US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

Where to get a great wax job in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Where to get a great wax job in Houston?

Anyone know of a good place to get a vehicles paint cleaned and waxed in houston. While Bubbles will throw a shine on a car I don't think they qualified to do the quality of wax job I want.

Joe

Old 11-24-2010, 08:23 AM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Most body shops offer a buff and was service but isn't there a Manheim Auto Auction in Houston? If so you may want to check out some of the "wholesalers" around the auction if no one chimes in. Places like this detail 100s of cars in a week.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Good advice from Benebob. A lot of dealerships contract out their detailing to guys who may or may not work on the dealers property. I got a wash,claying, buff out and wax for $100. Spectacular results. Do not go to the dealers service desk or they will tack on their fee for service. Go around to the back and talk to the operator personally.

I do live in semi-country central Fla. so you may not be able to duplicate the price in Houston.

Last edited by tarhealcracker; 11-25-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:11 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Good Idea..

Appreciate the suggestions, I will let you know how it works out.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

GN4HIR, I'd be interested in your results. I need to have this done, also.

Cheers

Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending on the age and overall care you've given the paint I'd be looking for the following:

1. A cleaner
2. Light buff, if you have some light scratches etc. If not you could probably skip this step and just go with a clay bar.
3. Hard wax (will give you a nice long lasting "shell".
4. A soft wax (will give you that wet look shine, won't last but it makes handing over your money a little easier),

Another thing you may want to do is take in a bottle of touch up paint for any rock induced imperfections they find in the process.

One other note, don't try to change what they use. There are plenty of good waxes out there and people tend to get good at a certain wax (i.e. know how to apply and when to take off). I think you'll get better results by letting them use what they think is the best. That is provided they are professional and knowledgable, if you don't get that sense I don't think I need to tell you that isn't the shop for you. Why take a chance with paint. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're still looking, I'd recommend Hanley Bros
HTML Code:
http://www.hanleybros.com/Silber/index.html
a high-end luxury repair shop (ferraris, lamborginis, etc) that also does what I consider extreme detailing. The most thorough job I've ever seen done but note that it is NOT CHEAP. $250 for a full detail but I can (almost) see why because it takes them all day. They will even remove the seats to shampoo the carpet if necessary.

I took the 09 XF SC in to get a door ding fixed and ended up letting them talk me into the full detail. No high pressure sales pitch though. Did such a good job, I brought the wife's Lexus in the next day. Like I said, it is not cheap but you knew what you were getting into when you bought a Jag, right?

Attached Thumbnails Where to get a great wax job in Houston?-41673a-2-.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I found this place on the web yesterday while considering the same:

SOAP

No affiliation and I haven't tried them out yet. While Bubbles are ok for a quick clean, I agree, I am not sure I want them doing the full treatment. This place seem to offer the bespoke items I want i.e. clay bar, polish and wax and the prices look OK.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by darlo
I found this place on the web yesterday while considering the same:

SOAP

No affiliation and I haven't tried them out yet. While Bubbles are ok for a quick clean, I agree, I am not sure I want them doing the full treatment. This place seem to offer the bespoke items I want i.e. clay bar, polish and wax and the prices look OK.

Actually, this is a pretty good place that I use for normal washes. Prices comparable with other regular detail shops. I really like the setup/lobby. It's in a former bank building so the lobby/waiting room is big and comfy and has free wifi /coffee and HD tv. Also, the front is all windows so it's cool to sit back and watch them do your car.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:55 AM

My wife's cousin just recommended this guy Michael Mobile Auto Detailing,Overspray Removal, and Pressure Washing -Greater Houston
who he used on his cars before he left Houston recently. That is his Nissan GT-R and Aston V12 Vantage shown part way down the home page. Not sure on price but the quality of his work is good from what I have seen.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Well, I finally got around to giving SOAP (www.soaphand.com) a try in Houston - it isn't exactly conveniently located for where I live and work but it was a nice day for a drive yesterday. I thought i would start with a basic wash/wax to see how they work, before committing to the full treatment. This cost $50 which seemed reasonable enough. The full treatment with clay bar is going to cost $315. It is a nice set-up - a brand new facility. They worked very quickly - probably about half an hour start to finish, and when they whipped out an orbital polisher for the waxing I was slightly concerned, I must say. I thought that you should only use one of these things on throroughly prepared paintwork.

Anyway, all looked good and shiny - when I got home I spent some time inspecting it more closely and they had done a decent job. But then I noticed on the rear quarter panel that there was a large continuous scratch in the exact shape of the movement of the polisher. I gave them a call and was told that it couldn't have been from the polishing as they "only use soft pads". Missing the point somewhat, I think! Anyway, I have told them I will drop by today - they have said that they can buff it out but I somehow doubt it. I am not very hopeful that they will take responsibility for it, given their attitude on the phone.

Bubbles put a large scratch up the same side earlier this month, which is why I was looking elsewhere for a good car wash, but this is even worse! I am starting to conclude that I am going to have to buy all the gear and start looking after the paintwork myself. I have been trying to avoid this after a painful 3-year relationship with a perfect black Porsche a few years ago - I don't want to relive the obsession!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 PM

If you want things done properly. Take it to a professional Detail shop.

Try this guy. Me.

Check out the XKE restoration work on the classic shop photos page.

1stTexan Auto Detailing-Master Detailer-Post Oak-GalleriaGreenway

Old 10-27-2013, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As a dealer and also someone with a place in houston please dont take your nice cars and trust them to the jockeys at the auction or back of house at most of the dealerships. These are usually people who dont have a clue what they are doing and will rub sand all over your paint mixed with some water.

Check out some of the forums for detailing like on proper auto care, autogeek, and on some of the BMW forums etc. I dont let anyone else detail my own cars or I would give you some better advice.

Dont forget the best Jaguar Tech, Brutal, is in Houston

1st your website seems nice nad prices fair...can you post some pictures of finished cars especially with the lights up near the body panels so we can see before and after corrections? Thanks

Old 10-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

The best detailer I have found in the Houston area is Humble Auto Detail. (see link below, tons of pics)

Automotive and Motorcycle Detailing in Humble, tx

There are some pics of my Jag and my friends Porsche's on there too. He is very meticulous and his prices are excellent. They are family owned and operated, and he is truly gifted. I highly recommend them to everyone.

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 10-28-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone else have any suggestions? I'm looking for a detailer in or near Spring / The Woodlands.