S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the Fudge is going on with my headlights?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 07:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What the Fudge is going on with my headlights?!?

I had a non-functioning left headlight which was aimed downward (even with Brutal's fix) and flickering before it gave up the ghost. I picked up a pair of refurb headlights from Brutal. These are the chrome, HID, non-STR which IMO look better than the blacked out stock lights. Replaced the broken left light, tested the new one and everything good...

Combo 1: new left, old right = both lights work

I continued to replace the passenger(right)

Combo 2: New left, new right = right works, left does not,

I reconnected the old right light (combo 1) and both worked fine. Went back to the new right (combo 2) and now both lights work!
I put the bumper back together, bolted her up, started the engine, and the right light worked but the left did not. Shut it down, tested again and now both function fine.

So it would seem I have intermittent failure on the left side. checked fuse 34 in engine bay and it looks good, not sure how to test relay. Any ideas?

On a side note: what is the third small bulb in the low beam housing used for? It is in the top corner near the blinker. I just realized that both of mine were missing in the old headlights and they didn't look right when the blue xenons were on so I took them out of the new headlights.

Last edited by David SD; 02-22-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 636 Likes on 469 Posts

I had the same issue with my passenger low beam....it would come on and flicker then be good...when it finally quit, i suspected the ballast....i got a new ballast and ignitor kit...problem solved...this is hid lights i am referring to...did not have to chase wires or test the relay, so no help there to you....sorry

Old 02-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi David,
The two small bulbs missing from your headlight are the Side Lights which should illuminate with the first click on the lighting stalk in the cab. Second click should be Main (Dipped Beam) and High Beam activated/de-activated by pulling the stalk toward you.

Regarding the HID headlight that is not working. This could be a dud bulb (hopefully you did not handle it with bare hands - this can cause them to fail), or theres a problem with either or both the Ballast pack which is bolted to the rear of the headlight body or the Igniter which sits on top of the bulb inside the body. One other possibility is that the power supply wire to the Igniter has 'popped off' or has been damaged during re-assembly. This is a tricky thing to check as the only way to get at it is to take the headlight body out of the car.

If you do not have, or cannot gain access to, a multi-meter there is a test for whether a Relay is working. Locate the relevant relay and place the blade of a long screw driver to on the really body (not touching any of the electrical contacts), put your ear to the plastic handle of the screw-driver and get someone to trip the relevant switch in the cab of the car. If you hear a 'Click' the relay is working, if not its like to be dead.
Cheers,
Cubist

Old 02-23-2019, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

If you have to deal with the bumper cover again, leave the bottom bolts in that attach the cover to the undertray and pivot the cover back.....it makes plenty of room for headlight removal and is way easier to reattach.... especially when by yourself....i actually put a drop of glue on the plug in at the ignitor after verifying headlight operation for peace of mind...as cubist said, that plug has a tendency to work loose

Old 02-25-2019, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Hey that's a good tip! I have always taken the cover all the way off and there is potential for damaging paint plus it's hard to do by your self.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Hey that's a good tip! I have always taken the cover all the way off and there is potential for damaging paint plus it's hard to do by your self.
Found the method by accident....i forgot to take the bottom bolts out and pulled on the cover...it hinged perfectly and gave plenty of room...i am sure it has been done before, but it was nice that an oversight turned into a short cut