Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Blade Refill Guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Thanks Jon.

I just got the Napa ones and they're identical to the OEM. $10 for the pair.
It's 11 degrees F here today so my timing is perfect ...

I just removed the blades and did the exchange in my house.

I also took note of the blade (not refills) numbers

Trico blade # 216705 drivers side
# 216705 passenger side This makes no sense but that's what it said???

A little silicone grease on the hose nipples makes it slide back on nicely in this weather.

Bob S.

Originally Posted by Jon89
Had our S-Type's annual inspection done yesterday so I can go ahead and renew the license plate sticker for 2010. Had to replace the wiper blade inserts, remembered several posts about folks having a tough time finding blades that will fit the factory arms (only Trico narrow blades made to fit a 6 mm claw width will fit properly), and with winter now here I decided to post some wiper blade info to help out those who also need new blade refills. I have found the correct blade refills at NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, and Carquest Auto Parts. Here are the details:

NAPA part numbers are 60-2401 for the drivers side and 60-1900 for the passenger side.

Advance part numbers are 45245 for the drivers side and 45190 for the passenger side.

Carquest part numbers are 455245 for the drivers side and 455190 for the passenger side.

I believe these are for 2003-and-newer S-Types. The drivers side blade refill is 24" long and the passenger side blade refill is 19" long.

Costs in my neck of the woods run about $6 for the drivers side blade refill and about $5 for the passenger side blade refill. If you go to the dealership for these blade refills, you'll probably pay more than $15 each for the same product....

Old 02-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Glad the NAPA inserts worked for you, Bob. While I find them to be decent (and certainly inexpensive), I would much prefer a set of PIAA refills. The PIAA refills are the best I've ever found and last several years in our neck of the woods. I still plan to talk with PIAA in an effort to get to the bottom of why they apparently fed me incorrect Jaguar U.S drivers side refill info when I spoke with them last year. With a hundred other things going on with us right now, I just haven't taken the time to do this yet. If I can get updated, trustworthy, correct info from PIAA on our drivers side refill, I'll post it here....

Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds good. I just couldn't deal with the PITA that PIAA looked to be today. I needed new wiper blades NOW! These look pretty flimsy so I expect they'll tear again soon. I need to RAINX my windshield again. That certain helps. The RAINX cleaner in the tank also helps.

Bob S.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2004 S Type

So If I am reading correctly my 2004 V6 can just use the regular replacement arms that I can get locally, as my washer spray comes from the hood, and I should be buying 24" drivers and 19" passenger? I checked a few online guides and one place said 22" for both sides for the 04??

I probably wont mess around changing just the blades and just change the whole thing.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by davo0705
So If I am reading correctly my 2004 V6 can just use the regular replacement arms that I can get locally, as my washer spray comes from the hood, and I should be buying 24" drivers and 19" passenger? I checked a few online guides and one place said 22" for both sides for the 04??

I probably wont mess around changing just the blades and just change the whole thing.
I assume you mean you won't mess with changing the rubber and just change the whole blade....

Yes.. Regular 'ol wiper blades fit the '04. Best bet would be to measure the blades on there. I too have read the spec that the pre 05's use 22" on both sides...

I'm a huge fan of the newer style solid blades that are out there... Since it seems that everywhere lately is now subject to harsh winter weather (Our warehouse in ElPaso was experiencing 8 degree temperatures..In the desert!). Don't buy the "cheap" store brand of them though.. Put a set of "Duralast" solid wipers on the van this year.. They suck! The best I've used are the Bosch Icon blades. The set on the van lasted years! Just put a set on the 300 the day after I got it! They should just clip on for you since you don't have the washer nozzle attached to the wiper.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-03-2015)
Old 02-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

These are the best wipers for your Jag; "MICHELIN Stealth Hybrid Wiper Blade", It replaces the OEM metal brackets, much cheaper than the OEM's, and of course a lot better.
link
http://www.pylonhq.com/products_mich..._details.shtml

Pics: http://www.pylonhq.com/stealth_pr_us_gallery.php

Sizes:
DRiver: 24
Passenger: 19

Last edited by jag79; 02-10-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by jag79
These are the best wipers for your Jag; "MICHELIN Stealth Hybrid Wiper Blade", It replaces the OEM metal brackets, much cheaper than the OEM's, and of course a lot better.
link

Sizes:
So, Jag79, I guess from your post that the 03 and 04 use the same 24" driver and 19" passenger size as the 05 and up cars? Then the 22" on both sides must be from 00 to 02??? Just guessing.
Funny thing is the Michelin blades are one of the brands I tried to get to fit on my 05. So, needless to say, I haven't actually used them. They seem to be well made....But I would question the "best" claim.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Default What about high speed driving?

