US Western AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

CA Jag meet Aug 18th

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default CA Jag meet Aug 18th

Please see below some excellent outline for a proposed meet event on 18th August by SARC

MEET PLANNED FOR 18TH AUGUST
Emails sent out to 2763 CA Forum members

Ok, here is the proposal

Sunday Aug 18th 10am --> muster in the car park at the back of the Walgreens at 227 Shoreline Hwy, Mill Valley.

This is about 10 minutes drive North of the Golden Gate Bridge. 10.30am depart along CA-1 over the hills towards Stinson Beach.

Turn off CA-1 at Reyes Point and head up into the hills towards Fairfax. Arrive at Two Bird Cafe around 12 ish for lunch. If you've never driven your Jag on CA-1, you haven't lived.

We did the whole route this afternoon and it was fabulous.
It will be even more fabulous surrounded by other Jaguars!

Some notes about the route :
The road surfaces are perfect, brand new in fact, except for a 4 mile stretch just after you turn off the CA-1 in Point Reyes, where there are some potholes.

I was getting a little bit annoyed with this road surface in my Portfolio (stupid 20" wheels) but the fact that I now know the road surface becomes brand new again after 4 miles would make me feel better about the slight bumpy bits.

There was also a piece of single lane road where it looks like a landslide has removed half of the road. Although we had to go one at a time through this single lane bit, it didn't hold us up more than a few minutes.
What about Traffic....... I think leaving at 10.30am is about the right compromise between putting some folks off due to an early start.... Tim :-) and running the risk of traffic, although today we ran the route at 2pm and I couldn't have driven it any faster, ie I wasn't held up at all.

The road is pretty twisty, but hopefully the views make it worth while. We saw some suicide cyclists on the road today, so you need to watch out for that.
There are signs saying CA-1 is closed to Muir Woods (which is true) but that doesn't affect our route. If we have a lot of cars, it will be pretty impossible to stay in line of sight, but the route is so easy hopefully no one gets lost.

I will bring plenty of maps on the day to hand out. There are some pretty steep hills, so anybody with cooling issues (Shawn, and, erm, me) please take note. Here is the detailed route map. It took us around 1 hour and 15 minutes.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...via=1&t=m&z=11

We went in to the Two Bird Cafe around closing time, just to see what the place looked like. It is old skool cool. Disclaimer : We didn't actually eat there, but we spoke to a few patrons, had a look at the menu, and read the Yelp reviews (57 reviews, 4.5 stars) so we feel safe proposing it for brunch.

There were some requests to keep the route length down, so I think this one meets that request. If you return through Fairfax, it is an extremely easy straight road, about 17 miles to the 101, so all in all the trip will be about 50 miles.

Once we have had brunch, you are free to either take the easy way back through Fairfax, or turn around and do the route in reverse.

We'll see how we feel on the day, but if the weather is nice, it's hard to resist the coast road. Talking of weather, it was pretty chilly today.... around 60 degrees on the coast, but it gets nice and warm when you turn inland. So, convertible owners might want to bring some warm clothing if you are going to go top down.

I will wait a few days in case there is any severely negative feedback on the brunch place... if not I will make a block booking for us.

I would also appreciate any feedback on any issues people see with the route....... if you are going to mention "traffic" I need some quantitative feedback, ie not "ooooo there could be traffic", but more like "I live in Stinson Beach and the traffic sucks between 10 and 2pm" I was also concerned about the traffic, but I don't see anything on Google traffic (when you can see previous traffic), and also as I said we drove it today much later than we are planning and it was still fine.

For those wanting to make a longer weekend of it, we are staying at this place on Saturday night......

Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
1010 Northgate Drive
San Rafael, CA 94903

.......and I plan to book a table at Poggio in Sausalito for 7pm on Saturday night. If you would like to join us for dinner, you are more than welcome.

So, thats it.

Please PM me to confirm :

1) Yes, I am going to do the Sunday drive. Let me know how many people and cars
2) Yes, I would like to meet for dinner on Saturday night. Let me know how many people.

