S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird headlamps phenomena

Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Weird headlamps phenomena

So I'm getting ready to repair the RH HID that failed last year right after replacement and it's a hell of a job so I'm already try to avoid it. So I've wiggle the harness plug to no avail. In so doing I had the lights on and off a few times yesterday and the car is up on jack stands anticipating the bumper fascia and headlamp removal.

So I put the cover back on and lock the car.

This morning I come out and see through the cover that the highbeams are on!
WTF?

I don't know if I may have hit the lock or unlock button by accident as I went out the door but the lights didn't flash they were on solid. I stared for about 5 seconds and then peeled the cover back to verify that they were on. So I open the car up and look at the stalk and yes it's in full off position. No key and then the lights turn off.

What's going on here? besides the hi-beams ...

Old 07-10-2017, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

They can't have been on long or
1. the power save cuts them or
2. the battery would be flat
either way they'd be off

So probably somehow the remote got nudged.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
They can't have been on long or
1. the power save cuts them or
2. the battery would be flat
either way they'd be off

So probably somehow the remote got nudged.
No, it's not a normal function that I normally see that's what I'm getting at but yes I agree they could not have been on all night. Again I've never noticed this lights on when operating the remote, yes I see the lights flash and hear a chirp but this was different.

So if I did accidentally hit unlock with the cover still on perhaps that cover being on blocked the sensor and made it think it was dark enough to put the headlamps on as an assist to entry?

That I can try to reproduce.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:25 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Have you got the four button key fob because I can turn the main beams on using the bottom left. It is quite a useful function as I do not have any lights in my garden for when I walk to the back door.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Mine's the same and I believe all STRs have that kind.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Failing multi-function switch will do it. Easy enough to change...but $240+ part.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Failing multi-function switch will do it. Easy enough to change...but $240+ part.
I already changed that a while ago but the issues back then were while the car was operating with the headlamps on and never when it was in full manual off and no key in the ignition.

I tried reproducing this yesterday at dusk and in the dark. It never flashes the headlamps just the running lights. I couldn't get it to do that again.

I can accept that I might have hit the unlock button the other day and then noticed the high beams were on but why? It had no mechanical basis as even the headlamps were in low beam position on the switch.

This seems more like a screwy systems bug.

But I'm also fixing the LH low beam HID and that's not going well at all. I did this about a year ago and the bulb failed within a couple of days.

Today I found out that some sort of srcing took place with the bulbe and the transformer and it melted both a bit. So that may have introduce something?

No blown fuse but now it's not a functioning light either with all 3 components swapped out. Maybe the harness failed? I'm going to swap the headlamp assemblies side to side next.

Gawd I hate these damn HID assemblies. I wish I could go all Halogen ...

I'll never get another car with them again.

FYI http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...al+switch,4832

I paid $106 three years ago ... they'v e gone up!

Update: Wiring harness good both sides. It turns out the new transformer didn't come with the bit wave washer so after transfering that from old to new everything works! For now ...

I'll post pictures of the damaged bulb and transformer in another thread.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-11-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Old 07-21-2017, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Red face Dumb bunny alert

Chalk this on up to owner ignorance. On the keyfob I always thought that button was strictly for panic. But ... if pressed briefly once it turns on the high beams. So I must have bumped it.

Originally Posted by Staatsof
So I'm getting ready to repair the RH HID that failed last year right after replacement and it's a hell of a job so I'm already try to avoid it. So I've wiggle the harness plug to no avail. In so doing I had the lights on and off a few times yesterday and the car is up on jack stands anticipating the bumper fascia and headlamp removal.

So I put the cover back on and lock the car.

This morning I come out and see through the cover that the highbeams are on!
WTF?

I don't know if I may have hit the lock or unlock button by accident as I went out the door but the lights didn't flash they were on solid. I stared for about 5 seconds and then peeled the cover back to verify that they were on. So I open the car up and look at the stalk and yes it's in full off position. No key and then the lights turn off.

What's going on here? besides the hi-beams ...

The following users liked this post:
Norri (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 12:55 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Don't worry about it. I also found out about this function when I hit the button in a motorway service station and I blinded the two policemen sitting in the car over side of the car park at 3 o'clock in the morning. I had a to prove that I had just bought the car tithe day before and it was an accident.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-24-2017)