US Lower Atlantic NC SC FL GA

Buying and transporting car from Texas to NC

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying and transporting car from Texas to NC

I live in NC, but am looking at a car in Texas. The plan is to fly out to purchase and drive back with it. I have been searching all over the web to find out the procedure to legally transport the car back into NC and I haven't found anything.

Has anyone had any experience with this? It seems like some states offer 10 day or temp tags, but NC does not.

I have seen suggestions to just put on an old plate, but I do not have an old plate to put on (and that doesn't sound legal anyways).

Old 02-14-2015, 07:49 AM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

A notary should be able to help you with this. Not sure because I haven't done it in some time. It's seems like just a money maker but, here is what you will probably have to do.

Transfer the title from former owner to your name. Since you have no Texas plate you will have to have proof of insurance and purchase a Texas plate.

Then when you get the car to NC. you will again have to get the title changed and purchase with proof of insurance again, a NC plate.

The following users liked this post:
mkeys (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

I would not worry about a Texas plate.
Simply have the Texas title signed over to you and notarized if needed. I would also have the seller sign a bill-of-sale.
Maybe prepare a "Tag applied for" before you leave, then with all this and an Insurance binder, you should be safe for the trip home.

Then prepare for writing a nice check to our DMV for the new tag and taxes HA

mkeys (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

mkeys, check the following website on the Texas DMV. looks like you can get a 72 hr. transit permit for $25. I had my XKR transported here from Michigan and the Mich. dealer supplied a temp. Michigan tag. Good Luck!
TxDMV.GOV - Temporary Permits

mkeys (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

The Texas transit permit might be better than nothing, but I noticed the page included this text:

"If the vehicle will travel out of state, please verify that this permit is valid for operation in that state. This permit may only authorize operation of the vehicle in Texas."

Old 02-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by old_dawg
I would not worry about a Texas plate.
Simply have the Texas title signed over to you and notarized if needed. I would also have the seller sign a bill-of-sale.
Maybe prepare a "Tag applied for" before you leave, then with all this and an Insurance binder, you should be safe for the trip home.

Then prepare for writing a nice check to our DMV for the new tag and taxes HA

That still doesn't let the OP allow to drive without a license plate. You might not get stopped for it, but if you are it could be a real PIA to continue on your journey home. I still think, bite the bullet and buy a Texas plate. Then drive to NC. without any legal worries.

Last edited by gatekeeper; 02-14-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:45 PM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Out of State auto purchase

Originally Posted by mkeys
I live in NC, but am looking at a car in Texas. The plan is to fly out to purchase and drive back with it. I have been searching all over the web to find out the procedure to legally transport the car back into NC and I haven't found anything.

Has anyone had any experience with this? It seems like some states offer 10 day or temp tags, but NC does not.

I have seen suggestions to just put on an old plate, but I do not have an old plate to put on (and that doesn't sound legal anyways).

I presume you're buying this from a private seller and not a dealer. The dealer would know how to handle this. A while back I purchased a car in Pennsylvania and domiciled it in N.C. I got a Temporary Tag, information on "in transit" vehicle, and was on my way. All N.C. is interested in is collecting their sales tax on the vehicle. Which by the way, is one of the more reasonable tax rates in the country, 3% I believ. Although, there are a few states that are less.

As mentioned before, a good Notary or the local DMV office should be able to help.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:53 PM

Thanks everyone. I ended up passing on this opportunity. I am going to put the Jag purchase on hold for a while and revisit it when it is easier to put together the money for it.

Hopefully others will find this information useful though!

Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

Just one more thing to add. All you need is a bill of sale for proof of purchase. Notify your insurance company of the purchase and drive it home. There is no need to purchase anything in state where you purchase the car. In Georgia I was told by the police not to put a "tag applied for" sign on it, they even told me that it was illegel to do so. Purchased my car in Baton Rouge and drove it back to Atlanta area with nothing on it. A beautiful red 95 XJS coupe which got the attention of several police cars on the way back, but was never pulled over for not having a tag.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

I know this is passed, but one can also get a transporter tag in NC before you leave. These tags are tied to the owner of the plate, not the car.

I flew to Houston last May and drove my XJR back to NC. I bought it from a dealer though, so they gave me paper temp tags.