Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 08:09 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts
Arrow Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type

Hi there

OK Wortec have come up with a solution for those of us who have the steel/iron super braking system on our F-Types:
380mm front (18kg / 38-40lbs per disc stock)
376mm rear (15kg / 33lbs per disc stock).

The ceramic braking system offered on the F-Type saves 46lbs of unsprung mass, Wortec gets very close to these savings with their 2PC disc, in fact they exceed them:

380mm front Wortec 2PC Disc (11.5kg / 25lbs)
376mm rear Wortec 2PC Disc (9kg / 20lbs)

As such Wortec saves you around 50lbs in unsprung mass, which is as good as the ceramics, in fact a little better. Reasoning for this is because the ceramics are larger disc than our steels, hence the saving, also Wortec have being doing this for a very long time with their primary focus being weight saving due to their motorsport background, though many don't agree with drilled disc, myself being one of them Wortec have perfected it and their disc offer the following:

- Rotors cast in their own material (FC28-30) which has better thermal profile than OEM rotors / disc and is more corrosion resistant (less rusty look).
- Bells machined from 6061 T6 Aluminium alloy and then hard anodised.
- Fixings are stainless steel.
- Rotors are fully floating (expansion and lateral load)
- Lifespan: similar to the OEM rotors and approved for motorsport use.
- Our rotors are cast then heat treated for 12hrs, then cooled for 12hrs. They are then machined. This stops any stress cracking on use. No oem or Brembo do this!

The rotors would look like this:

Here is an example of weight savings on an identical sized disc Wortec have done for S550 Mustang owners:

ORIGINAL 1PC Disc / Rotor - 15kg

WORTEC 2PC Disc / Rotor - 10.5kg

The improvements you get from 2PC disc is:
- Improved ride quality
- Improved handling
- Better looks
- Improved performance
- Less chance of brake fade

The Cost are for a full set front and rear (4 rotors / disc)
£1850 + VAT (Circa $2500 depending on exchange rates)
UK Shipping: £30
EU Shipping: £60-£100
USA Shipping: £200-£300

Now the only issue is Wortec need to make 5 sets for this to be worthwhile and for them to start production they need 3 confirmed orders with a 50% deposit. All payment / deposit and ordering would be done directly with Wortec you can contact them at:

Email: paul@wortec.co.uk
Facebook:
Facebook Post

Confirmed orders:

1. Gibbo (Myself)

So we only need three confirmed for this project to proceed, of course Wortec can produce an infinite amount of rotors.

Girodisc shall also be making up some front 380mm rotors, but unfortunately cannot supply rears, however Girodisc maybe able to supply the smaller rears, this could be done as a separate group buy if anyone wishes to organise as such.

So those who want the weight saving benefits of ceramics at a fraction of the price, well now it is possible.

Last edited by Gibbo205; 02-28-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Are these drilled or cast?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Are these drilled or cast?
Can you go into more detail with your question please and I shall get Paul from Wortec to answer it.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Rotors that are initially made as a solid part, then holes drilled into them are not safe to use on the track. The reason for this is that drilling process weakens material around holes and this leads to cracking under extreme heat. If you ever watched racing, you sometimes see threshold braking leading to visible radiation (e.g. red-hot) coming from disks. If this is done to drilled rotors, as they go through heating and cooling cycles they develop cracks. Often times careless drilling leads to making holes into vane barriers, and that also structurally weakens rotors on top of everything else. These called "drilled rotors" or "cross-drilled rotors", they are fine for the road use but not recommended for track. They are mostly for looks, as they made to look like race application rotors while being much cheaper to make.

Race quality rotors will be cast with holes already in them. It will be part of the mold. They are not prone to cracking due to heat like drilled rotors. These called "cast rotors" and are appropriate for racing.

If you intend to race, you are better off with solid rotors than drilled, as holes arguably don't do much to help you cool modern brake pad. If you don't intend to race, then why do you care about weight savings?

Here is some reading for anyone interested: http://www.fitzhughmedia.com/MBF/brakecdrill.html

Last edited by SinF; 02-28-2018 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tork Monster (07-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

I am getting not getting timely responses from my contact at Rolloface, so these may be our best option, but shipping to USA is um, kind of pricey. Perhaps if we get a few orders and combine shipping? I'm in LA near the port, perhaps we could send a container full and I'll pick them up and resell on ebay...

Burt Gummer (03-01-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Yes, definitely interested if the rotors have cast holes (versus drilled), or we can get them with just the slots.
For the U.S., rather than west coast delivery, might be cheaper (and a lot quicker) to have them delivered to the east coast for distribution. I'm located near the port of Baltimore. (Don't think we have to buy a whole container load, though )

Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
Rotors that are initially made as a solid part, then holes drilled into them are not safe to use on the track. The reason for this is that drilling process weakens material around holes and this leads to cracking under extreme heat. If you ever watched racing, you sometimes see threshold braking leading to visible radiation (e.g. red-hot) coming from disks. If this is done to drilled rotors, as they go through heating and cooling cycles they develop cracks. Often times careless drilling leads to making holes into vane barriers, and that also structurally weakens rotors on top of everything else. These called "drilled rotors" or "cross-drilled rotors", they are fine for the road use but not recommended for track. They are mostly for looks, as they made to look like race application rotors while being much cheaper to make.

