S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zf6hp26 transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Zf6hp26 transmission fluid change

Anyone ever tried changing out the fluid in a ZF6HP26 automatic transmission through the transmission cooler lines? I think that's the way the transmissions are normally "flushed" but I don't need to flush; just need to change out all the fluid, including what's in the torque converter. Wondering if one put 8-10 quarts of fresh fluid in a pump sprayer and pumped it up with the output clamped off and with the sprayer line hooked to the cooler return line to the transmission and then ran the transmission output line (cooler input) to a bucket if one couldn't pump up the sprayer to force fresh fluid into the intake (flooded suction) and just start the engine at idle and let the transmission pump fresh fluid through until it runs out clear/clean from the cooler line? Then reconnect the cooler hose to the transmission cooler and top off the tranny following the prescribed warm up and overflow procedure? Would probably need to open the fill port and let it overflow to a catch basin to prevent putting in too much fluid. With earlier transmissions that had a dipstick/filler tube, one could pour fresh fluid into the filler tube while letting the transmission pump the old fluid into a bucket from the cooler line until the fluid ran clean and then button up the system and top it off. Can't do this with no dipstick/filler tube on these newer trannys.

Any thoughts or cautions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I created this thread a couple of weeks ago:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...estions-60916/

Some of the issues are, I haven't seen anyone post that they used a machine to do the swap...The Jag dealer will let it drain vs using a machine...You need to put in the same exact amount of fluid that comes out; although the Jag dealer adds an additional half liter...Now may be the time to add the zf friction modifer which is under $45 shipped from Nelley Jag who is a forum sponser...

Last edited by Bacardi 151; 10-04-2011 at 07:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
comikey (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Sorry if I duplicated your thread on this matter. My thought was to leave the fill port on the side of the tranny open and let it overflow to a catch pan as I was pumping in fresh fluid to the input to the cooler from a pump sprayer, while letting the old fluid purge into a bucket from the hose disconnected from the cooler. Only need to disconnect one hose at the cooler and then figure out which way the fluid is flowing. My local Ford dealer has the capability to change out Mercon SP fluid on the ZF6HP26 transmissions in the Lincoln's with their flush and fill machine, but wouldn't do it for me out of liability concerns for putting Mercon SP into a Jag application as they don't deal with the ZF fluid (not so sure they're not the same or equivalent??). So, I was going to drain mine and replace the pan/filter assembly; fill the pan with Mercon SP and then break into the cooler line and do a complete fluid change to Mercon SP to get the Mercon SP/ZF fluid mix out that an independent tranny shop put in it after changing out the torque converter for a reman unit. The replaced TC fixed my previous surging problem (slipping converter clutch) but now I'm experiencing a jutter/shudder in the 50-70mph range that may be due to the tranny shop having mixed the fluids. Still trying to validate that they actually put Mercon SP in it versus something else like Mercon V or LV. Same old problem with any shop - if you don't stand over them and watch what they're doing, you never know what shortcuts are being taken.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Suggestion: put this on one of the existing threads or ask a moderator to that.

There are a couple of them with a lot of good information.

comikey (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,766 Posts

Just so everyone knows this. The special ZF additive for transmission noise is officially dead and gone. Brutal alerted me to this as I am getting things together for a tranny fluid change. I looked everywhere but Jaguar has even released a bulletin stating the fluid is obsolete.
So no point in looking for it.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
Bacardi 151 (10-04-2011), comikey (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm new on the forum so not familiar with how the moderator process works?? I did find out additional information from my tranny shop that did my torque converter transplant - they went to the local Ford dealer to get Mercon SP for the refill and the dealership said they no longer have SP and sold them LV as a replacement. I also found a thread on an RV forum where someone had gone to their Ford dealer go get SP and was told it had been replaced by LV, so maybe true? So my tranny and converter now have a 50:50 mix of LG6 and Mercon LV in it. I located a local shop that has the Mercon SP in stock and will quote changing out the pan/filter and sleeve and then do a fluid change using a flush-and-fill unit to purge out the old fluid and replace it with 100% Mercon SP through the transmission cooler lines - change only, no solvent flush. I think the "jutter" problem I'm experiencing after the converter was replaced is probably due to the tranny having 50% Mercon LV in it as they put in almost 4 quarts for the refill. We'll see. If not, the next path probably involves having Jag attach the scan tool to see if the converter clutch lockup circuit is working properly - more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The transmission/converter problems didn't set any fault codes but the converter replacement eliminated the previous surging problem and now I have the jutter/shudder problem between 50-70mph that I'm hoping is related to the incorrect fluid issue.

