XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ12 Coolant Crossover Pipe (aka coolant bypass pipe) removal advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 07:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ12 Coolant Crossover Pipe (aka coolant bypass pipe) removal advice

So I'm in the process of removing this pipe. One of the ends is rusty and coolant leaks from it causing it to run hot after a short period of time. Anyway the pipe is fully disconnected. I undid two hose clamps on each end. The two that connect to the top of it and 1 that connects to the bottom end of it.

Now my challenge is physically removing it from the engine bay. The pipe is behind all of the belts in front of it. Particularly it is running into belt that is seen in the photo. I cannot tell you what belt that is. Any advice how to get it out or must I remove all of the belts now? The belt that the pipe is leaning against is the rearmost belt. If I had to guess that is the alternator belt but I'm not sure. Here are photos for reference.

First photo is of me pointing at the belt it is leaning against. The subsequent photos show it fully remove but kind of sitting in the belt idly because it can't go anywhere. Thanks!

What belt is my finger pointing to?

Last edited by outsidecenter; 03-19-2024 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,116 Likes on 5,368 Posts

Remove the belts.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,443 Likes on 635 Posts

What's your plan for the cross-over pipe? I know this isn't a cheap option but it also means you never have to worry about it again.

Greg in France (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Remove the belts.
That was my fear. Ok I'll get to it.

Originally Posted by Thorsen
What's your plan for the cross-over pipe? I know this isn't a cheap option but it also means you never have to worry about it again.

You mean this?

The following 2 users liked this post by outsidecenter:
Greg in France (03-20-2024), Thorsen (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,443 Likes on 635 Posts

Good for you! "Buy once, cry once" is my motto.

Greg in France (03-20-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 11:16 AM
Received 357 Likes on 210 Posts

You might be able to get away with just undoing the AC compressor belt. If you get the belt off the compressor and just hanging there, it might be possible to wiggle the pipe out. You undid the connections to the water pump right? That's where I struggled, even with all the belts and radiator out of the way that short hose did not want to let go.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by garethashenden
You might be able to get away with just undoing the AC compressor belt. If you get the belt off the compressor and just hanging there, it might be possible to wiggle the pipe out. You undid the connections to the water pump right? That's where I struggled, even with all the belts and radiator out of the way that short hose did not want to let go.
Yes sir that's exactly what I did a couple of days ago. I undid the compressor belt and that gave me enough space to riggle it out and now the new pipe is in. You can see the new shiny pipe in there.

Bad news is that when I got under the car to put the AC back on the crank pulley I discovered the alternator belt is damaged. So now I'm going to jump off a bridge instead.

Greg in France (03-24-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 03:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outsidecenter
So I'm in the process of removing this pipe. One of the ends is rusty and coolant leaks from it causing it to run hot after a short period of time. Anyway the pipe is fully disconnected. I undid two hose clamps on each end. The two that connect to the top of it and 1 that connects to the bottom end of it.

Now my challenge is physically removing it from the engine bay. The pipe is behind all of the belts in front of it. Particularly it is running into belt that is seen in the photo. I cannot tell you what belt that is. Any advice how to get it out or must I remove all of the belts now? The belt that the pipe is leaning against is the rearmost belt. If I had to guess that is the alternator belt but I'm not sure. Here are photos for reference.

First photo is of me pointing at the belt it is leaning against. The subsequent photos show it fully remove but kind of sitting in the belt idly because it can't go anywhere. Thanks!

What belt is my finger pointing to?

All good now?

Old 04-23-2024, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by outsidecenter
Yes sir that's exactly what I did a couple of days ago. I undid the compressor belt and that gave me enough space to riggle it out and now the new pipe is in. You can see the new shiny pipe in there.

Bad news is that when I got under the car to put the AC back on the crank pulley I discovered the alternator belt is damaged. So now I'm going to jump off a bridge instead.

Spoiler

Any update after this?

Old 04-23-2024, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by MasonRamirez
All good now?
yep!