US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Powder Coat/Chrome Wheels? Any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coat/Chrome Wheels? Any Advice?

Hey guys,

New to the forum.I'd like some advice or maybe a lil assistance with something. I recently just upgraded from a 2008 XKR to a 2010 XKR. Needless to say the 2010 model with the 510HP is the sickest car I ever drove. I didn't think any car can handle so smoothly with such power then my 08 model,UNTIL I got behind the wheel of the 2010.In all honesty I was never a Jaguar fan up until they started changing the models a few years back.Mind you...I turned in my CLS63 b/c I was getting tired of the Benz look.All their interiors were starting to look the same and I needed a change. In any case I'm glad I went with the Jag.It's such an eye turner and gets so much attention.The car is a pure racing machine.IMO it's much better then the CL Benz and Maserati coupe. I'll leave that discussion for another thread though.

What I really need help with is my wheels. My last xkr I had the rims powder coated black. They were 20" Sentas. The car was black so naturally I went with black rims. I had them done at a place in Long Island. What I wanna know is....other then the "chrome rim exchange process" does anyone know another color in the powder coating family so to speak that resembles actual chrome/black chrome? From what my powder coating guy told me no color other then actual chrome itself can give off that shiny look. The color I went with last time was called "Super Durable Wet Black" but the name was a lot better then what it actually looked like. Don't get me wrong...the car and wheels looked amazing. As a matter of fact Jaguar is adding that as one of their new features to the 2011 xkr's with a special edition "Black Pack" where the wheels come black. I was just hoping they'd be a bit more glossier though.I'm not a big fan of black when it's dull or flat aka the "Matte" color.

I know that place Calchrome in California does the rim exchange process or I can send my wheels out and get them done in any chrome color I want,but the turn around time is near a month (Not waiting that long) and the rim exhange process really isn't worth the money when you damage a chrome wheel. It's not like I live in California where the roads are smooth. In NY there's potholes every other block and my tire and rim package doesn't reimburse you if you change your wheels or add chrome. Not to mention chrome peels very easily and repairing it is a pain in the neck. So basically I'm kinda stuck with powder coating. Does anyone know of a place in the NYC area that has color options as close to a glossy chrome where or at least gives off that similar effect? My car now is silver and the wheels are the 20" Nevis ones. I was thinking of doing a 2 tone design.Like having the sides black and the strips left alone. I wanted to leave the lip alone. Wheels look bigger when the lip is a different color.Thats my opinion anyways. If anyone doesn't know an actual powder coating place or color maybe they can send me a link with ideas to do a two tone design on the wheels.When I had my white cls I had the rims in white,but being my car is silver I guess there aren't many options for me as far as rim colors..right? (other then black and a darkish grey?)

Sorry for this long novel. lol Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Old 03-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

a wheel repair shop can polish the aluminum then have them cleared so you dont have to keep them polished. Then if you damage them the same shop can repair the damage, polish and reclear. We've done them before. Or you can paint anthricite black (same shine as factory since its the same paint, this too would then be cleared. You can also have a pinstriper run a thin silver or red line to accent. All these can be repaired if/when you damage them

Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

oooh, thin red line would look pretty sweet on an XKR

Old 03-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Cool Pimped Out Wheels

Post some pics when you get it done. My Jag has fully pimped out wheels that coul use a little....... something to tone them down a bit. They came with the car. Your ideas sound intriguing.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:25 AM

The 1st link is my actual car with the Nevis wheels. When you guys say red trim do you mean like the outer lip like the 2nd link below? I found it I'm not so sure this would mesh well with a silver car though...no? Def with a black exterior. I didnt know but when its sunny out the Nevis wheels gives off the same exact metallic paint (liquid silver) as the car. So I kinda don't wanna do the entire wheel with one color.Thats why I wanna do a 2 tone theme and blend it all in nicely.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/lar...GUAR&model=xkr

http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com...-black-red.JPG

Ideally Id want my rim to be this color (Black chrome) but I dont wanna wait a month.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

A month from now you can have what you want (I like black chrome)
or you can still be contemplating what to do a month from now......
and how did you get a right hand driver in New York????? or did you just download the pics

Old 03-22-2010, 12:17 AM

Oh no I just wanted to show a link of my car with the exact wheels and liquid silver exterior. 90% of the google images pics of the newer Jag xkr are either black or white.I'm going to see my powder coating guy in a few weeks. I'm def going to go with a 2 tone theme.....i'll be sure to posts pics when its all done. Thanks again guys....

Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
A month from now you can have what you want (I like black chrome)
or you can still be contemplating what to do a month from now......
and how did you get a right hand driver in New York????? or did you just download the pics
I think the problem here is that he doesn't want his brand new car sitting on Jackstands for a month while he waits for the wheels to come back from being refinished. Hence his concern bout turnaround time.

Brutal, any idea what stripping / polishing / clearing goes for?

