US Northwest Washington/Oregon/Idaho & SW Canadians

Drivers here in the PNW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts
Default Drivers here in the PNW?

New '07 XK owner here, and I have a loaded question for you all.

So who here in the Pacific Northwest actually like to get out and drive their cars as a form of all day entertainment?
I'm one that actively hunts down great roads worthy of spending a day just cruising down. (My favorite option on a nav system is the "Avoid Freeway" function.) With past cars, I have often gotten up Saturday morning and thought "Idaho"................. Just how far can i go in a day.... spend the night there and find a different route home Sunday......(What can I say, I'm all little obsessed some times.)

Some of my favorite drives have been with fellow driving enthusiast, each with an FRS radio in the car for chatting back and forth while seeking interesting destinations like St Hellens, or driving Wind River Road down to the Columbia. Some would get there sooner than others (twisty roads bring out a little of the devil in me), but it is always fun as a group.

So, are there Jag groups like this about the Seattle/Puget Sound area? Or do I stick with the Audi Club for this type of summer fun?

Any interest?
Just wonderin....'cause I don't golf, I drive!

Peace,
Vince

Old 01-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Sounds like fun to me :-)

It shouldn't be too hard to assemble a nice group for some real driving this spring or summer. Sometimes it works well to have something like this immediately before another Jag event...like the day before a Jag show...as people are in the mood for cars and travel.

A few years ago I participated in JONAT-Jaguar Owners North American Tour. The PNW leg of the tour was a blast....good roads and most owners took good advantage of them

Cheers
DD

Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The Seattle Jaguar Club does excursions and rallies. However, I think most of those are on mostly flat land as there are many older Jaguars participating which may not have the most adequate cooling systems.
I have taken my XJR to North Cascades, Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens etc.
There is also a nice (but very short) stretch of curvy roads with elevation changes on the way to Ocean Shores.
Christian

Old 01-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

It is the twisty road gang that I would hope to find or put together a trip with....
North Cascades is a wonderful run, I did it once to the summit and back down, but never the full crossing... Would love to do it again.

Anyone that has not taken the run into St. Hellenes Johnson Ridge View Point (image 5 below) is missing out on pristine asphalt (Hwy 504), with wonderful corners that feel right entry,apex and exit without any effort. Windy Ridge entrance (eastern side of the mountain) has let the roads fall apart so it is a tad hard on the suspension which is too bad because the views from thee are very nice.

Hwy 2 over to Leavenworth is a relaxing run, but leaving Leavenworth head south and jump on (Hwy 97) over to Cle Elum.... Very nice asphalt and a chance to hold your speed through a few canyon twisties (Have had deer be a problem driving it in the dark so time your trip accordingly).

Already mentioned Wind River Road. But even the drive to (and just past) Cougar (takes you by Ape Cave if your into spelunking) to get to Wind River is very nice.

Of course if you have not driven the "Old Historic Columbia River Highway" on the Oregon side of the river (Just east of Portland).... well, frankly, ya just deserve to be slapped and the key to any Jag you own taken away and give to a more deserving driver. Not an ounce of speed involved, just amazing road with water falls and forest, non-stop.
Further up river and back on the Washington side is Maryhill Loops Road(image 4 below). A road to nowhere (parking lot at the end,) and supposedly used in a Mazda Zoom Zoom commercial but 2.5 miles of the most glorious corners in Washington.
Circling Rainer is a timing thing for some great views, but heavy in traffic when open(image 3 below).

Tons of great roads in Oregon worthy of visiting as well, but lets see if we can get anyone interested in local runs first!

Peace
Vince

Gotta drive..........

(P.S. Kinda cheated with images 1 and 2 as they were roads in Arizona I drove this summer.... Just like the shots...)

Last edited by CleverName; 01-22-2013 at 12:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Abby's Guy (04-11-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Vince,
Seattle Jag Club is not all flatlanders! in recent years we have Toured/Rallied to Mount Rainer (Paradise), Seaside (Oregon), Hood River (via Mt St Helens), Western State Meets (Pheonix this year), Vancouver Island Concourse(Victoria), etc. Another Organizer is very welcome!

Adrian (Founder Member (50+yrs) JDRC/NWA

Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by britannia
Vince,
Seattle Jag Club is not all flatlanders! in recent years we have Toured/Rallied to Mount Rainer (Paradise), Seaside (Oregon), Hood River (via Mt St Helens), Western State Meets (Pheonix this year), Vancouver Island Concourse(Victoria), etc. Another Organizer is very welcome!

Adrian (Founder Member (50+yrs) JDRC/NWA
Thanks Adrian,
I'll get signed up as soon as spring really kicks in... I already belong to two other car clubs (Bremerton Sports Car Club, and Audi Club Northwest) so another will just add to the fun. I can certainly toss my hat in the ring and assist where needed, but having been a core member of BSCC for 12+ years, I no longer step up to long term stuff (officers n such). I still like lending a hand here and there.

What is your clubs first run of the spring/summer? The Auchtun!ng event in Pt Townsend will be my first for 2012.
Is SJC planning on a gathering at the LeMay grand opening in Tacoma?