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

clubairth1,

Why would the ZF fluid additive be classified as obsolete if it has been proven to stop the ZF "bark" noises during upshifts? A number of owners here on this forum have used it during the past year or so and reported that it fixed their problem. So what's obsolete about it?

Old 10-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
clubairth1,

Why would the ZF fluid additive be classified as obsolete if it has been proven to stop the ZF "bark" noises during upshifts? A number of owners here on this forum have used it during the past year or so and reported that it fixed their problem. So what's obsolete about it?
That's what I want to know...Also, if you go into the dealer for the "bark" is their even a solution they offer?

Old 10-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Causes cancer in lab rats in California?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member

No substitute was listed. Just no longer available. Try to find some I could use a Liter!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The newer ZF LG6 fluid has all the additives that are needed. (Jaguar part number C2C8432)

The fluid change is supposed to cure the 'squeak noise during acceleration'.

This is the only fluid I use.

bob gauff

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Bacardi 151 (10-15-2011), jag79 (10-06-2011), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 PM

Sourced Mercon SP from Ryder Fleet Service for $6/qt X 12 + $8 shipping; pan screws ($1.86ea X 21) and mechatronic sealing sleeve ($15.48) +$10 shipping from CA Tranny Supply Co; and aftermarket pan/filter with gasket ($86 + $15 shipping) from WIT Transmission ($102 on line but $86 if you call). Have a local shop lined up to flush out all the old fluid with their flush and fill machine through the cooler hose. Sure hope this solves my jutter problem after having had the torque converter replaced. TC transplant stopped the surging but tranny shop refilled it with Mercon LV after Ford dealership sold it to them as a substitute for SP so it all has to go, including what's in the torque converter and the flush machine is the only way I know of to get it completely purged. I think we'll put fresh fluid in through the cooler with the fill plug open in case it has to overflow and with the engine idling; let the trans pump purge out the old fluid through the disconnected cooler hose; shift it through the gears with the old pan in place and then pull the pan, swap out the mechatronic sleeve and then install the new pan with new bolts and refill the pan with new fluid and go through the temp expansion and overflow procedure prior to capping the new pan. Wish me luck!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry if I'm late in chiming in to give a helping hand to fellOw s type owners who are looking for help in doing transmission fluid change etc, well those who know me on this forum know how much effort I put into finding a reliable and cost effective package for the tranny maintenance; If you haven't already here's the link to it, theres a ton of useful info on there. Good luck.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=44570

Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Forgot to mention. the oem life guard 6 tranny fluid has the additive already mixed in it; hence that's one of reasons itsmore expensive than other tranny fliudsout on the market.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:40 PM

Had the pan, bolts and sleeve changed out and the fluid flushed and completely changed out for Mercon-SP and my jutter between 50-70 mph is still present with the recently installed reman torque converter. Am really frustrated at this point that this drive train problem seems to have a life of its own. Transmission drives and shifts well but driving along in the 55-70mph range in steady cruise mode, it intermittenly shudders/vibrates as if driving on a washboard road. Not sure if I should suspect the reman converter at this point since its installation eliminated the surging problem (was told it was clutch slippage) I had originally or if the next step is to have the Jag dealer put the scan tool on it to see if the lockup circuit is working properly. TC remanufacturer claims they rebuild the clutches to ZF specs using the same clutch materials in the OEM units. Very frustrating for a vehicle that only has 38,000 miles on it and is, otherwise, in pristine condition. Sure did not expect this level of problems with such a low mileage vehicle or from the Jaguar and ZF brands! Doubly frustrating that no one seems to be able to properly diagnose why this thing is acting up the way it is. Crap!

