US Mid Atlantic MD VA DC DE WV

Jaguar Alive Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 145 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Jaguar Alive Driving Experience

This event is being held (by invitation) at Fedex Field, Friday thru Sunday, 03/22/13 - 03/24/13. I managed to get an invitation that was sent to a friend (not a Jaguar owner), who could not make it this weekend. A genuinely first-class event, centered around a gigantic tent hospitality center. This central tent is like what I have seen used at Goodwood and Wimbledon, as well as at F1 races - heated & carpeted, and used to display several of the cars, including an F-Type convertible. My best guess is, they have about 50 new Jaguars on site.

The event consisted of a brief presentation of the current models, concentrating on styling & performance, hosted by Velocity personality Lorraine McKiniry. Afterwards, our group was taken out to drive the new XJ - I drove the supercharged 5 liter XJL around a several block route near Fedex Field.

The next events were done in whatever order you like - we drove an XKR or an XFR on a large course, kind of like a long autocross course. We had one lap to get acquainted with the layout, followed by a timed lap. (Don't ask...)

Next, we went to the drag race segment, which they called "Zero to Sixty", but was, in fact a sprint to nearly 80mph in an XKR-S. Enough power (550hp) to give a miniature fishtail at about 30, and another at 50. There was a brand-new XFR-S available for the drag race, as well - this was its first public outing.

We then did the ride & comfort course, which is a low-speed (15-20mph) around a tighter autocross-style course, with simulated potholes and speedbumps. We drove a 3 liter AWD XJL and a 5 liter XF.

One other bonus - my 'ride-along' coach was Jaguar (and Indycar) racer Davy Jones! If you got an invitation to this event, by all means, GO!

Some pictures below, of cars on static display in the main tent, plus a snapshot of forum member Bobert chatting up Lorraine.

--Bob Collum

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1967.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_2015.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_2020.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1968.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1973.jpg  

Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1982.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1980.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 03-22-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: edit typo in thread title so it appears in searches
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Received 145 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Jaguar Alive - Event Pics

More pictures, from the various driving events...
That's me with Jaguar racer Davy Jones.

--Bob Collum

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1984.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1989.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1990.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1995.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1996.jpg  

Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_1999.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_2000.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_2005.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_2008.jpg   Jaguar Alive Driving Experience-img_2011.jpg  

Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 4,179 Likes on 3,642 Posts

sweet - waiting for my chance to attend!! They just had this event in Charlotte the beginning of Mar, but I had other committments.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Received an invite to the one in MD, but unfortunately I'm working.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:21 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Since Bob decided to post a picture of me with the absolutely lovely Ms. Mckintry, I thought I would add a few coments to what he has already posted.

First...it was colder than (ex deleted). Last year on the same day it was 78 degrees here...this year it was 28!

The driving experience and the entire atmosphere was great. I have been involved with Ferrari's for over 10 years and let me tell you I have never been to an event that was as low key and pressure free as this one. They had people there to discuss the cars but the greatness about the event was that you were free to experience and try on the cars and see what you liked and how they fit you and your personality.

I drove the S sedan on the dragstrip that was the car none had seen in the US. That is one great 4 door car. The car had Pirellis and had been sitting as all the drag racers were using the XK's...and on the cold Pirelli tires, I broke it loose right off the line...but that car goes like stink.

Overall if you get a chance to attend one of these anywhere in the country I would make the effort to go. Jaguar is spending a ton of money putting them on and they are definetly worth your time and you will have fun.

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the pleasure to attend this event at FedEx Field this afternoon (Saturday). it was as the previous posters described very well done and well worth the trip. First, everyone involved was first class and could not have been more friendly and professional. It seemed much colder than the 50 degree temperature would indicate probably due to the brisk winds. I don't think anyone minded though, they were having too much fun. Most people were driving the xk's on the drag strip today too probably because the xfs did not have a camera in it so you could not get a video.
Overall the entire thing was a blast and was a great way for Jaguar to showcase their products.