X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learn from my mistake and build your own intake for under $75...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
I would say that there is a 95% chance the engine noise is from the filter. I took out my K&N replacement filter out for a couple of days to clean it and the engine quieted down quite a bit. Also, if the engine was quieter before the cone filter then that is what is adding the additional noise. I don't think removing the pipe is going to make is any quieter, as the noise is the filter element and not the plumbing. Using the stock air bock might help a bit, but not much.
Heh, actually I was hoping for a slightly more muscular soundtrack, especially in the lower rpm zone as I rarely exceed 3500 rpm. I was just thinking about possibly not having to replace the stock box, as installing a cone filter + proper heat shield seems like much more of a hassle.

Are you saying that your engine is noticeably quieter with the stock filter, than with the K&N filter? It seems rather surprising as the difference between those filter is just paper vs. cotton, assuming you use the stock box?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This Spectre intake has a great growl at low rpm so id suggest that

Old 05-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Noise

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Heh, actually I was hoping for a slightly more muscular soundtrack, especially in the lower rpm zone as I rarely exceed 3500 rpm. I was just thinking about possibly not having to replace the stock box, as installing a cone filter + proper heat shield seems like much more of a hassle.

Are you saying that your engine is noticeably quieter with the stock filter, than with the K&N filter? It seems rather surprising as the difference between those filter is just paper vs. cotton, assuming you use the stock box?
Yep my car is much quieter with the stock air filter then the K&N and I have the stock air box. I've noticed this on all the cars I used K&N filters on.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member

Oh well, I decided I'd order the K&N filter soon, but before that I decided to give this (Option One) Jaguar Motor Project: Motor Project # 12 - Deep Breathing Exercise! a try. It was to be the first thing I'd ever do to my car that is more complex than refilling washer fluid, a giant step for me in erasing my fears of breaking something!

Thus; "CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE"! Can't go over 3000rpm either. I was being as careful as possible, and I have inspected all the usual culprits (no split hoses or anything), so I guess I must've somehow hurt the MAF sensor while removing the cover piece for the air filter. I did try disconnecting the battery to let the ECU reset & maybe get used to getting marginally more air than before, but to no avail. There is also a rather strong smell of petrol whenever I start her up...Well, to service it is, then. Quite the promising start for my grease monkey hobby :<

Edit:
Up & running again. They replaced a split intake hose and the MAF, and updated & reprogrammed the ECU or something.
I'm slightly worried about an K&N, since over-oiling it can kill cause issues for an MAF.

Edit2:
Ordered the Spectre kit (8698, 8701, 8705) and an AEM DryFlow filter (21-2039DK) from Amazon. I decided to go for the DryFlow because that saves me the trouble of oiling, and I've heard a lot of good about them (especially that while a bit more restrictive, they are better in catching the tiniest microparticles than other filters). It does not look as nice as a white Spectre cone, though. I'll be sure to post pics when I've installed it.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 07-17-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, right:

Had it for almost a month but forgot to post pix.

Installation was pretty straightforward, although I was surprised to see that the intake snorkel was plastic-welded to the intake filter box, as I had seen everyone mention it can be detached by removing the two screws inside the box. I had the screws, but they did nothing, so I ended up having to cut the snorkel off (but left it in place). The first new sound effect I noticed was the weird "whup" when sharply test-revving the engine, not that it bothers me though since with my driving style I'll never hear it in a real world situation. More importantly, it sounds pretty much normal when accelerating calmy, so the "RRRRRRR" growl is an on-demand addition; when accelerating hard in the 2000-3500 rpm zone. A bit later I also removed the intake resonator, since it was now being held in place by a sawed-off bracket from the original intake box and had become unsightly. Didn't notice any difference whatsoever after that.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 08-16-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Oh, right:

Had it for almost a month but forgot to post pix.

Installation was pretty straightforward, although I was surprised to see that the intake snorkel was plastic-welded to the intake filter box, as I had seen everyone mention it can be detached by removing the two screws inside the box. I had the screws, but they did nothing, so I ended up having to cut the snorkel off (but left it in place). The first new sound effect I noticed was the weird "whup" when sharply test-revving the engine, not that it bothers me though since with my driving style I'll never hear it in a real world situation. More importantly, it sounds pretty much normal when accelerating calmy, so the "RRRRRRR" growl is an on-demand addition; when accelerating hard in the 2000-3500 rpm zone. A bit later I also removed the intake resonator, since it was now being held in place by a sawed-off bracket from the original intake box and had become unsightly. Didn't notice any difference whatsoever after that.
Looks nice! Didn't you notice any performance gains?

...I'm kidding, it has been a few months and a few posts since someone asked here.

Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Certainly, I am now absolutely corrupted by the absolute power. Especially as I nigh always change before reaching the torque peak of 3000rpm.

The best thing about this car for me is the "surface throttle feel"; how it feels very powerful when you just lightly nudge the throttle. And, amusingly, how nothing dramatic happens after that if you really step on it

Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks nice man.

On another note, I've finally found something wrong with your car....

You're coolant level looks a bit low.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello there exexpat!
Love your motor and the mods you have done,i was thinking of adding spectre filter cone for noise factor,anyway!,was just wondering did you ever think of removing top of air box.or the complete air box and fitting cone air filter to that area instead of at front of engine area? I ask this question as you already know and have discussed in some depth the hot air issue?
I know it looks better where you have it and with the engine cover looks great but was just curious if you had thought about that option.
Thanks for your time.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 PM

Please ignore my last post,have not had car long and am embarrassed to actually say that when i opened my bonnet today i realised what i thought was my air filter box was actually my battery box...d'oh!! Oopppss!! Lol!
Not a good first post...sorry!
Cheers!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Belfast Boy
Please ignore my last post,have not had car long and am embarrassed to actually say that when i opened my bonnet today i realised what i thought was my air filter box was actually my battery box...d'oh!! Oopppss!! Lol!
Not a good first post...sorry!
Cheers!
LOL. Welcome!

The following users liked this post:
Belfast Boy (02-25-2013)
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM

Thank you Sir.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

That looks cool with the big filter. Exactly what I was thinking of doing. We have hot summers here though so I am thinking I would probably be better off going with a drop in filter instead of doing a short ram intake.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member

A "short ram intake" isn't a ram intake btw. An actual ram intake is one that enhances intake air pressure, usually by use of funnel-like intake apertures (kinda Bernoulli's principle).

Anyway, I'm not worried about the intake temps. The outside air will be as warm no matter what intake you have. Also, while it can indeed suck in warm air from inside the engine bay, the difference in power is probably so insignificant that it can't be realiably measured.

Recently, I opened the bonnet right after driving and found the filter cone cool to touch. Simply put, there's just so much air whooshing in through the front grille and through the radiator that it keeps it fairly non-hot while moving.