S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would these headlights work on my STR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 08:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Would these headlights work on my STR?

I have been needing to replace the driver side headlight on my STR, the bulb has gone out (was flickering for a few days then finally went and the light was now almost facing straight down, even with the brutal fix). I picked this up on ebay assuming (whoops) that it was a xenon from a 2003 s type and would be compatible with my 2003 STR with HID. Are there any experienced members that can enlighten me if this would work on my vehicle? Many thanks.

Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-08-JAGUA...cSziV#viTabs_0

Old 01-30-2019, 12:55 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi David,

Seems you have the very common Droopy Headlight problem, its common to many makes that uses self-levelling systems as the component ultimately wear out. First check out your headlights to make sure they are Xenon - if the existing light is Jaguar OEM there will be a sticker on top of the unit confirming this. Check also that you have the Projector headlamps like the one in the eBay listing. If you do then the headlamp you're looking at on eBay will fit.

BUT - do you really want to spend $240 dollars when you could get away with spending a lot less? I spent much less than this to do this job and the method is largely the same to what you are proposing.

I had exactly the same problem with my S Type a couple of months back and I have attached my explanation of how to fix it and the pitfalls you can face. The self levelling components are easy to install once the headlight unit is open and cost about $25 but you need to make sure that you get the kit for Xenon headlamps - they are different to the Halogen ones. Check out the attachment below and if you feel you want to try this approach and save a lot PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Cubist

Attached Files
Old 01-30-2019, 02:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those instructions are excellent. I am not allowed to do mechanics where I currently live and while I thought about going to a friend's house and doing it in his driveway, I feel like the oven part might be a bit much.

I see now that the link I posted wasn't the right headlight. I am looking at these currently : https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-06...!-1:rk:92:pf:0

I also sent a PM to brutal asking his thoughts and checking to see if he had one for sale.

I asked the local independent how much they would charge to put in a new headlight (one which I supply) and they quoted me $250 for the labor. I may just ask to borrow a friends driveway after all, yeesh.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:05 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi David,
Happy to have been of some help and sorry to hear that it may be difficult for you to do the work yourself without a friend to loan some space. Given the difficulties I faced with completely corroded speed fasteners it took me about 15 hours to get the job done, it would have been less than half of this had they been in good condition, I would strongly advise that you first check to see if the various steel bolts on the belly pan, front splash shield and inner wheel arch splash guards can be unfastened. Hopefully the California weather will have prevented the corrosion problem for you.
Cheers,
Steve

Old 01-31-2019, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,234 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Those are NOT the correct lights for an STR!!

Note I have posted this before but the STR has black plastic inside the headlight and not chrome as ALL the other S types do.
So yes it will fit and work but won't match your other light. Take a look to see what I am talking about.

What you need to look for are these;

STR Head Light

Most if not all people don't know this including Ebay sellers. So I was able to find the STR light but it was just labeled as being for an S Type. Maybe there is no price difference any more but I had a hard time finding a good STR light.

Now I have posted this before too but unless your headlight is just destroyed (housing crushed) you will be far better off rebuilding your existing headlight. It's not very expensive and anyone can DIY this at home. By buying a used headlight I will guarantee that if it's not broken now, it will be after you drive around some! Then you will be back where you are now but with less money.

We now have proper metal parts to replace the crappy factory plastic ball and socket that turn brittle and break with age.
We have several in depth repair threads with pictures to help you if needed.