Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Useless Features

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Useless Features

By and large I am very satisfied with my S-Type, but it has some features that are pretty useless.

1. Instant Fuel consumption in the trip computer. This is never right as I get readings anywhere from 15 to 99 mpg. My other Jaguars did the same thing so this a design issue with how the calculations are performed.

2. Auto headlamps. I have never used this as I turn my headlights on when I need them and turn them off when I don't.

3. Sunglasses holder. Not sure why anyone would use this as they always seem to wear them when leaving the car.

Mike

Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Mike,
I must respectfully disagree. I use the instant mpg feature very frequently to assess the throttle position, load on the engine and whether the car is in its DFCO ( Deceleration Fuel Cut-Off ) mode. This feature has allowed me to refine my driving techniques so that I have achieved a lifetime average fuel economy of over 28 mpg and best tankfill averages of over 36 mpg. Its a great feature in my opinion.

I also am very fond of the auto-headlight feature as I have inadvertently left my headlights on before. I usually use it to turn on the headlights so that if I forget to shut them off manually the system takes care of it.

I don't have the sunglass holder option but I do use one that I put on my visor.
Viva la difference.
Best wishes, VMV

Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Features I have little use for are:
1. The dashlight dimming switch; if I set it any dimmer than the brighest level I can't see the data.
2. The ashtray in the center console. I removed mine and wired in a 3-outlet power source.
But I do love my Jag ( 2000 3L V6 , BRG ) VMV

Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VMV
Features I have little use for are:
1. The dashlight dimming switch; if I set it any dimmer than the brighest level I can't see the data.
2. The ashtray in the center console. I removed mine and wired in a 3-outlet power source.
But I do love my Jag ( 2000 3L V6 , BRG ) VMV
how much milage and how much did you get yours for if you dont mind

Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Uselessness is Individual Choices

Well OK, I use the sunglasses holder every day, The clear ones go there when the dark ones are on and vice versa.

I ditched the center ashtray and replaced it with the factory available fitted rubber liner. And a blank cap for the lighter socket. Perfect place for my cell phone.

I don't have much use though for the auto exit seat/steering wheel movement. Turned it off because (1) when the wheel goes all the way up it pushes the dash parts out of position so they rattle when the wheel drops back down and (2) it's easier to get in and out when the seat is not all the way down and back!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't have much use for the ashtray either, but my wife does. Whenever she gets in the car, she fills up the ashtray and leaves a water bottle in the cup holder. I have to clean up after her.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

No use for the ...... Oh wait mine is basic. Nothing really that would be wasted... I like everything on it and use them. Auto Lamps, auto tilt wheel, sunglass holder, the ashtray is gone... replaced by the accessory SIRIUS radio.. So, guess my answer would be more of I wish the SIRIUS radio was a real add on tuner and controlled by the head unit...

Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgewa
I don't have much use though for the auto exit seat/steering wheel movement. Turned it off because (1) when the wheel goes all the way up it pushes the dash parts out of position so they rattle when the wheel drops back down and (2) it's easier to get in and out when the seat is not all the way down and back!

I agree that this is one feature that looks cool when you get in the car, but it’s really a waste of time, power and I see it as something else that could break. I picked my car up from the Jaguar dealership and they had reset everything. I opened the door and was amazed at everything that was going on since I had almost forgotten all the features of the car.

I also use the sunglasses holder, since I have sunglasses that I only use while driving.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the ashtray to hold my gum pack or mints. The sunglass holder is used often. And the auto headlight is great for use in tunnels that require your headlights to turn on or risk a fine. Unfortunately, it is not sensitive enough for gloomy, rainy days so I find myself manually turning them on then.

The useless features are all the extra buttons for phone and bluetooth on the radio console.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

The sunglass holder is too shallow. My sunglasses are wrap around so no light enters from the sides. Fishing or mountaineering type glasses. I can't close the door fully. I forced and broke the catch! Nice dealer fixed under warranty!!

I don't have it but consider the adaptive cruise expensive and worthless to me.

I have an early 2005 with the two equal sized cup holders. Still looking for the updated version with one big and one small cup holder.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

We have the two-different-size cupholders in the console of our May 2005-built S-Type 3.0. A ridiculously stupid idea....

And Mike, I can completely relate to you having to clean up after your wife after she's been driving your car. That's why I don't like my wife driving my Ram pickup. Good thing she hates to drive it except when she wants to go buy shrubs and trees at the local garden centers....

Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Sounds like you two could swap cupholders!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

I actually have both.....

I thought I hated the "large and small" cup holder so I found a breaker with an 04 and grabbed the "one size" cup holder from them... So, now I hate both! The large / small is good for a larger coffee mug, but no grips to hold it... The "one size" is just that, one teeny tiny size!

You do realize we are having a debate over cup holders of all things....

God, I love this place!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

See the UK forum - they first did, er..., let's call it car wash (ahem), and then cheese.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I often wonder how many people use all three garage door opener buttons.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Good info JOsworth!! I did not know the big cup holder did not have the internal "grippers" to hold the cup!! Do you want to get rid of the big one? Send me a PM if you do. The small ones are tough to use with the Mega drinks they serve at the drive thru!! The cup holder change was made sometime in 2005. My 2005 was built in late 2004.

I use 2 out of the 3 "Home link" buttons. This is one option the Lincoln LS did much better. Just a small oval panel with 3 push buttons mounted on the driver’s sun visor. Small and nice.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Wedgewa;
I ditched the center ashtray and replaced it with the factory available fitted rubber liner. And a blank cap for the lighter socket. Perfect place for my cell phone.

Any chance you can post the part number for that rubber liner? I have never seen this? Mine has a plastic ashtray.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by tbird6
Good info JOsworth!! I did not know the big cup holder did not have the internal "grippers" to hold the cup!! Do you want to get rid of the big one? Send me a PM if you do. The small ones are tough to use with the Mega drinks they serve at the drive thru!! The cup holder change was made sometime in 2005. My 2005 was built in late 2004.

I use 2 out of the 3 "Home link" buttons. This is one option the Lincoln LS did much better. Just a small oval panel with 3 push buttons mounted on the driver’s sun visor. Small and nice.
I would trade but.... Now I know I'm going to get laughs on this... I actually switch them back and forth....It just pops in and out of the console... So, "large / small" during my solo commutes and the "two little ones" when there are others in the car with me...

The S had the same setup until the 2003 refresh. I just ordered an overhead console from a breaker off of an 03 with homelink since mine doesn't have it (yes it is truly a BASE S Type). I was considering trying to fit the older sunvisors, but they looked different. So here's hoping the overhead works....

Old 11-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,454 Likes on 7,442 Posts

I must be getting lazy in my olde age. I enjoy the automatic headlights, seats and windshield wipers, just less to think about.
Now, if there was some way where I could take short naps while on long fwy stretches, that might be interesting.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Hehehe I feel your pain Jon and Mike, they are called ashtrays not garbage trays, lets see how many gum wrappers I can cram in and watch my hubby try to get out!

I personally like all the features so far when I drive Joyces Jag. I have long legs and the auto seat back works great for me. My coffee cup holds about 10 cups of joe and fits nicely into the larger cup holder and after the coffee comes the Pepsi in a coozy that fits snuggly in the little one. The auto on headlamps do suck for us anyways, here in SC if its raining it is required to burn headlamps. As we all know they don't come on like that, small price to pay! Eventually we will be using all 3 homelink buttons as we are opting for a gated yard and driveway soon.

Pictures anyone??? Ha!!!

Quick Reply: Useless Features