-waxing is next.
So the hot water didn't work?

Old 07-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I often use WD40 with a terry cloth rag and wash it afterwards.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Outside my house the only parking space is under a tree, and she is parked there all week with just outings weekends. I always use a wash bucket containing hot water and a good quality wash & wax concentrate - The tree sap is waxy and the heat and detergents in the wash melt it and then lift it straight off. You need to beware though, as if I remember tree sap is a little acidic and if left for long enough it will have an effect on your paintwork so it is worth getting it off as soon as you can

Old 08-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Times 2 on WD40 - removes a surprising number of contaminants without damaging the part/paint underneath, as also does PB-Blaster.
Also VM&P Naptha from your local homecare/paint or hardware store works on a lot of adhesives and tars. I have used it for years without damaging anything I have tried it on to date. Ronsonol cigarette lighter fluid is also an expensive way to by Naptha.

Best of luck with it.