US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

Removing Swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Swirl marks

I tried doing a search to see if this had been covered but didn't find quite what I was looking for. (I still don't have enough caffeine in me yet)

Anyone know of a good product that will remove swirl marks from my car? Specifically whatever the parts are made of that slope down from the roof to the boot. Feel like plastic? I used PE Pro Elite Microfibre detailing pads and was heartbroken to find my brand new Jag has these swirl marks. NEVER been through car wash. Only have had the car 23 days. Is there some type of compound that will fill/mask/eliminate these? This is my first new car ever and I give her lots of TLC but washing her now spooks me because I don't want it to look like it's been through hell and back. The pads were BRAND NEW so I didn't think there'd be any grit in them to worry about. Attached is a photo. It looks worse in the photo than it is but when you're right up looking at the car, it's obvious.

As an aside, while I don't mind at all washing and detailing my ride, in the winter I'm not going to be so inclined to get out there, also the hoses and outside spigots get turned off. Is a touchless going to cause any damage? I REFUSE to go through one with all the spinny brushes..my former X Type was a mess from that. Not a cold chance in hell will my XJ see one of those. But the touchless doesn't seem like it'd be a damage inflictor. Tho I did read the thread on auto car washes so "buyer beware". I just am in a panic over how to keep her clean this winter-road salt and all that crud is going to cause damage.

Thanks in advance...

Jax

Any ideas how to mask/fill/ these?

Old 09-23-2018, 03:18 PM
Received 223 Likes on 116 Posts

Is this one of the C pillars? I surmise from your description that it's the black c-pillar section. I suspect this is a soft (compared to paint) plastic. In which case, use a polishing fluid (like megiuars m205) and some elbow grease, then buff out the haze with a dry polishing pad. If the scratches are deep, you might want to move to a compound like m105, but I'd be careful with that as it will really eat through the plastic.

Additionally, you may want to refer to this video:

The following users liked this post:
JaxR. (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 03:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxR.
I tried doing a search to see if this had been covered but didn't find quite what I was looking for. ....
Are you only interested in replies from members in the US Northeast Region?

There's a lot of expertise around the World and posting your question in https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...g-car-care-20/ forum is likely to be seen by many more members with an interest in and knowledge of detailing issues.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
JaxR. (09-28-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich
Is this one of the C pillars? I surmise from your description that it's the black c-pillar section. I suspect this is a soft (compared to paint) plastic. In which case, use a polishing fluid (like megiuars m205) and some elbow grease, then buff out the haze with a dry polishing pad. If the scratches are deep, you might want to move to a compound like m105, but I'd be careful with that as it will really eat through the plastic.

Additionally, you may want to refer to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0vCMo7EyFY
Yes, it is the C pillars. Thank you vey much. Will run out tomorrow and get the Megiuars m205. They're not very deep but deep enough to make me cringe when I see them. Will also check the video.

Appreciate the response!

Jax

Old 09-28-2018, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Are you only interested in replies from members in the US Northeast Region?

There's a lot of expertise around the World and posting your question in https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...g-car-care-20/ forum is likely to be seen by many more members with an interest in and knowledge of detailing issues.

Graham
Hi Graham,

I’m sorry, I replied to you initially but it doesn’t seem to have posted. Maybe two responses in quick succession cancelled my reply to you.

No, I’m interested in responses from all the Jag family, not just my local area. Still being new to the forums I wasn’t sure where I should have posted this. I suss now general questions should go in the main XJ forum and local events here.

Is it possible to move this to the general XJ folder? If it’s too much work, don’t bother. I think I have settled on Pinnacle products to do this job, using a hand buffer. Too nervous yet to try an orbital power buffer. I just need a stretch of dry weather to wash the Jag first. It’s been raining more then not lately here.

Best...
Jax