George

Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 PM

George...thats exactly correct. Originally I'd love to go with black chrome,but waiting that long to get wheels back simply isn't worth it. I'm still inquiring about what I can do to get a glossy black color. I know there isn't any powder coating option that gives off that same glare as chrome,but I'm still searching a few diff places in my area to see what can be done.In any case I think a 2 tone theme will look nice when all is said and done. Worse case I'll prob get the same mirror black color like last time. Any black mixed in with that alloy silver on the sides will look very different IMO.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM

HMMMM this sounds interesting, I may have seen your old car.....

NYC I actually just picked up my 08XK April 1st at an auction in PA.. Your old car sounds idnentical to the one that ran 2 cars before mine... It was an 08 XKR Black with Dark tints and Black Senta wheels with Arden Center caps it looked amazing

I have actaully been searching for a picture of this set up as mine is black with tinted windows and I have the 20" sentas I am going back and forth about painting them black as well....

Could you possibly post a picture of your old car? I tried to PM you but for whatever reason i am still not granted permision to so deo ceratin things on the forums.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

NYC77807, Read this post I put up earlier on the S type forum.
I read your wheel problem after I posted. My repainted wheels are probably what you are looking for. Have you asked your Jag dealer if they can get the paint from the new black trim XKR.

quote=MyBlackCat;194669]We just had 4 Conti sport contact 3 tires put on.
Took the Jag to the dealer for what I thought was a hub bearing noise.
Turns out it was two tires flat spotted and two slightly bent rims causing noise.

They threw my tires on another car just to see if noise transfered(it did)

My (love it) extended warranty covered two tires and repair of two rims and alignment

I paid for the other 2 new tires.
Dealer said to repair the rims, heat would be applied in the process and the paint would need reapplied.

They showed me the new 2011 black that is now out on the XKR special trim package.
Mentioned that this would look great on my STR rims. Got it done and it just looks killer. Glossy almost pearl chrome color just darker than gun metal. The looks the car is getting now more than ever.

Back to the topic. The sport Conti's ride great(we don't need all season here in Texas)very responsive and quiet.

All done at my DFW Dealer with exceptional service. Also just another reason for Easy Care platimum.And a free Tom Tom thrown in.[/quote]

Old 04-15-2010, 11:10 PM

NYTOJERZ....

Wowww thats so funny. That has to be my old car! Yesss...had the red Arden center caps and black 20" Sentas. I had a TON of pics of my car,but had a bad virus and all my pics were deleted.I was so annoyed!!! Actually, my black Senta wheels are on the elitecoatingsny.com website in their picture gallery. That's the powder coating place I used. But in all honesty the color they advertised wasn't as glossy as I would have hoped for. Don't get me wrong the car still looked hot,but I thought "wet durable black" would have been a bit shinier IMO. If you scroll through all of their pics towards the end you will see Blazer rims with a black chrome look,but it turns out thats the same color they used on my wheels...its just the picture angle it was taken from gave off a glossier look. I actually wanna email the gent whyo wrote above you myblackcat and ask him if he has any pics of his wheels in black.

IMO DEFINITELY get your wheels done in black!!! I loved the Senta's bc it had the rivets all around!!! I left them silver as is. Mixed w the black and Arden caps the car was sickkkk!!! Even better....there is another site in case you didn't know already Minagallery.com that has Arden like accessories!! I can't tell you how long I was looking for a chrome upper and bottom mesh grille. I ended up never getting it bc before ya know it I gave the car back and upgraded,but I think chrome grilles are hot!! They're not that expensive on that site either as opposed to ASANTI's,Lorinsers,and Brabus! I can't even begin to tell you how much $$ I wasted when I had a few Benz' in the past lol

That's funny that it was at an auction.I always thought the dealership I turned it into just kept it and tried pushing it on other buyers in the area. Whoever purchased that car got it in mint condition!! The mileage was like 17K and interior was immaculate.Originally my dealer was in Great Neck Long Island,but the latest 2010 xkr I purchased was from Bergen,NJ.I also tried PM'ing you too but for whatever reason it won't go through. Email me at RA77807@hotmail.com.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
NYC77807, Read this post I put up earlier on the S type forum.
I read your wheel problem after I posted. My repainted wheels are probably what you are looking for. Have you asked your Jag dealer if they can get the paint from the new black trim XKR.

quote=MyBlackCat;194669]We just had 4 Conti sport contact 3 tires put on.
Took the Jag to the dealer for what I thought was a hub bearing noise.
Turns out it was two tires flat spotted and two slightly bent rims causing noise.

They threw my tires on another car just to see if noise transfered(it did)

My (love it) extended warranty covered two tires and repair of two rims and alignment

I paid for the other 2 new tires.
Dealer said to repair the rims, heat would be applied in the process and the paint would need reapplied.

