Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty is paying off -

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Warranty is paying off -

2006 Stype Sport Nav 112000km 3.0 - Easy Care Total Care Warranty
Good evening everyone - I tell ya...this car has run without an issue for me since I have owned it...now for a little over 2 years....
Last week - windshield replaced - overheated and bubbled...
Yesterday - engine light on....took it in....Mass Air flow issue..I forget the code.....IMT RING TIME? Also - changing the sparkplugs since the top of the engine will be off.....
I will be getting this done next week.....since its in...anything else that should be looked at since the top of the motor will be off?
Have a nice evening everyone and thanks for the great advice...always.
Also - attached a photo of my car! Check it out!

Attached Thumbnails Warranty is paying off --car-summer.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

Sorry to hear about your issues, but sooo good that you have warranty....all be fixed up good as new for free

I'm sure the S type gurus will chime in with anything else needed........

car looks great btw

Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,684 Likes on 7,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixx Dogg
2006 Stype Sport Nav 112000km 3.0 - Easy Care Total Care Warranty
Good evening everyone - I tell ya...this car has run without an issue for me since I have owned it...now for a little over 2 years....
Last week - windshield replaced - overheated and bubbled...
Yesterday - engine light on....took it in....Mass Air flow issue..I forget the code.....IMT RING TIME? Also - changing the sparkplugs since the top of the engine will be off.....
I will be getting this done next week.....since its in...anything else that should be looked at since the top of the motor will be off?
Have a nice evening everyone and thanks for the great advice...always.
Also - attached a photo of my car! Check it out!

I have the identical warranty and it's very good.
Suggest you have the shop replace the rear tranny seal also and whatever else you can find that's covered in the warranty.
You're also allowed $30/ day for a rental car.
If this work is done by a Jag dealer, see if there's a new XF or...... available for a small additional fee.
1 year ago, I had the battery cr@p out mine and I got a new XF for a few days while the dealer did their stuff, cost and additional $20/day..WELLLL worth it.
Good luck....

Old 01-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,284 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Definitely get those IMT O-rings upgraded to the new green-colored ones. If your factory yellow-colored ones haven't failed yet, it's just a matter of time before they do....

Also, have them take a good look at your coolant expansion tank. If there are any signs of leakage, demand a new one. Same goes for your DCCV....

It would be a good idea to have them check your rear stabilizer links as well. I'll bet that your rubber bushings are crushed and cracked. Ours were before the car was even four years old and with less than 30,000 miles on the odometer....

Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Devil is in the details of the "warranty" which is technically an extended service contract...

So far I've discovered mine won't cover belts, anything coolant related such as hoses, leaking tanks or the cats/exhaust...All of those items are somewhat common failures in the S-Type...

Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

What, if I may ask, did the extended warranty cost?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

So far my extended warranty has covered, ZF sleeve leaking which included dropping pan and replacing with a new one plus the sleeve and new fluid ..yessss at 60,000 miles

also had a drooping HID pass headlight assembly replaced $1500.00 dollars parts and labor for that. Had the coolant overflow tank changed at the same time 3or 400 bucks for that.

Had the front and rear suspension all changed at 50,0000 miles very expensive.

few other minor things as well. probably double what the warranty cost at least.

Had to pay for my transmission cooling lines myself, not covered. $1000.00 for that.

One year left on warranty. DCCV will be done before expiry..lol

Old 01-13-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Definitely get those IMT O-rings upgraded to the new green-colored ones. If your factory yellow-colored ones haven't failed yet, it's just a matter of time before they do....

Also, have them take a good look at your coolant expansion tank. If there are any signs of leakage, demand a new one. Same goes for your DCCV....

It would be a good idea to have them check your rear stabilizer links as well. I'll bet that your rubber bushings are crushed and cracked. Ours were before the car was even four years old and with less than 30,000 miles on the odometer....
Good afternoon! Coolant Tank - getting changed - I will have him look at the stabilizer links....my warranty has 1 year left....
What is the DCCV?
thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64

Sorry to hear about your issues, but sooo good that you have warranty....all be fixed up good as new for free

I'm sure the S type gurus will chime in with anything else needed........

car looks great btw
Thank you so much!!!!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
What, if I may ask, did the extended warranty cost?
No worries... $4000.00 all in. Got it with 77 000km...good till 140 000....1 year left....was a 3 year.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

The DCCV is the Dual Climate Control Valve. Do a search here and you'll find that sooner or later, they all fail. If you catch the failure early, the DCCV is all you need to replace. But if you do not catch the failure in time, the failed DCCV can short out the CCM (Climate Control Module)....

All S-Type owners should familiarize themselves with this issue. You should begin checking your DCCV every week when you check your fluids and tire pressures....

Old 01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

No worries... $4000.00 all in. Got it with 77 000km...good till 140 000....1 year left....was a 3 year.
If the total repairs covered by the warranty exceed $4K, then yes it was good value.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

I never purchase extended warranties. I purchase vehicles with at least six months of factory warranty remaining and then ride that warranty like a racehorse, getting every little detail resolved on the manufacturer's dime before the warranty runs out. I make certain that the dealership's service manager is sick of seeing me show up because when my warranty expires, it's my dime on the line from then on....

I also set aside a predetermined stash of cash in a money market account that will serve as my repair cost funds for that specific vehicle for the full time it is amortized to spend in our fleet. The research I did on our S-Type led me to set its repair stash at $6,000. In just over three years of ownership, I have spent right at $1,500 of that stash on repairs. The majority of that $1,500 was having to replace the HVAC compressor in May 2010. At this rate, our S-Type should be good to go for quite awhile yet. Of course, a major failure such as the ZF's torque converter crapping out could change that dynamic in a heartbeat. I knew my risk tolerance would have to be somewhat higher with an S-Type than it is with either my 1999 Dodge Ram pickup or my wife's 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD SUV. But I'm quite pleased with my S-Type plan thus far. It has truly been a great car for our needs....

Last edited by Jon89; 01-14-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
The DCCV is the Dual Climate Control Valve. Do a search here and you'll find that sooner or later, they all fail. If you catch the failure early, the DCCV is all you need to replace. But if you do not catch the failure in time, the failed DCCV can short out the CCM (Climate Control Module)....

All S-Type owners should familiarize themselves with this issue. You should begin checking your DCCV every week when you check your fluids and tire pressures....
Good afternoon. Thank you for helping me out with this...I did a search...but I have no idea how to check this? And what am I looking for?
Thank you so much once again...have a nice afternoon

Old 01-14-2012, 11:09 AM

Good afternoon. Thank you for helping me out with this...I did a search...but I have no idea how to check this? And what am I looking for?
Thank you so much once again...have a nice afternoon
Ok...I found this! But I can't find where this is under the hood!

3. Next, a thorough inspection of the Dual Climate Control Valve (DCCV). It was clean with no signs of orange coolant leaks or stains. Keep in mind that these valves can fail in two different ways - leaking externally (easy to spot) or leaking internally (difficult to spot). So just because my DCCV looks great externally does not mean that I'm out of the woods with this original part on our car. Keep checking it on a regular basis, and always monitor your HVAC system to ensure that the A/C (in cooling season) or heat (in heating season) is being delivered equally and consistently through all of your HVAC system's vents....

Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Look in the FAQs. Then read the thread diligently.

Also, good idea to get JTIS if you plan to do any work at all.