The only potenial issue I see here is that there's no deflector built into the blades like the originals that help keep the blades firmly planted to the windshield once you're over 120 mph? So you could get quite a bit of blade flutter & float as you move even faster down the road. That means a de-mist or wash of the windscreen at 145MPH is going to be a bit tough.

Rain-X is great over 70 mph but sometimes you DO simply need to use the wipers and this is going to really cramp my style on all those high speed runs in Nevada this spring. I just hate pulling over to stop for a windshiled wipe ...

link

Sizes:

Old 02-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
The only potenial issue I see here is that there's no deflector built into the blades like the originals that help keep the blades firmly planted to the windshield once you're over 120 mph? So you could get quite a bit of blade flutter & float as you move even faster down the road. That means a de-mist or wash of the windscreen at 145MPH is going to be a bit tough.

Rain-X is great over 70 mph but sometimes you DO simply need to use the wipers and this is going to really cramp my style on all those high speed runs in Nevada this spring. I just hate pulling over to stop for a windshiled wipe ...
Yea, but the other real issue vs. potential... They won't fit your car... Since you are one of the blessed with washers built into the mounting clip....Yea for you!

Oh, BTW, those UK blades never lifted at speeds that are higher than I'd openly admit...

Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Oh, BTW, those UK blades never lifted at speeds that are higher than I'd openly admit...
We were strickly talking video games right? At least I was ...

Old 02-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member

The Michelin wipers work superbly on my 03' STR. I went up to 125mph and not one bit of flicker. They stick to your windshield like glue. I dunno why they don't work good on the 05's but if you going to compare these to the OEM's, I would take the Michelins hands down. The metal bracket is a pain actually, what if your rubber wears off, you would be scratching your windshield with the metal deflector on.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

So, Jag79, I guess from your post that the 03 and 04 use the same 24" driver and 19" passenger size as the 05 and up cars? Then the 22" on both sides must be from 00 to 02??? Just guessing.
Funny thing is the Michelin blades are one of the brands I tried to get to fit on my 05. So, needless to say, I haven't actually used them. They seem to be well made....But I would question the "best" claim.
Yes the 24' for drivers side and 19" for Passenger side. By using both the OEM, and the MIchelins. I would recommend "BEST" Michelins over the (Standard) OEM Jag blades Since I tried both, its totally my opinion and observation that the Michelins are the Best if comparing to the OEm blades; don't hold it against me for it

Old 02-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Veteran member

Yes the 24' for drivers side and 19" for Passenger side. By using both the OEM, and the MIchelins. I would recommend "BEST" Michelins over the (Standard) OEM Jag blades Since I tried both, its totally my opinion and observation that the Michelins are the Best if comparing to the OEm blades; don't hold it against me for it
I won't... I'm really not that critical of other people's choices..
Good to know that the 03 and 04 have the two different sizes..

My only suggestion...When the blades you have wear out, try the Bosch Icon blades, you will be shocked!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:00 AM
Veteran member

We were strickly talking video games right? At least I was ...
LOL.. From what I've gathered from you Bob, I know you weren't "reckless" enough to be doing 140 in the rain, on a public street...

Same for me.... I will admit now that the speed I was referring to is about 80... Awful fast for wet roads....And I'm sure someone will beat me for it..

Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 AM
Veteran member

I dunno why they don't work good on the 05's
Very simple... In 2005 Jaguar eliminated the hood mounted washer nozzles. The washers are built into the plastic clip that the hooked wiper arm attaches to. There are no blades other than the OEM Trico metal frame blade that these plastic clips will fit. That leaves 05 and up owners with very few choices. They are:
1) Stick with OEM Blades
2) Somehow find a rubber refill that will fit (seems difficult to get high quality, based on this thread)
3) Buy an aftermarket nozzle that attaches to the arm and eliminate the clip (JoycesJag mentioned that one)
4) Buy solid flex blades with integrated washers (what I did, but only available from the UK or Europe)

Last edited by JOsworth; 02-13-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Added content based on Bob's feedback...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

2) Somehow find a rubber refill that will fit (seems difficult based on this thread)
The NAPA ones are not difficult at all. Perfect fit as in identical. Cheap too.

But ... there's nothing remarkable about them either. They tear quite easily. Looks like a once a year item. Keeping the RainX on the windshield should help out too.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

... is a pain actually, what if your rubber wears off, you would be scratching your windshield with the metal deflector on.

...and that may be the least of your problems!

actually...if that happens, I'd say you are Waaay too worried about "her"......

Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ_Kuehn
Sorry for my first post being a thread Necro, but I've been messing with this wiper blade refill issue for a month now. Much of the above info is wrong.

The above mentioned PIAA blade refill for the driver's side 94060 is NOT CORRECT. This is an 8mm wide blade part number. The passenger side part number is correct. I can not find a 24" long 6mm PIAA blade. I just special ordered these blades from Amazon, and now I'm stuck with a useless part ($8 blade and $5-6 shipping to return it).

Also, in the OP, same thing with the Advance Auto Parts part number. That is a 22" blade and will not fit on my 2005 S-Type (need 24") and Advance does not carry any 24" blades at 6mm.

NAPA's 602401 part number is valid on their website at $5, and the "24" in the part number suggests the proper length, but the product description does not say the specific length. I'm going try there later this week and hope that they have the right part. I'll repost here again if that part number also doesn't work.

Hopefully this will save some others who stumble across this thread some time.

What a headache all over wiper blades. DJ_Kuehn is correct and the PIAA 94060 is INCORRECT (8mm) for the drivers side but the PIAA 94048 is CORRECT (6mm) for the passenger side!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Update:

I installed a new set of NAPA wiper blade refills on our 2005 S-Type today in preparation for the vehicle's annual North Carolina Safety Inspection next week. The passenger-side refill's part number has been superceded since the last time I installed a new set of refills a couple of years ago. Here are NAPA's current correctly-fitting refill part numbers:

Driver-side 24-inch / 6mm claw-width wiper blade refill: 60-2401.

Passenger-side 19-inch / 6mm claw-width wiper blade refill: 60-1998.

It appears that they are now made by different companies because the packaging is very different and the product design is slightly different between the driver-side refill and the passenger-side refill. Both refills slid perfectly into the factory wiper arms and snapped securely into place....

I know these fit the 2005 to 2008 S-Types. For 2004 and earlier, check with NAPA before you purchase a set. Keep in mind how difficult it has been for some forum members here to find a refill set that actually fits the factory wiper arms. Even though the store's application guide claims it fits, it may not....

My local NAPA did not have either refill in stock when I phoned them to check on their blade refill inventory. NAPA ordered them for me and had them in stock by the next morning. Total cost was still just a bit over $10 for the set....

Happy motoring with clear windshield visibility....

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-03-2015)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Jon,

According to their website, NAPA wasn't stocking either in any of their local stores. I called the Haltom City NAPA and inquired how long til he could have a 60-2401?
"That number's been replaced by 60-2499, I got 2"
"Really? Is that 24" X 6mm width?"
"24" by six point (unintelligible)"
"Got any 60-1998?"
"Sorry"
OK, I'll come by this afternoon and get the 60-2499 from you."
When I got there, he said he ordered the 60-1998 if I wanted?
"Lessee...I could drop by next week...when do you think you'll get them?"
"Oh, they're here now." (had a PIAA on the pax side, not really in need of replacement but inasmuch as he had 'em on-hand..) "Ok, they in pairs? or singles?"
"Singles"
"Gimme one ea."
when he emerged from the back again, each pkg contained 2 refill blades.

I put one of the 60-2499's on the wife's 05 and it fit...but it sure was tight. Wasn't easy.

Quick Reply: Wiper Blade Refill Guide