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 03-14-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Vince,
look up JRDC/NWA or search Seattle Jag Club and see our planned Events for 2012. April 28th is our Spring Thing Rally & Garden Tour..............

Adrian

Old 03-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Just found a slice of heaven in Northern California.
Highway 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna.

Now rated as my top "You have to drive this before you die" roads.
Here is a few clips from my dash mounted cell phone put together (sorry, not a video editing guy...).

Last edited by CleverName; 04-16-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Video vanished - Reinserted
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, count me in. I just took posession of my 2002 XK8 Convertible today, and I love going for drives. A real nice one is to take 2 over Stevens, then go up and spend the night in Chelan. Next AM, head N to Winthrop (mandatory ice cream break), then back over the N Cascades Hwy (mandatory stop at rest area at top to take in view).

An alternative to this route is to head E on 2 rather than stop in Chelan, then go N to Grand Coulee Dam, spend the night and watch the light show on the dam. Next AM go West to Winthrop ... then same as before.

After 4th of July, a drive down the West side of Rainier, then either turn right just before the Ashford entrance and head S towards Packwood until you get to 12, then take a L and cross the pass to Yakima ... spend the night then back N to Ellensburg to get some fresh produce at the roadside stands, ice cream in Roslyn, then home.

You can make a day trip just doing a loop around Rainier.

Abby's Guy (04-11-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

So the question continues...

A Drivers Run, with "Roads" being a key part of the event (And yes I like stopping and taking in sights too).

Assuming a Seattle or Tacoma departure, I think a single day run will gather the most willing to give it a go...
Or maybe plan a two day, with an "Opt-out" point where some can still have a great time, but make it home that day?
---------------------------------
Northern Route
TJFilley 's first route has that offering, as those on a one day run can break away at Leavenworth and catch 97 south to I-90 and be home snug in their living rooms before 9. Never been to Chelan myself but assume there to plenty of hotels and decent eateries. A fresh start the next morn for a drive through the north cascades?
----------------------------------
Southern Route
A southern run could start through Enumclaw travel through Rainier catch 12 (Whitepass) to Yakima. Then south on 97 to the Columbia. Night at Hood River. Take in the falls, and return up Wind River Road to the eastern side of St Hellens (has to be late in the year as both roads are closed winters). Randal to Morton to Elbe to home?
---------------------------------
Western Route
Loop Olympics. Night in Forks? Take in the Rain forest, then south to Aberdeen and back to Olympia? Opt out folks can take in Hurricane ridge At Port Angeles and turn back from there....
-----------------

Looping Rainier is a tough one as it has so much to show, but the roads are in bad shape and getting worse thanks the the National Park System having its funds cut to heck. It Jarred my suspension pretty badly two years ago and almost seemed like bumper to bumper traffic during tourist season. I'd do it again with a group, but not my first choice.

The southern run on the eastern side of St Hellens is (FR 25) is suppose to be getting pretty choppy too.

Other ideas to thoughts?

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 04-15-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member

Well, weather for Sea Fair Weekend looks wonderful... Time for a trip up into the mountains Saturday for some fresh air and majestic views.
Headed for Sunrise (Rainier National Park), which puts you a third of the way up the mountain with views of the summit so close you'll swear the hike is only a few hours from where your standing!

If anyone wants to get up close to the most beautiful mountain in our state while driving sweet forested roads, I would love to hook up in-route. (Departing Port Orchard 9am- Tacoma 9:45)

Feel free to bring the family!

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 08-02-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: desided destination....
Old 08-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

What a day!

Could not have asked for better roads, sky's and vistas!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7...78b9649f_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7121/7...93a74862_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7127/7...754e36c4_o.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8285/7...a278d4c0_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7274/7...b1da1dd6_o.jpg

Gotta find a meaningful way to get a couple more Jags out and enjoying the drive here in the Pacific Northwest!

Vince

LuvMyKitty (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing the nice pictures Clever! Image 4 on your earlier post made me drool a bit!

I did the Tacoma / Ocean Shores on SeaFair Saturday and learned that even if the sand looks hard packed... it's not. TONS of friendly folks on the beach - and an SUV with a tow rope, and it turned into a feel good event rather than a towing company rip off.

The hubby and I are wanting to get over to St Helen’s sometime soon before we get back into the fall monsoon season – thanks also for the info on your drives in that area.

If you only have time for a super short drive, I suggest heading up 509 from Tacoma to near SeaTac. Not a fast road (35 most of the way) but some nice sound views, and some REALLY happy curves. I can hear Kitty chuckling at the “recommended speed” signs every time. I’ll also take an hour on occasion to head over through Issaquah to 18 and follow the curve around to Snoqualmie and head back to the office on 90 – makes the day perfect no matter what’s *really* happening.

Once I know everything is in good working order with my girl (I'm dealing with the rearview mirror fluid issue and think some low hydraulic fluid in my top, and previously dealt with a nightmare related to the tensioners and the previous owner not knowing what they were doing), I want to do the 101 from boarder to boarder. Anyone done that and have any stories or pics that they would like to share?

