Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,490 Likes on 3,907 Posts

Originally Posted by alexsneesby
Just food for thought. You can never change your oil too often.
Not true, because after each change you start the engine and it's starved of oil for a while.

It's not the lack of very frequent oil changes that kills the S-Type engines.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, oil and oil filter change is easy on the S type with the drain plug and filter being reasonably accessible unlike many other cars where the design engineer make it almost impossible!!

I tend to change both twice a year using a good quality 5W/30 Synthetic oil and genuine Jaguar oil filters which are remarkably cheap here in the UK

Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Guys I need your opinions on this K&N oil filter. Some people who are very **** about only using OEM parts will not like this but the reviews I read so far on these K&N oil filter are excellent. Main advantage is that its dam easy to remove with a 1" wrench and autopartsdealer.com are selling them at a discount of $8.67, just check it out and read the overview of it and get let me know what you think????

link

http://www.autopartsdealer.com/kampn...p385883-p.html

Old 07-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I used the K/N filter and found it to be good. Now, a NAPA Gold filter sits in its place with Amsoil 0-30. So far, so good.

No problems.

Instead of going by mileage, I check the color of the oil. When it turns a medium brown, I change it.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FloridaJag
I used the K/N filter and found it to be good. Now, a NAPA Gold filter sits in its place with Amsoil 0-30. So far, so good.

No problems.

Instead of going by mileage, I check the color of the oil. When it turns a medium brown, I change it.
..Hey FloridaJag thanks for the input, do you use also the K/N air filter also?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jag79
..Hey FloridaJag thanks for the input, do you use also the K/N air filter also?
Sorry for the grammatical errors, what I wanted to ask was do you use the K/N air filter in your STR and have you noticed any difference in the compression?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

No problems.

With the 0w30 did you noticed any improvement in your gas milage? Heard that using 0w30 helps in fuel economy so stated.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5/30 or Castrol full synthetic 5/30 and change my oil every 5,000 miles with new filter. In the 6-years I have been driving the 2 Jags I own, never had any engine issues. Both Kitty's purr and run just fine.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry for the grammatical errors, what I wanted to ask was do you use the K/N air filter in your STR and have you noticed any difference in the compression?
This has been covered countless times. Read the old threads rather than asking yet again. You wil NOT get any difference in air flow (let alone compression!!) but you MAY ruin your MAF and then your cats and engine.

If you want more performance then read the threads about that as there is a ton of helpful advice in there. You need quite a lot of $$$, it cannot be done on the cheap on these already high-performance cars.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
Not true, because after each change you start the engine and it's starved of oil for a while.

It's not the lack of very frequent oil changes that kills the S-Type engines.
Well this is true, but you can always prime the filters. Im a diesel mechanic and for the semi's we prime the filters (because they are so big) and they often take 3-4 quarts themselves, but it prevents a dry start. But in cars they build oil pressure almost immediately so it really wont cause any harm.

Out of curiosity what is the usual killer of the S-Type engines?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 2,256 Likes on 1,841 Posts

That's what I've been wondering. Without a common lubrication-related failure pattern, I'm always surprised at posts that claim Brand X is better than Brand Y.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Over here it appears to be scrapping them due to a repair that's (perceived to be / is) uneconomic. (Crash, MoT - our I/M - etc.) The repair will only sometimes be engine-related but I don't know if anyone even collects data.

Maybe a tech will comment, though they probably don't see most of the scrapped cars.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 PM

Jag 79

I do have a K/N air filter. I just put it in the car about 2 months ago. To tell you the truth, I don't notice a huge difference, but I like them pretty well. I have 20 years with them, so I know not to overoil them when it comes time to clean them. That's key with the Jag, as it will screw with the mass airflow sensors and whatnot.

I notice the biggest difference when I open the throttle up. It growls a little louder.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Veteran Member
Default Please help...........

