US Lower Atlantic NC SC FL GA

Melbourne, Florida

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Melbourne, Florida

Any members close to Melbourne, Florida?
Anyone know of a knowledgable repair shop for Jag's in this area?
I try and do my own work on my cars but sometimes it makes sense to get professional help.
I have a 1997 XJ6L that has just started having problems. I know there is a dealership in Merrit Island but I cannot afford their rates.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Vero Beach but go to the dealer in Merritt Island, Island Jaguar. So far, I've have only normal maintenance work performed and found them to be fair and reasonable. That said, dealership labor rates are not cheap and I'll be interested to see if anyone can recommend a reliable independent shop.

The following users liked this post:
panhead64flh (08-07-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the problem you're having?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant distribution pipe, is there a metal one?

I was so reluctant to buy another plastic coolant distribution pipe, but I don't seem to have a choice like I did with the aluminum thermostat housing. I'm wondering if I should get someone to simply tig weld one up for me to bulletproof my cooling system. Or is there someone else working on a mass produced metal version I don't know about?

1999 Jaguar XK8 X100 4.0 V8

Attached Thumbnails Melbourne, Florida-screenshot_2017-08-05-19-08-57.png  
Old 08-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jetmech870, I am not a mechanic by trade but I usually do most of my vehicle repairs. Mainly, to save money. Motorcycles are my thing and I prefer turning a wrench on them over four wheeled vehicles.
I do things one step at a time and have been successful with that approach.
Right now I am changing the fuel pump in my 1997 XJ6L. So far so good. My question at this point is: What exactly do I need to disconnect from under the vehicle. I can move the tank now and am afraid to move it far enough to replace the pump, based on the comments from members of these forums. Told there are two lines that are likely to be damaged if I do and that they need to be disconnected from under the car. I do not doubt this! Only want to do it correctly. I just put the rear of car on jack stands and want to do the disconnect. I also want to do it in a way that allows me to reconnect when ready without additional issues. My fuel pump is in the top of the tank. I disconnected a fuel and vent line from within the trunk as well as a couple wire harnesses. Need better info on the lines I need to work on from under the car. Exactly where are these "two" disconnect points and how does a piece of water pipe get used as a tool helping me disconnect?
I prefer not to move forward until I have a good understanding of the scope of work I need to do. Any advice, photos, etc. will help. Thank you.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm in Vero but use an Indy in Palm City. Cliff at Palm City Imports is experienced and reasonable. He's my go-to guy when I don't want to spend a bundle at the dealership. Over the last 12 or so years, he's serviced and repaired our XK8 and subsequently an S-Type, two XKs and our current 2010 XKR.

ag986 (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I use the Jaguar Doctor in Orlando. He is very good and reasonable.

ag986 (10-01-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Melbourne and just purchased an XFR-S in French Racing Blue a couple of days ago, with a little over 23,000 miles. I also purchased a three year bumper to bumper warranty, tire and wheel warranty, and gap insurance. But it's good to know what service options there are here in central Florida.