Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Pole Position winter warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bridgestone Pole Position winter warning

A warning from 2008 XJR, optional 19" wheels:

This car came with Pirelli P6s, a tire with no know merit and very noisy after 15,000 miles. Several months ago I replaced the tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position "an ideal blend of ultra-high performance handling with the added benefits of enhanced wear and all-season traction. " Possibly true if you live in the tropics.

Noise: Not as quiet as Yokohama AVS DB which I had on a Infinity Q45. Much quieter than P6s.

Wet roads and rain: When moderate temperatures unbelievably good, the best I have ever had.

Packed snow and ice: Terrible. Really bad. You have minimal traction and when you lose that you have next to none. In any direction. DCS is based on the idea that something has traction so it may or may not help.

If you have to drive on snow or ice get something else.

On the Q 45 I had Michelin Pilot Alpine Sport winter H-rated tires which were quiet for a winter tire and really good overall. Much better that some Pirelli winter tires I had previously.

The following users liked this post:
XJL (01-10-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by humbug2
A warning from 2008 XJR, optional 19" wheels:

This car came with Pirelli P6s, a tire with no know merit and very noisy after 15,000 miles. Several months ago I replaced the tires with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position "an ideal blend of ultra-high performance handling with the added benefits of enhanced wear and all-season traction. " Possibly true if you live in the tropics.

Noise: Not as quiet as Yokohama AVS DB which I had on a Infinity Q45. Much quieter than P6s.

Wet roads and rain: When moderate temperatures unbelievably good, the best I have ever had.

Packed snow and ice: Terrible. Really bad. You have minimal traction and when you lose that you have next to none. In any direction. DCS is based on the idea that something has traction so it may or may not help.

If you have to drive on snow or ice get something else.

On the Q 45 I had Michelin Pilot Alpine Sport winter H-rated tires which were quiet for a winter tire and really good overall. Much better that some Pirelli winter tires I had previously.
They aren't meant for snow pack and ice use. From tirerack's website: "The Potenza RE970AS Pole Position is designed to provide predictable handling, traction and control on dry and wet roads, as well as in light snow." They were fine for me in light snow on my STR all last winter; but they would get hairy in a blizzard or on snow-packed roads which they weren't designed for. There isn't a tire out there that can perform at the top on ice and on a race track; comparing an performance tire to a snow tire is apples to oranges.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

rule of thumb: you can either have best handling high performance....or really good in snow, unfortunately not both......so the more the advertisement stresses high performance, the less effective it'll be in snow

Old 01-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
They aren't meant for snow pack and ice use. From tirerack's website: "The Potenza RE970AS Pole Position is designed to provide predictable handling, traction and control on dry and wet roads, as well as in light snow." They were fine for me in light snow on my STR all last winter; but they would get hairy in a blizzard or on snow-packed roads which they weren't designed for. There isn't a tire out there that can perform at the top on ice and on a race track; comparing an performance tire to a snow tire is apples to oranges.
+1. I can't think of any '4 season' tire that's worth anything on snow or ice.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yikes

Old 03-16-2013, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm an avid Bridgestone fan, and have to agree with most comments here.
Although I never used the 970's, I have run the earlier 960's, (and G019, and two sets of RE-11's and Blizzak WS70, and countless Turanzas... As I said, I'm a Bridgestone fan..)

All season tires are a misnomer for most brands. I use them as my winter tire only because I live in a rain state.

Snow and Ice use should be very limited and possibly augmented by tire chains.
For proper tires in that category, you should be using the Blizzak series.

The best configuration would be to have two sets of tires, Summer/Winter, to keep you safe.

Vince