Old 10-15-2011, 02:26 PM

On-line Jaguar tech thinks use of the Mercon-SP is what's causing my jutter problem at 50-70mph and recommends I have it reflushed and changed back over to 100% ZF LG6. Now, I know there are others out there that have done their own fluid changes where they remove and replace the pan and refill with Mercon-SP, which would then become mixed with the LG6 in the converter as you can't drain the converter. I had mine flushed through the cooler lines to get all the old LG6/Mercon-LV (that the tranny shop mistakenly refilled with after my converter swap on recommendation of the local Ford dealer because the SP wasn't available from Ford) out and replaced with 100% Mercon-SP. Anyone else out there experienced "jutter"/vibration after refilling or having a ZF6HP26 transmission flushed with Mercon-SP? I'm told Lincoln uses this same transmission in the LS and that they use the Mercon-SP in it. The tranny shop that replaced my torque converter seems to think there might be something going on with the Mechatronic lockup circuit and thinks my next step is to have the Jag dealer run the scan tool on the tranny to validate the lockup functions. Other than the jutter at 50-70mph on slow speed up or steady cruising, the transmission is shifting and operating fine under normal and aggressive acceleration. Shifts are crisp and there's no hint of any slippage. I had the pan replaced and the old one was very clean inside. This is baffling and getting more expensive with each go-round ($1400 and climbing)??????????? Any comments from those with direct experience with Mercon-SP would be greatly appreciated. I'm up for swapping back over to the LG6 if there's strong testimony to support that recommendation - Thanks!!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

The Lincoln LS never got the ZF 6 speed. It has the Ford 5 speed that was in the early 1999-2002 S Types. The Ford Navigator 2005-2008 did have the ZF 6 speed. It also had a steel pan which has been of some interest to people here on the list.

comikey (10-16-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Must be very few if any on here who've used Mercon-SP with an S-Type. I've seen a few other oils but Mercon-SP in an S-Type's ZF?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Jaguar issued several software upgrade over the years. The TCM might need to be reconfigured with later software.

I had a forum members 2003 S-Type in my shop for a leaking pan gasket and low fluid fault. When I installed the new pan and topped up the gearbox it shifted 'HARD'. The TCM had learned 'bad habits' from the low fluid level so I had to 'CLEAR ADAPTATIONS' and reconfigure the TCM.

I have WDS ver43 so that is what I configured the ECM and TCM with to bring it up to 2006 level.

There might be later software available??

You might just need to get newer software!!

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
comikey (10-18-2011), jjd247247 (02-25-2015), XJRay (07-15-2020)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:37 PM

Jaguar XK8 Transmission Fluid/Pan Change - YouTube Guy on YouTube changed the fluid in his XK8 and refilled with Mercon SP but don't know the outcome?? Presume he'd have a mix of SP and LG6 since he didn't drain or flush the converter. Guess I'll pop for having the Mercon-SP drained and the transmisson flushed again with a complete LG6 replacement and see what happens. I tried the SP and still have jutter in the 50-70mph range and the on-line jag tech I've been consulting thinks the SP could still be the problem with my recently installed torque converter juttering. No longer surging so it's either the fluid or I got a bad reman unit???? It seems to shift well through all the gears under normal or hard acceleration but at steady cruise or slow speed up in the 50-70mph range, I still get the intermittent jutter/vibration I was getting after the trans shop that did my TC replacement topped the tranny off with Mercon LV after the Ford dealer told them they weren't selling SP any longer and recommended LV as the replacement. Have driven the car very little through this trial and error period as I don't want to end up damaging the transmission. Jag tech says there are differences in the Mechatronics across different vehicles that use the ZF6HP26 transmission and that the Mechatronic in the Jag version doesn't like any fluid other than LG6?????

Quick Reply: Zf6hp26 transmission fluid change