Saw a few folks mention a loop around Rainier – Anyone have info on 410?
There is also an interesting looking loop on 162/165 just south of Buckley – any reviews?

I love the great weather we’ve been having up here – not too hot or dry – perfect top down scenario! I commute from Tacoma to Bellevue for work – and I have to say, even on the freeway, the sunny days with the top down make me not mind the heavy traffic!

Happy Driving!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

North Cascades Loop is real nice. Did it in my 50 Ford with six of us in the car several years ago.
30 from Pendleton to Ontario....except for a bit before LaGrande, it's almost all there....you just have to look at a map and see where the road USED to go...like the River Road from Hermiston south and up to Pendleton. Old grade is there and open.
Chuckanut Drive is cool.

I have one of the "older" Jags......even has 4-40 A/C. I drive it, RHD and all.
Grades can be a little slower as it's a 2.4L, but it does it.

I used to run the Early Ford V8 club on over-the-pass tours. Not sure how many folks with candy cars would drive it. The original grade up Snoqualmie to Hyak is still there, as is Blewitt (NOT Swauk) is 12 miles of switchbacks maintained by the USFS as a historic road. Used to do Stevens until the last washout and they decided not to fix it.

Then, Cle Elum to Ellensburg on old HWY 10, through Ellensburg, down the Canyon Road to Yakima.

Dave

Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, thanks for the input! Had me bolting over to Google maps for a look-see!

I've done the Rainer loop (via Paradise) a couple times now, just
not this year. Awesome views...
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6191/6...5bfbeb7b_o.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6201/6...c9f06fee_o.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6065/6...eb4b705b_o.jpg

Roads last year were in moderately good shape for paved forest roads... Had a few spots that had sluffed down the slope enough to slow you down as you crossed the crude patching done. Biggest problem was traffic. Poor road gets a lot of it on good summer days. RV's can get annoying at times as they finally just give up pulling over at turnouts and leave it up to you to get around them...

410 is always nice, I love the run to Chinook pass and the alpine lake at the summit. I suspect we will be heading there next weekend as part of the St Helens run!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8441/7...d5e32732_o.jpg

12 across White pass is nice too. Follows a popular rafting river on the eastern side.

North Cascades - sigh - "Come-on labor day"! (At least that's my current target date for that drive!)
I camped the western side of it once, and every day was overcast.... Loved the road, but the peaks were totally obscured the entire time, so I think I missed the most amazing part.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8441/7...4ec5e103_o.jpg

Would love to hear about 165 to Mowich lake... anyone know if it is paved all the way?

Drove old Blewitt a month ago.... very rough condition and hard on the suspension at any speed above 25mph... Still nice views!

LovMyKitty... when your ready for your 101 trip, let me know... I've done it enough down the the Bay Area to drive it nearly blindfolded! Lots of great stops I can tell ya about! BTW: Picture 4? Maryhill Loops Road? Is an annual event and I registered to do it again in September. Hope the weather holds!

V
Gee the weekend is almost here.... Maybe I should get ready for a drive!

Last edited by CleverName; 08-09-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Default Road Trip!

Well, took Friday off to go circle St Helen's (wanted to see what the rest of Forest Road 25 looked like to Cougar)...
The road itself to the eastern entrance (FR99) cutoff was OK but rough in places, but once past the "popular" section of St Helen's, the traffic thinned considerably and the road improved immensely. Vistas of the mountin were sparse, but it did show itself a few times.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/7...4c3897ea_o.jpg

On the south-eastern end of the mountain, I was still feeling the need for more curves, so I decided to extend the drive by taking Wind River Road, which in itself is stunning.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7249/7...39143b2c_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7108/7...4e697bf0_o.jpg

Hit the Columbia and kinda bounced around trying to decide if I should head home or seek more roads...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8306/7...d81cb2e2_o.jpg

More roads it was.... Continued south along the eastern side of Mt Hood, to spent the night in Bend.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8447/7...bcff8cd1_o.jpg

The next morning I got up hand headed for the second most amazing road I have ever driven.... McKenzie Highway (242)
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7122/7...7433aa2d_o.jpg
Enjoyed it enough that I actually turned around and went back down to Sisters and come up it again!...
Sadly a massive fire is running the eastern face of Mt Jefferson, so I failed to take pics as it was all hazed out....

The pass took enough time and energy that I wimped out and let the Jag chew up I-5 home from Salem....

Total distance: 830miles, and all but I-5 was pure bliss....

<Sigh> - I love my car.............
Vince

Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

With Summer winding down I took yet another weekend trip, this time to southern Washington, for a casual drive on Maryhill Loops Road (S.E. of Goldendale) with the NW Audi club....

With hairpins galore, this is one fun road to play on! No guard rails and some pretty deep ravines kept you on your toes.

It a word, it was.... Awesome!

I just wish I had good tires instead of the Michelin A/S to play with.

Ah well, maybe by spring....

Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 09-27-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Muddydog (11-12-2012)