They showed me the new 2011 black that is now out on the XKR special trim package.
Mentioned that this would look great on my STR rims. Got it done and it just looks killer. Glossy almost pearl chrome color just darker than gun metal. The looks the car is getting now more than ever.

Back to the topic. The sport Conti's ride great(we don't need all season here in Texas)very responsive and quiet.

All done at my DFW Dealer with exceptional service. Also just another reason for Easy Care platimum.And a free Tom Tom thrown in.
[/quote]

BlackCat....

Do you have pics by any chance of your painted wheels? Here's my dilemna....I'm still undecided on where to go to get my wheels done. Grant it,I can use that Elite spot in L.Island I mentioned in my last post,but I'm trying to look for a glossier black. From what I hear powder coating is a bit more durable then paint,but then again if it means getting a glossier black color to give it that "black chrome" effect by all means I'll use paint. Wouldn't going to a dealer be a bit more costly then say a rim/tire spot that handles powder coating/painting rims?

That new black cat addition on the 2011 xkr's is hottt...I just think it's more of a matte black then high gloss. Or maybe it's the pics I was looking at. It's almost impossible to search pics in regards to glossy black rims online bc many of them are so deceiving.Take that website calchrome.com for example. Their "black fusion" pics they advertise donot look like that in person. My friend had his Asanti's sent out and when it came back it was your avg black.Mind you he waited a month and spent a good amount. Needless to say I def have to see a sample before I go through with this again. I have a few rims laying around in my garage so whoever I decide to go with will have to show me what the wheel will look like all finished.My car now is silver so I def will do black again.The theme i'm looking for is a 2 tone type though.I have the 20" Nevis wheels so I may wanna leave the insides the same color and just do the lip and entire face in black,buttttt leave the "supercharge" wording on the wheels left alone so it stands out in silver. I think that would look really hot.

As for that Rim and Tire package.....all I can say is THANK GOD I purchased this lol. Just last week I was coming home from the bronx and hit the mother of all potholes on the whitestone expressway.The noise was so loud my windshied wipers went on full speed and I had to manever my way off the exit where I waited for roadside assitance.Needles to say the "Easy Care Tire" package handled everything as advertised.I went to my rim and tire guy,they ordered me a new tire.wheel and paid for it all!! For all those who are undecided on getting this package don't hesitate one sec!! Its 150% worth it,especially if you live in NY and NJ!!! lol Black Cat..I had trouble PM'ing you as well. You have an email I can reach you at? Or you can email me at the hotmail address I left above.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

http://alsacorp.com/index.htm
Black or regular chromes available. Hope that helps!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by chknhwk
http://alsacorp.com/index.htm
Black or regular chromes available. Hope that helps!
Hey bro...good lookin out. I actually saw this site a year or so back when I was inquiring about chrome paints. This might work. Grant it....I'd have to see a sample first before ordering a specific color,but from the gallery pics their colors look insane.Theres a custom bmw done up in black chrome which is exactly the color I'm looking for. I just hope it's durable. I wouldnt wanna order their paint kit then my auto body guy tell me the paint is cheap and doesnt look as advertised. I'm hoping this doesn't cost that much either as far as getting this done by my shop. If its in the mid thousands I'm better off with regular gloss paint/powder coating.

They make the "chroming process" look so easy on their youtube clips. lol

Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 PM

If Mclaren can paint their F1 cars with Alsa paint and they hold up to races I'm sure they'll be fine on your wheels. Just make sure you get a bunch of coats of clear and keep the brake dust to a minimum and keep them clean with a bunch of wax.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by chknhwk
If Mclaren can paint their F1 cars with Alsa paint and they hold up to races I'm sure they'll be fine on your wheels. Just make sure you get a bunch of coats of clear and keep the brake dust to a minimum and keep them clean with a bunch of wax.
Yeah I'm sure their paint is durable. I mean its not like I'm doing the exterior of the car.Its only rims. For me It all comes down to pricing so my last resort would be getting them painted. I'm trying one more local shop in the Bronx that advertises chrome black and from the pics they sent me it looked very good. If it gives off that actual black chrome color I'm willing to pay $1000-1200.If its paint/powder coating I don't wanna spend anything more then $800 really. From all the quotes I've gotten from diff spots and people getting their rims powder coated/painted it should always be in the $600-800 range depending on rim size,color choice,and how many coats you want.

As for Alsacorp....a rep emailed me back and said to do all 4 wheels the way I wanted I need to order 1 pint kit of "mirrachrome" $350.00 + one 4 ounce black candy color $69.00. Of course I wouldnt be doing this,my auto body shop would be. Then I have to see how much they're going to charge for labor. So again..if it hits that $800 mark to paint my rims I'll prob end up doing powder coating again. Either way...Im prob gonna have this done within 2 weeks and I'll be happy when its all done so I'll def post some pics.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM

Sweet! Well either way good luck and post some pics!