Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Primacy (not Pilot) MXM4 - Experience? Request opinions ASAP.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Michelin Primacy (not Pilot) MXM4 - Experience? Request opinions ASAP.

Still looking at the Pirelli P7 Cinturato as noted in another thread where I was asking for opinions/experience, but my local Discount Tire also has a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4 in stock for an attractive price.

Here is the thread where I am inquiring into experience with the Pirelli P7 Cinturato:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...rience-126266/

Although more expensive, they have rebate going, and are willing to deal a bit on the price since they have them sitting on the shelf.

The Primacy MXM4, not to be confused with the Pilot or "HX MXM4", appears to have been introduced around 2010 as a slightly higher dry/wet performer to the MXV4 which is a bit softer ride and better in snow. ...at least that's the marketing

So like I mentioned in my thread asking about the Pirelli, I am looking to fit these to my 97 XJR. I would like to retain some sportiness in the tire, but am not looking to equal the "summer high performance" of the Pirelli P-Zero tires that came on the car from the manufacturer.

But along with good handling, I do want high quality ride, durability, reasonably long lasting (50,000+ miles actual) and wet performance as we get some real gushers here sometimes.

I drive 20k miles a year, so again, durability and long wear is important as I can't afford to change tires every year such as I have experienced with the Kumho ASX I have on the car now which are just about worn out at 24k miles.

Winter is just about here, and along with it a lot of rain and some light snow, so I need to make a decision between the Pirelli P7 and Michelin MXM4 pretty soon. Plus the rebate for the Michelin ends in the first week of December.

Thanks in advance for any experience with the Primacy MXM4

Old 11-13-2014, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Here is some information for anyone else interested in some test information on the Primacy MXM4. The test is a little dated from 2010, but it does put the MXM4 up against other popular tires like the Bridgestone Turanza Serentiy, Continental ContiProContact and Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=138

Old 11-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I wend ahead and had the Primacy MXM4 245/50R17 tires installed on the 97 XJR today. Discount Tire made the deal too close to the cost of my other option to resist, the Pirelli P7.

Not surprisingly they ride great, as they are brand new and old Kumho ASX were very irregularly worn and rode horribly at this point in their lives. Any new tire would run circles around those at that point. The Kumhos lasted about 25k miles, and were really nearly gone at less than 20k.

Will have to see how the Michelins work out long term, but I expect they will do well, and suspect they should perform and last better than the Kumhos. We'll see.

Old 11-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

My 2005 S-Type (235/50/17) is currently running a set of Dunlop SP Sport Signature tires I had installed in January 2011. I have enjoyed the smooth ride, the superb wet-weather handling, and the relatively low noise. But the tires are approaching 32,000 miles and I will be fortunate to get 36,000 miles out of this 60,000-mile treadwear-warrantied tire. The good news is that I will receive a healthy pro-rated reimbursement adjustment toward my next set of tires from my local Discount Tire guys. I've been researching my next set since July and have decided to go with the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology tire. They carry a 70,000-mile treadwear warranty and are very reasonably priced when compared to the three or four other tires I considered (including the Pirelli P7 you were thinking about). I just don't trust Pirelli. They sold far too many high-dollar tires in the 1980s and 1990s that rarely did more than 15,000 miles even with the best of care....

Good luck with your Michelins....

Old 11-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I've got about 1000 miles on the Primacy MXM4 tires now and am very pleased so far. I've run them through some very heavy rain and standing water without any drama. They are very quiet and on bumps/seams/holes that would 'crash' with the Kumho tires, it is just a muted thud now with the Michelins. The Kumhos were 45 profile tires, and the Michelins are 50, so that is part of the equation too. But based on other reviews, I think the design of the Michelin also plays some part.

Also, going from the 255 to 245 width has helped DRAMATICALLY with tramlining. Of course tread design may have played a factor, but it has improved a lot regardless.

From an appearance standpoint, the 245 Michelins look about the same as the 255 Kumhos in width in general when installed on the car, if that matters. I haven't compared them side-by-side yet (I still have a 255 Kumho spare) and although I bet the 255s are actually wider, the 245s looks perfectly at home on the XJR.

Here's hoping I can get the 50-55k mile warantee out of them. Time will tell.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 11-28-2014 at 01:39 PM.