I would like to get the numbers final by 2nd August

As mentioned before, I also have the Jaguar Forums Banner and car window stickers, so we should be able to get some great group pictures.

For those of you who have done a run with us before, I hope I can keep up the standard set by DaveC and MarcB.

For the new folks who responded to this thread when I started it........ it would be great to meet some new people, so I really hope you can make it. This is a really mellow group of people from all walks of life who all happen to like Jaguars. There is no pretense here :-)

My goal is 15 cars....... :-)

Old 07-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default August 18

I'll do both lunch and dinner (Poggio is one of my favorite restaurants, and the café is very good). I live about 2 miles from Poggio. I will be a single for lunch and dinner (my dog can stay in the car). Jerry Bernstein

Old 07-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NoCal Rally

I will try to make this.
Sunday is usually reserved for volleyball, but I'd love to connect with more Jag drivers.
My '92 VdP has 215,xxx miles and I have 2 kids, 6 & 9. Although the paint once shined, all I can say now is that I still love driving it like a Jag.I might even wash it for the occassion.
(If the foot ain't on the gas, it's because it's on the brakes)

Marcus

Old 07-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Default XJ-S okay?

If a 1988.5 XJ-S is acceptable, my wife and I would like to participate. I'm confused though about who to PM...?

Thanks,
Rhett

Please see below some excellent outline for a proposed meet event on 18th August by SARC

MEET PLANNED FOR 18TH AUGUST
Emails sent out to 2763 CA Forum members
[/B]
[B]Ok, here is the proposal

Sunday Aug 18th 10am --> muster in the car park at the back of the Walgreens at 227 Shoreline Hwy, Mill Valley.

This is about 10 minutes drive North of the Golden Gate Bridge. 10.30am depart along CA-1 over the hills towards Stinson Beach.

So, thats it.

Please PM me to confirm :

1) Yes, I am going to do the Sunday drive. Let me know how many people and cars
2) Yes, I would like to meet for dinner on Saturday night. Let me know how many people.

I would like to get the numbers final by 2nd August

As mentioned before, I also have the Jaguar Forums Banner and car window stickers, so we should be able to get some great group pictures.

For those of you who have done a run with us before, I hope I can keep up the standard set by DaveC and MarcB.

For the new folks who responded to this thread when I started it........ it would be great to meet some new people, so I really hope you can make it. This is a really mellow group of people from all walks of life who all happen to like Jaguars. There is no pretense here :-)

My goal is 15 cars....... :-)

Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Note to ALL

Please note that although I sent the broadcast to members, it is member SARC who is organising this, and it is he who should be pm'd regarding attending.

Alternnatively, I would imagine a post into this thread would suffice.

The list to date........................

1 SARC
2 Jerryb2339
3 MarcusJames
4 Rhett ( pm to me )
5 SimonnAllen ( pm to me )

Happy trails

Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhett
If a 1988.5 XJ-S is acceptable, my wife and I would like to participate.
There can't be too many XJS' on any get-together. So, please bring the car, your wife and yourself!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

You added to the list Nardoswiss?

If so please add your name to the list and any further add ons can add their name moving forward.

1 SARC
2 Jerryb2339
3 MarcusJames
4 Rhett ( pm to me )
5 SimonnAllen ( pm to me )
6 Nardoswiss

Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Heh guys - this post is just to give you a heads up about a route I know very well .

This IS a very drivable route I rode often in my road cycling days before quitting from too many dust ups with . I'm tempted to join you in my other car I've owned since 1979.... a 74 TR6; wish I still had the '65 XKE Mk. 1.5 sold about 6 years back.

I live just off the route and want to let you know it is very popular with serious road cyclists at week-ends, especially earlier in the day. Whether you consider them to be suicidal or not, they have equal access to the single lane and they know it! It's likely they will annoy many drivers - especially on some of the downhill stretches where they can reach 50 mph. Traffic volume is reversed on this route - very light on weekdays and very heavy on the week-end.

