Trip computer - Average fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trip computer - Average fuel consumption

Hi everyone,

2012 XF SE 10,000 miles

Hi everyone.,

I have a RHD model here in the Czech Republic, where I currently live, It was purchased in the UK in July 2013.

My question should be addressed to the local Jaguar concessionaire, I realize that, however, distance is the first problem, language the second. Therefore, I would be very much obliged to have any suggestions with regard to the following;

The Trip computer, registering fuel consumption etc. is stuck on 6.7 ltrs/100km and has been so for the past three weeks. I have reset it to read mpg, in an endeavour to correct the problem, to no avail.
I used to enjoy watching it read as low as 4.9ltrs/100km, I hope I can have that pleasure again!

It occurred to me that, as with most computer programs, the first line of action would be to disconnect the battery in the hope of regeneration. I presume that there is a battery back up, that would be necessary to retain overall mileage etc. Potentially, if that is the case, disconnecting the battery would have no effect.

So there is my question. Has anyone experienced the same problem and subsequently had it rectified?

If the only answer is to take it to the local dealer then so be it but if there is a simple cure I would be very pleased to know.

Other than that; in accordance with local regulations I have had winter tyres fitted, Vredestein, following the recommendation on this forum.

Brakes are noisy when starting or manoeuvring on a hill but I imagine that is something I am obliged to live with.

Am I correct in my belief that the XF is the most wonderful car in the world?

Wish you all seasonal greetings, kind regards,
Geoffrey

Old 12-16-2013, 05:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,808 Likes on 12,173 Posts

Geoffrey,

Your XF touch screen setup looks much the same as my XK. Have you tried resetting both Trip A and Trip B to zero?

When I read your post, I immediately thought disconnecting the battery / hard reset loses all trip data but then realised I've never actually checked that it does!

A hard reset will lose fuel trim adaptations which return to default and gradually adapt again as you drive. Transmission adaptations aren't affected by battery disconnection but window travel limits and EPB have to be reset.

Graham

Old 12-17-2013, 10:58 AM

Hi Graham,

Very kind of you to comment on my post, thank you.
We have just returned, having been out all day, however, tomorrow I will firstly try zeroing the A and B trips and if that doesn't do the trick then it will get more dramatic with the battery disconnect.

I will confirm the results on this thread.

I can understand why you didn't agree with my suggestion that the XF is the most beautiful car in the world, it's all relative and we are both happy. Living here I call it my Trabant, just for fun, I will relate a good communist Trabant joke with my next addition.

All the best for now.
Kind regards,
Geoffrey

Old 12-18-2013, 07:47 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by terrygeoffrey
............ I can understand why you didn't agree with my suggestion that the XF is the most beautiful car in the world, it's all relative and we are both happy. ............
Geoffrey,

I made no comment on the XF.

As I've owned examples of most models of Jaguar over the past forty years, I would certainly have an XF if I needed a four door car again.

Graham

Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 AM

Hi Graham,

Update.

Following your kind suggestion I did reset the A and B records to zero this morning and certainly the consumption readout is now without an indication, suggesting that all is well.

Much as I would like to, I regret it is not possible for me to take the car out today for a test run, however, tomorrow we are scheduled to make a 100km round trip journey, presumably sufficient to confirm the correctness of the new data.

I will confirm late tomorrow afternoon and once more many thanks.

Ciao
Geoffrey

Old 12-18-2013, 08:25 AM
GGG

Geoffrey,

That sounds correct. You should see only bars ( - - - ) or zeros (000) if you cycle through the trip readings after resetting both A and B.

I use one 'A' for business mileage and 'B' for personal mileage and have done this ever since Jaguar introduced the trip computer with the XJ40.

Readings will start to show in a few kilometres and you should have some meaningful numbers after approximately 10 Km driving.

Graham

Old 12-19-2013, 04:12 AM

Good morning Graham,

Just to confirm that all is well, I repeat my thanks for your kind interest and guidance.

Considering the time of year, I also wish you all the very best for Christmas and 2014.

Kind regards,
Geoffrey

Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 AM
GGG

Good Morning to you too, Geoffrey.

I'm pleased to hear the trip computer is responding again.

Veselé Vánoce,
Graham

Old 12-28-2013, 01:22 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Am I correct in my belief that the XF is the most wonderful car in the world?
You're correct that that is your belief, but I have to say the XKR is more wonderful than the XF.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:47 AM

Well I know that, but I will continue in my dream world. It's too late for me to save the extra £4.15.6p for the XKR coupe and I'm no longer athletic enough to get into it.

WIsh you and your XKR a Happy, healthy and prosperous 2014
Ciao
Geoffrey

Old 01-04-2014, 04:59 AM

Hi,

I incorrectly presumed that the trip computer fuel gauge was working correctly. However, since it registers between 6.8 and 7 at all speeds, whether up hill or down hill, that assumption would appear to be incorrect.

Secondly on DRL the monitor, a small illuminated back to back headlights icon is not now lighting although the J lights are illuminated.

I don't ask anyone to waste time on these two irritations but if anyone knows of a simple cure I would be very pleased to know, otherwise I will need to wait until I can spare the car to have the two problems investigated.

Best wishes to all,
Geoffrey

Old 01-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Graham,

Very kind of you to comment on my post, thank you.
We have just returned, having been out all day, however, tomorrow I will firstly try zeroing the A and B trips and if that doesn't do the trick then it will get more dramatic with the battery disconnect.

I will confirm the results on this thread.

I can understand why you didn't agree with my suggestion that the XF is the most beautiful car in the world, it's all relative and we are both happy. Living here I call it my Trabant, just for fun, I will relate a good communist Trabant joke with my next addition.

All the best for now.
Kind regards,
Geoffrey
Glad you're sorted.

Now about that Trabant joke ...

Q: how do you double the value of a Trabi?
A: fill the petrol tank with two-stroke.

Q: How did the 601 get its name?
A: Space for 6 people, comfort for zero, and one to push it.

[mods - feel free to move this post to the Jokes section]

Best wishes, Colin

Old 01-05-2014, 03:47 AM

Sorry completely forgot my promise.

There's a sharp bend in the road, on a hill in the forest - here in the Czech Republic of course.

An American, driving a huge Cadillac, misjudges and crashes into a tree.
Shortly extracting himself from the wreckage he exclaims, ''Gee, that's a months salary gone''

He has no time to fully recompose himself before an English Gentleman, (you may remember them), driving a Silver Ghost makes the same error. ''Good gracious'', he remarks, ''that's six months salary down the drain''.

The American begins to join the Englishman when they are both disturbed by the coughing, belching 'engine' of a Trabant. The Czech driver has even less experience than the other two and shortly his prized possession is a heap of plastic and wire.
''Oh, my God, the poor little man cries, ''That's a lifetimes savings gone''.
The American and Englishman both express surprise that he should have bought such an expensive car!!

Thank you for your additions, which I found most amusing.

Geoffrey