S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gearbox Fault

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 02:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gearbox Fault

Hello, I just had my 05 S-type get stuck in gear, maybe 3rd of 4th it was a higher gear. (Sliding around in the snow) the Gearbox Fault light came on and and happened to be driving by the transmission shop. I stopped in the parking lot there and shut off the car just in case I had a major issue. I restarted the car and the light was off. No codes stored or read. I just had the car in there just over a month ago and had the mechatronic seal replaced due to a small leak, and the fluid was replaced. It's still shifting weird (Hesitates) between 1st, 2nd and 3rd intermittently under heavier acceleration, sometimes will drop down a gear and stay there for a few seconds. I don't seem to have any issues with the engine its smooth and quiet. I did read the sticky on the zf transmission faults, and it seems to pointing towards the valve body / solenoids, i don't have any clunks, rattles or grinding noises coming from the gearbox.
Has this solved the problem for people with this issue? I don't think the mechanic knows much about jag transmissions, he didn't know what kind it was & he did not experience any issues on the test drive, he said it seems fine.
I would like to get this fixed before my warranty expires in April. but it only covers $2500 with a $250 deductible. Haven't even had the car for a year yet, cant afford to take it to the local JAG dealer. I used to work there years ago and I know how much they charge for Labor/Parts and its too cold to work on it myself right now.
It has 95,000 miles it also.
Correct me if i'm wrong but this is the ZF 6HP26 ?

http://www.bmwlogicseven.com/?p=3738

if i give him this, do you think it would help the mechanic diagnose my issue? Its a transmission shop mainly.
Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:51 PM

finally got a code P0782, replying to myself apparently. 2-3 shift malfunction

Old 02-16-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 405 Posts

Make sure of the fluid level using the jaguar/zf procedure...it is easier than you think....i would also verify the type of fluid used when the repair was done...either of these being wrong can cause problems....if they are ok then proceed further with internal diagnostics at a shop that is familiar with the zf transmission

The following users liked this post:
ForwardJag (02-17-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

All of the above is good advice. If the proper ATF was used and the fill level is correct, then a logical next step would be to get the transmission adaptations reset and a proper drive cycle performed. Ideally, this requires dealer level diagnostics, the JLR - IDS/SDD program; Many independent transmission shops are not equipped with this level of diagnostic equipment as it is rather specialized and the drive-cycle is a two tech job.

ForwardJag (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner
All of the above is good advice. If the proper ATF was used and the fill level is correct, then a logical next step would be to get the transmission adaptations reset and a proper drive cycle performed. Ideally, this requires dealer level diagnostics, the JLR - IDS/SDD program; Many independent transmission shops are not equipped with this level of diagnostic equipment as it is rather specialized and the drive-cycle is a two tech job.

Thanks, that was going to be my plan of action, I did find the adaption TSB after doing a lot more research the past few days.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by S-Type Owner

This is the TSB I found...

Attached Files
Old 02-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 606 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by ForwardJag
This is the TSB I found...
Yes, that is the one. Good luck getting your transmission sorted...

ForwardJag (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:52 AM
Default Follow Up

Took my car into the Jaguar Dealer, They performed a diagnosis on my car, reset any codes and checked the Transmission Fluid level (which was good). The Jaguar service advisor mentioned that the computer in the s-type is kind of slow and if there was a software update it might lock up the TCM and i would need to get a new one,so I was very pretty about that. Fortunately there was no update, it was just a reset and then the mechanic took if for a 5 mile test drive, can't tell you what was done on the test drive because I don't know, I wasn't there and I didn't get to talk to the mechanic.
So far so good! no hesitation between 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, or thumps going into 3rd, it has not got stuck in gear and It does seem like the shifts are much quicker.
Not sure if this a big deal or not but it has been snowing the last 2 days, so I'm not sure how that will affect it adapting to my "driving style" almost impossible to not get some wheel spin even with newer tires,
hopefully all we be good. Just trying to take it easy, for about 200 miles , I usually take it easy anyway.
Hoping this will be a fix for a long time! we'll see.

Just wanted to thank everyone in my threads about my problem and pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate it.

kr98664 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The Jaguar service advisor mentioned that the computer in the s-type is kind of slow
He's made that up. (It's plenty fast enough for your car.)

and if there was a software update it might lock up the TCM and i would need to get a new one
Also that.

Let's hope all is actually OK.

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
ForwardJag (02-28-2019), kr98664 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=JagV8;2033145]He's made that up. (It's plenty fast enough for your car.)

Yeah, for sure. It's not like the're uploading windows 10 into it.