Race quality rotors will be cast with holes already in them. It will be part of the mold. They are not prone to cracking due to heat like drilled rotors. These called "cast rotors" and are appropriate for racing.

If you intend to race, you are better off with solid rotors than drilled, as holes arguably don't do much to help you cool modern brake pad. If you don't intend to race, then why do you care about weight savings?

Here is some reading for anyone interested: Signal to Noise - cross-drilled rotors

Paul from Wortec has come back saying:
"Our rotors are cast then heat treated for 12hrs, then cooled for 12hrs. They are then machined. This stops any stress cracking on use. No oem or Brembo do this!"

He assured me they are fine for motorsport use and the Xenos race cars use their rotors for racing and there have not being any issues. Check their FB pages, you will see they have dedicated motorsport use on their rotors and race teams using them.

All seems good to me and I won't be racing my big heavy lard bus of an F-type anyway I just fancy losing 50lbs of unsprung mass without the huge expense of ceramics.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes, definitely interested if the rotors have cast holes (versus drilled), or we can get them with just the slots.
For the U.S., rather than west coast delivery, might be cheaper (and a lot quicker) to have them delivered to the east coast for distribution. I'm located near the port of Baltimore. (Don't think we have to buy a whole container load, though )

I shall get him to get a better price for Baltimore, if he can do so are you happy to help facilitate delivery to other members in US please?

"Our rotors are cast then heat treated for 12hrs, then cooled for 12hrs. They are then machined. This stops any stress cracking on use. No oem or Brembo do this!"

Old 02-28-2018, 11:16 AM

Count me in as a firm order if we can get reasonable shipping...

Old 02-28-2018, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Count me in as a firm order if we can get reasonable shipping...
What is your zip code and I'll get a shipping quote for you, alternatively you can email Paul direct to get a quote.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:30 AM

Old 02-28-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote requested.

I'd also advice dropping him a direct mail as well.

If your happy then we just need one more and we can then pay our 50% deposits.

Paul says once deposits are taken, it will be around 3 weeks production. Probably best I take first set as I am local so they could fit for me maybe and confirm there is no fitment issues.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 PM

He reckons about £150 to your location, if your up for that drop him a mail directly with your full address and details.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
I shall get him to get a better price for Baltimore, if he can do so are you happy to help facilitate delivery to other members in US please?

I would be happy to pick up the shipment in Baltimore and distribute the brake sets across North America via UPS ground at no cost as long as I am reimbursed for UPS ground to the final destination. If you can get a shipping weight for each brake set, I can provide shipping cost to each ZIP Code. That way we can determine if that is the cheapest alternative. If the brakes are heat treated after the drilling, you can Count me in for one set.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-28-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Chawumba (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I would be happy to pick up the shipment in Baltimore and distribute the brake sets across North America via UPS ground at no cost as long as I am reimbursed for UPS ground to the final destination. If you can get a shipping weight for each brake set, I can provide shipping cost to each ZIP Code. That way we can determine if that is the cheapest alternative. If the brakes are heat treated after the drilling, you can Count me in for one set.

That is what they are saying, they have cars racing on them and they've being doing it for over ten years, so I am guessing they probably know what they are doing. I see they also have a lot of VXR's, M4's, GTR's doing track work on these and those like our F Types are big heavy cars, good enough for them, good enough for us.

What is the zip code in Baltimore I should give him?

Old 02-28-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
That is what they are saying, they have cars racing on them and they've being doing it for over ten years, so I am guessing they probably know what they are doing. I see they also have a lot of VXR's, M4's, GTR's doing track work on these and those like our F Types are big heavy cars, good enough for them, good enough for us.

What is the zip code in Baltimore I should give him?
You can either have them ship to the Port of Baltimore for pickup or send to 20904. The port will probably be cheaper.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:28 PM

I'm in, Unhinged that would be great if you will facilitate domestic shipping. Are we sure my 2015 R has same size rotors?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

I'm in, Unhinged that would be great if you will facilitate domestic shipping. Are we sure my 2015 R has same size rotors?
If you don't have the ceramics, that's the only size steel brakes that come on the R. Those of us with the V6 that have the Super Performance Brake option also have this size.

Chawumba (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 08:39 PM

Perfect, I'll contact Paul and get my deposit in.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:57 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Is it possible to make mine slotted plus drilled. Love that look

Last edited by zmoothg; 03-01-2018 at 02:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Group buy: 2pc wortec rotors for steel super brakes on f-type