Sponsored by:

Looking for help with Aston Martin/ Jaguar transmission control module

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 09:33 AM
HPP
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for help with Aston Martin/ Jaguar transmission control module

Hello!
I need help reprogramming my TCU of a 2006 Vanquish S.
Its AM but on all control modules its written Jaguar and since DB7 was on the XK platform I decided to make a post.
Is there anyone here capable doing such diagnosys?
Tricky part is that I live in Bulgaria and I am quite far away from UK where are located 90% of the shops which are capable doing such service.
I am looking for remote help , recommendations are more then welcome in this situation!

Briefly the problem is that the car does not work in the manual mode, called by AM - SSM - select shift manual.
Paddles are used to shift the gears in SSM and there was stored code for the upshift paddle - it was replaced with new part but this did not solve the problem.
For some reason the TCU module cannot be read by the diagnosys tool which I have and the car had small accident and battery was disconnected for a long time.
So my guess is that the module lost its configuration and needs to be reprogrammed since the old owner said everything was working prior accident and car have service history in AM just 130 kms prior accident.
So can anyone help me out with this problem?
Thanks!

Old 05-04-2024, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 476 Likes on 342 Posts

You might be better off asking in the X150 forum (Jaguar XK) which also has the flappy paddle shifters. The X100 (this forum) doesn't have them, all shifting is done via the gear lever.

The following users liked this post:
HPP (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 329 Posts

Look up moscow leaper on the forums, he has written zf26 software.
wj

HPP (05-06-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 01:17 PM
HPP

Thanks for the advice, unfortunatelly I think the Vanquish is using 6 speed Tremec tranmission.

Old 05-05-2024, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HPP
Thanks for the advice, unfortunatelly I think the Vanquish is using 6 speed Tremec tranmission.
If it really is a Tremec, rather than a ZF I can't see it having anything in common with the Jaguar TCU. Have you tried the various Aston Martin forums and even Facebook?

HPP (05-06-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 12:59 PM
HPP

I have made posts in all Aston Martin forums I could find and I have contacted few shops in UK. The information they are willing to share with me is very limited and the only answer I could get is to transport the car 5000kms for a diagnosys session.
Maybe If I can find the right diagnosys tool which can do the learning procedures on these cars I will be able to do it myself but the only tool which is 100% certain doing this job is original AM software and it costs 5 figures.
I know they used WDS back in the day , CD 12 or CD 11 / cant remember / isnt there emulated version of this software nowadays?

Old 05-06-2024, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

WDS was the original Ford diagnostic system which ran on a customised PC with a built in interface to the car - if you could find one of those plus the Aston Martin discs for your car it might be a solution - I'm guessing its those disks which are the hard to get expensive part. I don't know if there is an emulated version given that we have IDS instead - maybe someone else on here knows?

WDS was replaced by IDS which runs on a laptop with an external interface module (Mogoose cable etc) - this is in effect what the Jaguar dealers had and what serious DIYers now have (or something like an iCarsoft which seems to have many of the same features). I don't know if IDS is compatible with your Aston Martin - again that is a question for an AM forum, but it doesn't sound like they have the same depth of knowledge that there is on a forum like this one, due to the relative scarcity of AMs compared to Jaguars.

HPP (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 846 Posts

If you use a Launch/TopDon/Thinktool you make an adapter to hook up pin 3’s k-line to pin 7 on your scan tool. it will pull DTCs and let you do the octopus. If you need live data bring it up as Ferrari 360 CS.

if you have to replace the TCM, just swap it and run the octopus (self test) you’re good to go.
I can sell you my WDS with aston CD13 installed.

Last edited by xalty; 05-06-2024 at 12:59 PM.
HPP (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 02:19 PM
HPP

Thanks for the replies, the amount of knowledge and willingness to help is amazing.
As far as I know octopus is basically the teach in operation which will run each gear and in this way it will learn the new TCU?
It will calibrate the gear and the clutch position by doing this test.
On the other hand if I have WDS with cd13 installed I can do all kind of maintance myself in future if I need them.
Is it complicated using the WDS system? I have watched some videos in youtube it look very ancient honestly but as far as it works it should be fine.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by HPP
Thanks for the replies, the amount of knowledge and willingness to help is amazing.
As far as I know octopus is basically the teach in operation which will run each gear and in this way it will learn the new TCU?
It will calibrate the gear and the clutch position by doing this test.
On the other hand if I have WDS with cd13 installed I can do all kind of maintance myself in future if I need them.
Is it complicated using the WDS system? I have watched some videos in youtube it look very ancient honestly but as far as it works it should be fine.
works the same as IDS it just runs on a pentium 1 toaster

try the thinkdiag first i can show you how to get it working

HPP (05-06-2024)