XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

who to sell to: 1988 Jaguar xjs Hess Hess & Eisenhardt

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question who to sell to: 1988 Jaguar xjs Hess Hess & Eisenhardt

I own a 1988 jaguar Hess & Eisenhardt edition vehicle. I've been looking to sell my car for a while, its got some more work to do on it but here's the gist: needs new exhaust, new antenna, new radio, needs new clearcoat, and some minor cosmetic issues. the car runs and drives very well, mechanically its close to perfect and about 96,000 miles. I'm not sure what's its worth but I want close to 10 grand. It may sound like a stretch for that price but I don't have many examples of them selling to go off of. with a little bit of research the car is a 1 of 2,100. I don't know if this is a sought after car but that's why I'm reaching out here.

out of this posting im asking for 2 things: 1. if you know what its worth send me that price(not saying its your offer just what its worth) and 2. who can I contact to give me a reasonable price because if I just wanted to sell it to someone for a snickers and lunch id just go to a scrap yard(joke)

Old 05-02-2024, 10:49 AM
Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

You could do worse than look on bringatrailer.com to get an idea of comparable cars.

HTH, Dave

The following users liked this post:
Mguar (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,478 Likes on 644 Posts

If you posted some pictures we might be able to help give you a better idea of the value.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 264 Posts

$10 K will take exactly the right buyer and likely need everything you mentioned brought up to snuff .
It’s not impossible but don’t be like so many sellers. Hanging onto it determined to get your price so long it becomes stale.
That’s the kiss of death. Once the whole buying market has sent and passed then you are waiting for the New buyer with that sort of budget wanting exactly that color and condition.
If be noticed a drop in collector car sales. Now might be the time to hold rather than wait for the big buyer

Old 05-04-2024, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 362 Likes on 264 Posts

Wow, a lot of spell check mistakes in my last posting. That or my fat fingers.
Anyway, I suspect you’re at least 50% over the real market in the condition you describe.
While the Hess and Eisenhardt convertible is prettier with the top down than the later factory Convertibles. It is still cursed with the earlier pre Ford ownership flaws and lacking the 6.0 liter V12 that could justify the price you’re suggesting.
Resale Red makes a slight difference but the cost to redo just the clear coat properly would eat up most if not all of that.
DIY people could reduce the cost of repairs dramatically. But those people want real bargains to begin with.
However that’s just my humble opinion and I’m not always right.
If you decide to go ahead, market it extensively. Bring a trailer, barn finds, Hemmings, this site with pictures , pictures, pictures, price and contact details information.

Old 05-04-2024, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 826 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by ShellFrog
needs new clearcoat,
Apologies, but there really isn't such a thing as just a new clearcoat, The new owner will be looking at a complete respray, which unless they do the work or they know somewhere they can get a wholesale paint job it will cost more than the car. It's possible to do a clearcoat fix on a small area, but it is very time consuming to do it properly and have it last more than few months. It's faster for a shop to do full repaint than trying to preserve the base coat.

Old 05-04-2024, 03:05 PM
Received 364 Likes on 214 Posts

With the clearcoat and the other issues you outline, that sounds like Hagerty's condition 4. They don't list a value for the H&E convertible specifically, but an '88 coupe is $7300 and an '89 factory convertible is $9700.
I found this car, which sold in 2018. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-jaguar-xjs-5/
I think that even six years later, you will really struggle to get that much for it.

Old 05-04-2024, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 566 Likes on 344 Posts

I also own a 1988 Hess & Eisenhardt Jaguar. I spent almost 2 years refurbishing the car after I was told on this forum that the car belonged in the Junk Yard. These cars are filled with hidden rust points that must be addressed properly. The areas I am talking about are the rear quarter panels in the area under the rear quarter windows. This is the area where Hess and company made their mistakes. They cut, then reinforced the car to make it more rigid but did a very poor job of it. Water collects in this area and that is why it is prone to rust. In addition to that is the normal rust issues with Jaguar.
I redid all of the rusted areas and did a full respray in the original color (RED) refurbished the rot on the rear floor, redid the upholstery etc. The Convertible top is original to the car.
I did all of the work myself, with the exception of the welding. Including the cost of the car I have invested more than $8,000 into this car. If I add my labor cost , on the low side add another $4,000.
If I were to try to sell it I will not be able to recoup my money.
On top of that, I ended up LUMPING my car with an LT1/4L60E GM powertrain. This in itself added another $4,000 to my cost.
So, my estimate cost to refurbish this car is $16,000
Since, I cannot get my money back, I drive the hell out of the car and I enjoy doing so.
This is my hobby which I enjoy very much.
I will be watching your post to see what you get for your car.
If I were to sell, my advertised price would be $10,000 OBO. which most likely I would not get.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (05-05-2024)