In particular, watch out for the 3 mile downhill with hairpins from the top of Hwy 1 after you turn left at Tam Junction at the outset to The Pelican Inn - great place for a quick jar - then another windy undulating five or six miles to Stinson where it will be tough to pass. Stinson Beach to Olema is mostly a little easier to get past bikes. You can then get stuck over Olema Hill and the road surface through Samuel P.Taylor Park is rough. From there to Whites Hill, Fairfax - another 50 mph bicycle downhill stretch - the road is open and plenty of space to pass but watch out for the constabulary on a Sunday.

There are also a lot of motorbikes on the route at week-ends .

Go with the mindset that you could be frustrated from driving the road as you would like, and you'll do fine .... and please watch out for the road bikes .

PS I haven't quite figured it out, but think the orange sign you'll see just before you get to Walgreen's and the Dipsea Cafe refers to the Muir Beach parking lot that they are repaving.
Btw, the Dipsea is a great choice for breakfast if anyone needs a coffee or wants to challenge the curves on a full stomach .

The following 2 users liked this post by otisbd:
JimC64 (07-30-2013), Sarc (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Maybe in the future?

All:

Would love to connect and do one of your runs, but the timing on this conflicts with the Monterey Historic/Pebble Beach Concours week of activities (aka "Holy Week")! We'll be in Monterey with the Ferrari then. But, keep us posted for future events, and drive safe! We also have a friend nearby with an XKR Portfolio who's not on the forum, and we'll let him know to sign up.

MK & DR
07 XKR

JimC64 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

All good..............keep em coming guys

Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Having just returned from northern California this weekend and having written in another post (Great Rides) about a spectacular drive through the Santa Cruz hills, I can't wait to do another. I will check with my wife and see if she'd like to visit her sisters again in a couple of weeks and will respond a little later. But I think, yes.

JimC64 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

cool, the more the merrier.....

Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Sunday Drive

I finally got Internet access down here in Guatemala and checking my emails. Sunday drive sounds great, meet some people with good taste.I think my Wife wanted to come too. I either bring my 06 Victory Edition XKR Coupe or my Wives 04 Portfolio Edition XKR Convertible, if we wanna go Topless. In any case an XKR for the Drive. Sorry can't make it on Saturday, prior commitments that sort of thing. Have a great Day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mendo XK:
JimC64 (07-31-2013), Sarc (07-31-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Talking Another two, cars

OK, count another two cars and 3-5 adults.
My sons 95 XJS and either my 05 XJR or wifes 02 XJR.
It will be an early start from the south San Jose Garlic capital, Gilroy.

Will be for the start and Lunch and look for ward to comparing notes with the tag names I have seen through these forums and comparing notes and experiences.

Cheers

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by dsetter:
Old 07-31-2013, 01:35 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll also be at Pebble Beach for the councours event. Maybe next time, since this would be a very nice drive!

JimC64 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

All good..............keep em coming guys

Some great replies and looks to be building some good numbers......I'm sure Scott will be along shortly to add his comments and update things

Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never been on one of your runs, but I live in Marin and this one just sounds too good to miss. I've driven the route many, many times and it is very nice. It should be even better being surrounded by Jaguars.

Count me in for the drive, but not for the dinner. I'll be driving a 2002 black X-Type. See you there!

Tony

The following 2 users liked this post by Tiger88:
Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default August 18th Rally

We might join you for dinner as well as the rally. I'll know the week before. Is there a number I can reach you at for reservations?
Marcus
sevenohseventooateohfivenineforeoh

JimC64 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Marcus

Just PM me on this board..... I'm checking that regularly

Originally Posted by MarcusJames
We might join you for dinner as well as the rally. I'll know the week before. Is there a number I can reach you at for reservations?
Marcus
sevenohseventooateohfivenineforeoh

Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

The numbers so far......

For Sunday, 12 cars, 21 people. If everyone makes it, it's going to be fantastic !

A really nice selection of cars so far also....... Lots of XKs. A few XJ X350s, multiple XJSes, a couple of X-types, a couple of S-types and a Series III XJ6.

But of course, I'd like to confirm more cars......... so keep sending me the PMs with your details

Quick Reply: CA Jag meet Aug 18th