Sights N Sounds Post all of your video and sounds clips here.

XKR-S got spanked ..... yes, it's not apples to apples but still ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Default XKR-S got spanked ..... yes, it's not apples to apples but still ....

Top Gear comparison - 2012 Jaguar XKR-S vs Nissan GT-R.

‪Top Gear Jaguar XKR S vs New Nissan GTR‬‏ - YouTube

I know it's not apples-to-apples comparison ..... I'm still surprised at how wicked the GT-R is. It looks like a car straight out of a Playstation game.

I am wondering how XKR-S would perform against a DBS .... ?

Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/2...r-xkr-s-57786/

Was a extremely dumb comparison, GT vs supercar. Plus NO rear wheel drive car is going to hang with the GTR in the wet. The XKR S was faster around the top gear track then the DBS.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  19.3 KB

I watched that on Top Gear on Sunday night and couldn't believe the way the Jag was left for dead?? I haven't driven the XKR-S but have driven the XKR with speed pack ( a damn fast machine ).....that Nissan GTR is an awesome piecee ofengineering with only a 3.8 engine too.......they must really squeeze every extra horse out of that......

The launch control was exceptional too......amazingly quick off the line

Old 07-21-2011, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I would still go for the XKRS . The Nissan is like Tron bikes , too much digital stuffs but awesome engineering for good .

Old 07-21-2011, 03:37 PM

"If my children are watching,don't worry dads not having a stroke...just driving a nissan."....lol

Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JimC64

I watched that on Top Gear on Sunday night and couldn't believe the way the Jag was left for dead?? I haven't driven the XKR-S but have driven the XKR with speed pack ( a damn fast machine ).....that Nissan GTR is an awesome piecee ofengineering with only a 3.8 engine too.......they must really squeeze every extra horse out of that......

The launch control was exceptional too......amazingly quick off the line
So did me,
I think Jezza lost his way a little, performance geeks know all about the GTR, it smokes everything, so why compare a driver focused GT like the Jag, they could have had more fun and compared the XKR-S to Astons', Ferraris and Germans.

Two things that stick out for me, the stated output is less than reality, and it walloped the 911 turbo round the ring. A very clever car that Nissan, I'd love a go in one, just to try that launch control....;-)

Old 07-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

As I said in the other thread, if you look at the other cars near the XKR-S time, they are all very fast supercars. Ferrari F430, Lambo Murcielago, Lexus LFA, etc. And the XKR-S is fraction of the price of those. What's wrong with that?!

I'm surprised Clarkson would come out and bash the Jag so badly seeing as he is typically partial to the big cats.

Then again, I agree with his conclusion that it's probably not the best Jag, given that most of the interior luxuriousness has been gutted out, etc. But this is supposed to be a racing version, not one for pulling up to fancy restaurants in!

Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
As I said in the other thread, if you look at the other cars near the XKR-S time, they are all very fast supercars. Ferrari F430, Lambo Murcielago, Lexus LFA, etc. And the XKR-S is fraction of the price of those. What's wrong with that?!

I'm surprised Clarkson would come out and bash the Jag so badly seeing as he is typically partial to the big cats.
Nothing .... except that GT-R's price is a fraction of XKR-S' price. I know, one's supposed to be a harder-edged GT, the other is an engineering **** on 4 wheels.

If I had the money for an XKR-S, I'd buy a pre-owned GT-R then use the left over for a pre-owned '09 or '10 XKR.

Nothing is surprising anymore with Jezza - he goes guardrail to guardrail all the time.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Both cars are pretty good, but unless you happen to own an airfield, both sets of figures are pointless.

That being said, the engineering grin factor, priceless.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I know the bugatti is a huge hunk of metal that nobody really cares about to this date anymore, but the GTR if twin turboed SPANKS the bugatti. Check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8O5ncJWWao

Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

;>)
A friend of mine owns a 35 GTR. He drives it on track days only. Willall racing in Adelaide tweaked the computer a touch and fitted a few items to it on the inlet side for an increase of around 45kW. My 34 GTR has an Apexi FC with boost control, Apexi inlet pods and a cat back exhaust (+ specced up clutch). Martin Donnon (Zoom & Performance Imports) at Willall took it to over 300+ kW in rear wheel drive but then dropped it back to 293 kW because of the summer temps in Adelaide and the fuel available.
Boost was upped to 1.15 bar which is below the 1.35 bar that the standard turbos are supposed to handle safely, ignition and fuelling changes were made as required as the original tune was very rich.
The graph show before and after. It has travelled 45K on this tune and apart from oil changes, tyres and minor items there have been no problems. That is 6 years.
They are a nice machine - but I still like my 3.2 XJ40.
In aquaintance of mine in Adelaide wants to sell me his 34. *1000hp on E85/650hp on 98 ron. This 34 is just a bit too much for me. It owes him about 120K and you can have it for 70K.
I have had a drive in it ......
* I have the dyno graph if anyone is interested?

Attached Thumbnails XKR-S got spanked ..... yes, it's not apples to apples but still ....-save0003.jpg  

Last edited by direng; 07-23-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by r0m8470
Top Gear comparison - 2012 Jaguar XKR-S vs Nissan GT-R.

