US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Any NY members available to look at a car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 09:05 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Any NY members available to look at a car for me?

Car is a 2002 XJR located at a dealer in the Bronx. I live in Illinois, so I am not able to do a test drive myself

Car has a clean Carfax, no accidents, and pretty good service history. I just need someone to do a basic check to make sure that everything works, and also check interior/exterior condition. And a test drive, of course, to make sure that there are no serious issues with the vehicle.

Please let me know if you are able to help out. I would be more than happy to pay you for your time. I've been looking for the right x308 Jag for a long time, and I am hoping that this is the one

Thank you

Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 PM

Or, alternatively, does anyone know of a mechanic local to the area that can go out and do a basic inspection?

Old 07-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_B
Or, alternatively, does anyone know of a mechanic local to the area that can go out and do a basic inspection?
If you still need someone, PM me. I do have Jag diagnostic software to scan all the systems.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 06:46 PM

I ended up buying it I appreciate the offer though! Glad I did when I did.. Guy showed up to try and buy it 20 minutes after I made my deposit.. Said he meant to come in the day before, but he was too busy. I know how that feels.

Like I said above, it had a clean Carfax, and an excellent service history. In fact, it's most recent service was only 1,000 miles ago. And it was always serviced at Jaguar dealers. It also passed emissions only 5,000 miles ago, and the NY state inspection since then.

I took a chance, but the car seems pretty solid overall. The guy from the shipping company wasn't able to get the shipment set up yesterday because he was out of town with his family. But he assured me if I called early Tuesday morning, he would get things rolling. Car will probably be picked up Wednesday, and delivered to me on Friday or Saturday

abonano (07-06-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Hey,
I'm wondering how this transaction went?
I'm always leery about buying out of state.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with your purchase sir. inspect it off the truck.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
Hey,
I'm wondering how this transaction went?
I'm always leery about buying out of state.
All was fine in the end. I had a problem with the shipping company that my shipment was outsourced to, but the car still arrived undamaged.

Overall, the car is in great condition. No strange noises, warning lights, etc. Seems like it was taken care of very well, at least mechanically. But there are some cosmetic problems that I will need to address. The first is the wheels, which I knew were damaged. However, I did not know just how bad they were. The 2 on the passenger side are really torn up. I am waiting for some BBS parts from the U.K. Once those parts arrive, I will be shipping off the 2 passenger side wheels to a place in Minnesota that can repair them. Should take less than 2 weeks once they get them. The 2 on the drivers side will be sent in later. There is no major damage, but the chrome trim rings are dented, and the paint is starting to come off of the wheels.

The other issues are minor, and can be corrected over time. The paint around the fuel door is a little faded, from people dripping gas there over the years. The rear bumper is scuffed, and will need to be repainted. The dealer had tried to buff the paint, but the scratches are still quite noticeable. Like the wheels, it's just another common issue seen with cars from big cities. Inside, there are a few small pieces missing here and there.. The clip that holds the passenger side visor in place is missing, as well as a few of the little end covers for the overhead grab handles. The brake light has come loose from the rear window, and will need to be reattached. I'll probably have Jaguar do that. The fabric cover on the moonroof is slightly crooked.. I'll have Jaguar fix that too. 2 of the pieces of interior wood have a crack in the clearcoat. I will have British Autowood take care of that at some point. And finally, the little plastic cover piece that goes behind the rearview mirror (to cover the rain sensor) is cracked.I might have Jaguar do that too.

Even with the issues that I mentioned above, I still love the car I've always wanted an x308 Jag, and now I finally have one. And an XJR 100 at that, for only $8750 shipped

Old 07-31-2016, 06:32 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Cosmetics are easy

Enjoy your new ride and thanks for the reply.

Johnny_B (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:30 PM

Thank you