F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency... can not get into gear in my manual trans

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Emergency... can not get into gear in my manual trans

I can get it into gear with the car off but cannot get it into gear when the car is on. Clutch pedal fully depressed, it will not go into any gear. Any ideas?

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

If your clutch pedal action feels normal, then your clutch mechanism has failed. If your clutch has not yet been replaced, you will likely get it replaced under warranty. This is a common and frequent failure on these cars. I am currently on my 4th clutch and currently having a performance clutch manufacturer design and build a high performance clutch for me so that it is ready to be installed when this 4th clutch fails.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 PM

Clutch action feels normal. I was able to start it up in gear with clutch pedal depressed and then shift into other gears from there, but if I shifted into neutral and released the clutch in neutral, then I have to turn the car off and start it back up in gear to get going again. Basically, neutral is broken...

I remember reading about clutch issues but thought they were limited to the clutch slipping and not holding power. Is my neutral problem an issue you have had?

Old 03-21-2018, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

The clutch is not fully releasing. The only reason you can shift once the car is rolling is that the synchronizers are able to assist the shifting. (if you rev match between gears, you don't even need to use the clutch pedal). This is how 2 of my previous clutches failed. Don't drive around too long like this, as your syncros will wear out prematurely.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:30 AM

It’s on a tow truck being shipped to the nearest dealer in the morning. I’m not going to risk doing further damage to the syncros driving it more. That and tomorrow isn’t a great day to take a 4 hour road trip anyway...

Appreciate the info, hopefully the replacement clutch is better. What you said totally makes sense given the symptoms I had. I just hope it doesn’t take a month to get it fixed!

Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by approx
It’s on a tow truck being shipped to the nearest dealer in the morning. I’m not going to risk doing further damage to the syncros driving it more. That and tomorrow isn’t a great day to take a 4 hour road trip anyway...

Appreciate the info, hopefully the replacement clutch is better. What you said totally makes sense given the symptoms I had. I just hope it doesn’t take a month to get it fixed!
Make sure to read through this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/

Fixing this requires multiple parts, not just clutch.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

In case no one has mentioned it yet, your clutch is failing :/

That was failure mode #2 for me. Failure mode #1 was slipping under load. Neither was consistent.

The thread mentioned by SinF has all the info. Somewhere in there is the service campaign number as well. That proved useful to me. I don't have the number offhand though.

When they pulled out the clutch, there were loose pieces. They ended up replacing pressure plate and disc, plus flywheel. When they pulled the flywheel, they decided to replace the rear main seal too.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those who have had problems with the clutch, how many miles did your car have at problem onset? I'm not sure whether I've got the first or second generation clutch, but I've not had any problems with it yet and I'm at just over 1000 miles

Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=lizzardo;1862880]

That was failure mode #2 for me. Failure mode #1 was slipping under load. [QUOTE] That was failure #1 (loose bits) & #3 (no loose bits) for me. Failure #2 was the slipping.

First two failures on the Gen1 clutch, third on the Gen2 clutch and currently using the 4th generation OEM clutch. All within 22k miles.

The following users liked this post:
Clayton (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I drive mine daily, so I rack up many commute miles. I complained about it when I had an early oil change (~7000 miles) but it didn't fail hard until much later. Initially, it would occasionally slip under hard acceleration, but not often enough that I could get it to happen at will.

Clayton (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

My initial clutch was slipping at 0km and was replaced due to that. Second gen clutch lasted about 14K km and ended up damaging gearbox and differential. Third generation clutch is in the car right now along with a new gearbox. The rest is TBD, but there is now a forth generation clutch.

Clayton (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 03:49 PM

I just reached 8000 miles on mine..

Old 03-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

8000 miles with no problems. I accelerate like a bat out of hell whenever I enter the freeway.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand how this didn't show up during the development process. These failures aren't occurring at high mileage, and are way too common. They have to have known this would happen and yet, they released this setup for production anyway. It doesn't just make sense...unless, as someone posed earlier, they did it to provide a mechanical fuse to protect an equally-underspeced rear differential. Post-1983 Corvettes have always had higher-spec differentials on manual-equipped cars, and before that, all Corvettes had manual-spec-duty differentials. If Jaguar didn't realize that need on their own, wouldn't their transmission supplier have mentioned it to them?

If they didn't want to do the job properly, for whatever reason, why did they do it all? They had to have known that there was never going to be a high "take rate" for the manual. It's just baffling...

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 03-22-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

sounds like a problem with the clutch discs disengaging

Old 03-22-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Buckingham
8000 miles with no problems. I accelerate like a bat out of hell whenever I enter the freeway.
To be fair, I accelerate like that... everywhere.

But I'm not abusive on the clutch. I almost always engage at idle or just above and THEN punch it. I did do a 1st gear tire-smoking launch one time though, but that was a while back.

Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan
I don't understand how this didn't show up during the development process. These failures aren't occurring at high mileage, and are way too common. They have to have known this would happen and yet, they released this setup for production anyway. It doesn't just make sense...unless, as someone posed earlier, they did it to provide a mechanical fuse to protect an equally-underspeced rear differential. Post-1983 Corvettes have always had higher-spec differentials on manual-equipped cars, and before that, all Corvettes had manual-spec-duty differentials. If Jaguar didn't realize that need on their own, wouldn't their transmission supplier have mentioned it to them?

If they didn't want to do the job properly, for whatever reason, why did they do it all? They had to have known that there was never going to be a high "take rate" for the manual. It's just baffling...
Agreed, it is pretty frustrating. I am holding out hope that they've fixed it with the 4th gen, but Unhingd's posts have dampened that somewhat. Time will tell, I guess... I would not have bought an F-Type if they didn't make a manual, so I'm glad they did it, just hope they can make it right!

Old 03-22-2018, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by approx
To be fair, I accelerate like that... everywhere.

But I'm not abusive on the clutch. I almost always engage at idle or just above and THEN punch it. I did do a 1st gear tire-smoking launch one time though, but that was a while back.

Agreed, it is pretty frustrating. I am holding out hope that they've fixed it with the 4th gen, but Unhingd's posts have dampened that somewhat. Time will tell, I guess... I would not have bought an F-Type if they didn't make a manual, so I'm glad they did it, just hope they can make it right!
The fourth generation clutch is working just fine on my car. However, I only have 1000 miles on that clutch, and only time will tell.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The fourth generation clutch is working just fine on my car. However, I only have 1000 miles on that clutch, and only time will tell.
You driving it to your Bingo! games doesn't count as harsh use :P

Old 03-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

As far as I know MT and AT have exact same LSD. Also, there aren't any flex disks anywhere in the drive-line, so as far as I know nothing is damping hard shifting.

If anyone is inclined, bang shift your car for a couple laps, most of your differential will drain out with oil.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
If anyone is inclined, bang shift your car for a couple laps, most of your differential will drain out with oil.
This may be the source of your failing diff and tranny. Bang shifting through the turns is the fast way into the tire wall, not the fast way around the track.

Quick Reply: Emergency... can not get into gear in my manual trans