‪Top Gear Jaguar XKR S vs New Nissan GTR‬‏ - YouTube

I know it's not apples-to-apples comparison ..... I'm still surprised at how wicked the GT-R is. It looks like a car straight out of a Playstation game.

I am wondering how XKR-S would perform against a DBS .... ?
The DBS would have to be faster... Aston Martin has been holding Jaguar back for years. You wouldn't be happy if your cheaper sister company beat your cars to a pulp, would you? Neither would Aston.

The XJ Supersport leaves a Rapide for DEAD though. The XKR-S is relatively slow (especially for that amount of power... disappointingly slow) with its power to weight.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Then again, I agree with his conclusion that it's probably not the best Jag, given that most of the interior luxuriousness has been gutted out, etc. But this is supposed to be a racing version, not one for pulling up to fancy restaurants in!

You have a good point then it's like Jaguar XKR's denuded version and it is like Porsche Turbo to Porsche GT3 . The latter one also comes with stripped out fancy gadgets , not a proper door handle

Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by RegentV12
You have a good point then it's like Jaguar XKR's denuded version and it is like Porsche Turbo to Porsche GT3 . The latter one also comes with stripped out fancy gadgets , not a proper door handle
What interior gadgets have been stripped out of the Jag? I wasn't aware of any

Old 07-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

All the wood!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:13 PM

All the wood!
Thats it? Last time i checked, wood wasn't a gadget, and the piano black trim looks excellent. I wouldn't describe it as having "most of the interior luxuriousness has been gutted out" if it simply is missing wood.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Harley Davidson used to have a poster with a slogan that said:
"Legends are measured in years...Not seconds"
It was a response to the Japanese bike invasion during the 70's where every magazine was comparing Harley with the new stuff.
Completely missing the point. There was and is and always will be room for both types of bikes and in this thread both types of cars.

But if anyone thinks that some Japanese car company that produces fantastic but entirely forgettable cars that go out of style with the seasons will take Jaguar off of its pedestal they are delusional.

My wife is a certifiable car nut and an apprentice judge with the JCNA, she will be certified as a full judge by the fall, got that?
She is also a commercial actress and you have probably seen her in many of your favorite TV shows and more than a few movies. She has done more than 40 commercials one of which was for a Nissan 300 ZX. It ran nationally in the USA AND Canada and for filming she drove the car in a "racing manner".
Filming took TWO days! She remembers NOTHING about the car except it was black. Now that is not normal for a car nut. Especially someone tuned into details as a Concours judge has to be. Remember she is a concours judge.

All that to say this, it takes a hell of a lot more than speed and handling to make a memorable and legendary car.
Honda made the "Thinking man's Ferarri" in the Acura NSX.
A Fabulous car (Yawn) I know a guy who has one it is red (yawn) and by golly it is fast and does everything exactly correct and never breaks! But!!! Is completely devoid of personality and soul. Hence the (Yawn) It will be many decades (maybe centuries) untill the Japanese and for that manner the German manufacturers make a car with the personality of a Jag. Even GM gets it with the Corvette! You get into the car and it has a "legend" status built in. You only get that from a deep history and an emotional connection to the cars history which has been proven and woven into the fabric of the ownnership and provenenance of the car.

As I said, "Legends are measured in years...Not seconds"

so good luck to Nissan, Honda, and Toyota if they ever hope to approach the status of a Corvette, Jaguar, Porche or Ferarri. I know Porche is German but whatever...got to give credit where it is due...even reluctantly LOL.

With that I wll rest my case.

Remember this:
"Legends are measured in YEARS not SECONDS"

JustV12

Last edited by justV12; 07-23-2011 at 08:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jerry the Jaguar (07-23-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Getting back to the XKRS for a moment, watching it drift through the corners, it appeared that only the inside wheel was smoking?

Don't tell me that this is yet another Muscle-Jag that doesn't have an LSD?

They couldn't have done that again, surely?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jerry the Jaguar
Last time i checked, wood wasn't a gadget,
If you think wood isn't a gadget, maybe you're not using your wood properly!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey JustV12--exceptionally well stated! I frequently see posts on various forums similar to "my (fill-in-the-name) spanked a Corvette/Porsche/Ferrari, etc." When I had my 1995 Corvette, I would often see posts on the Corvette Forum about some Corvette owner being unhappy that he was beaten by one of the cranked-up Subaru's or similar rice-burners. My answer was always "what would you rather be driving?"

If being the fastest from 0-60 or around the Nurburgring is of your utmost importance, then you will be sadly disappointed with whatever you get since there will always be something faster coming along in the next few months. Moreover, how often would you be in your XKR-S or whatever and come up alongside a GT-R in a race-type situation?

Of course, you have to hand it to Nissan in terms of being able to crank out such a performer at a "reasonable" price (compared with Porsche, Jaguar, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc.).

Still, would you rather be driving around in the GT-R or one of those other cars?

Doug

Quick Reply: XKR-S got spanked ..... yes, it's not apples to apples but still ....