Hey guys is it normal for the brake light to be on after starting my car? For instance after my car is starting I see the brake light icon on my dash. When I put it into "D" drive it goes away. is this normal for all S type R jags? I can see I have less than half an inch of pad left for my brakes, could this be the warning sign? lolz..... Anyone have any suggestions on what brand brake pads I should use to replace my front worn pads with on my 03' S type R Are EBC's any good the red color ones???

Thanks all!!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 AM

Hey guys is it normal for the brake light to be on after starting my car? For instance after my car is starting I see the brake light icon on my dash. When I put it into "D" drive it goes away. is this normal for all S type R jags? I can see I have less than half an inch of pad left for my brakes, could this be the warning sign? lolz..... Anyone have any suggestions on what brand brake pads I should use to replace my front worn pads with on my 03' S type R Are EBC's any good the red color ones???

Thanks all!!

I sometimes get that on my car --- the brake light. My brake fluid level is normal. Unless your fluid is low or the light comes on during driving, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

On the subject of pads. I put Akebono ceramics on my front rotors. They are quiet and give off no dust. They cost a little more, but are built in the USA. Others are made in China or some other country. They are the best pads I have ever owned. Pads on the S-type are incredibly easy to install.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always prime my oil filters too to reduce any wear as you fire it up after an oil and filter change. I fill the filter to the brim and allow it to soak in for a few minutes then top it up as necessary.

On the 3 litre engine it is easy with no spillage as the filter is held horizontally when you screw it in.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

I sometimes get that on my car --- the brake light. My brake fluid level is normal. Unless your fluid is low or the light comes on during driving, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

On the subject of pads. I put Akebono ceramics on my front rotors. They are quiet and give off no dust. They cost a little more, but are built in the USA. Others are made in China or some other country. They are the best pads I have ever owned. Pads on the S-type are incredibly easy to install.
...Thank you soo much FloridaJag for replying back to me about the brake light(!) sign on the dash. Thats a relief it doesn't come while driving thats for sure. But about getting those "Akebono" ceramic pads, you have a source where I can get them from? I'm going to look into it even though I will do a google search, but thanks again amigo!
I finalized the deal just day before to purchase this 03' STR, drove it from TX to FL with my dad , It was well worth the 1200 plus miles! Only problems so far it has is the Brake Pads and its missing the "Jaguar Embem" , I searched around ebay they are going for $50 or so for the Jag emblem on the hood. See if I can get it cheaper thru LKQ.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks all!!
The STR has an electric parking brake so when you are in park it puts it on. Once you shift out of park it automatically disengages it. Put your car in D and push down on the parking brake if thats the same light you are good. Pull it back to disengage and know that all systems are good. Its just a safety thing Jag has with the electric parking brake.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vance580
The STR has an electric parking brake so when you are in park it puts it on. Once you shift out of park it automatically disengages it. Put your car in D and push down on the parking brake if thats the same light you are good. Pull it back to disengage and know that all systems are good. Its just a safety thing Jag has with the electric parking brake.
....thanks for the update mate. I guess I was just paranoid b/c I just got this car the same day when I asked that question. Yeah when I start up the Jag the BRake light w/the (!) is on. But when I press the brake pedal and put it into "D" it goes away and never comes back on. So yeah your right is a saftey thing, phewww what a relief!

Please help.... I'm having the Projector light problem though from the front headlights. . At night my projector lights are facing too much down(need to raise it), I think the auto adjuster motors are broken. Does anyone have the same problem?? Can I adjust it manually? The *******s said If it is the motors, I need to replace the whole headlights both sides, I'm like WTF!!!!! It was soo hard for me drive at night when I was coming back from TX to FL (19hrs) from picking up my 03' STR from there after buying it.

Last question is the "S" mode, How can I tell if its working and on? I just see the illuminated light where the "S" button is when its on, but is there anything else indicating the "S" mode is activated?
Thanx for the help and to others.

Last edited by jag79; 07-29-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I had my changed, they say good for 5k, and the dealer for full syn (their standard was not full and some dealers ask for you to bring full syn in) for $135.00 (ouch). I had just purchased it and wanted to make sure it was done correctly.

Quick Reply: What kind of oil do you use?